Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Does anyone have experience of this kit? Normally you connect the cable to the TV and it starts whirring away looking for a signal. Currently, ours doesn't. Is there a likely candidate that's failed? I'm actually thinking of removing it - it came with the MH - as an iPad with 4G is great for Netflix etc and the dome and TV is weight we don't really need. That said, I'd like to see it working before removing it and selling it. It's still under its 4 warranty but I doubt there's anyone local could look at it.

d

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I assume the TV or an intermediary control box should tell it what to look for?

Like this:

1626798593893.png

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I assume the TV or an intermediary control box should tell it what to look for?

Like this:

View attachment 518362
The mini-dome doesn't have a control box. The cable powers the dome and it simply looks for a signal. Right now it's not even looking for a signal and the TV handily just says "re-tune" but there's no way to ask it the dome to retune as it's all automatic :)

d

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The mini-dome doesn't have a control box. The cable powers the dome and it simply looks for a signal. Right now it's not even looking for a signal and the TV handily just says "re-tune" but there's no way to ask it the dome to retune as it's all automatic :)

d
In that case how does it know which satellite to look for?

Edit: I've just read this:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Does the TV need the LNB feed turning on? I presume that would be what tells the dome is has a TV connected.

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
The mini-dome is a simple system. It's (I believe) UK only so kind of pre-configured to look for (I think) Astra 2. All you do is connect the sat cable and the dome (normally) starts whirring away looking for its mate in the sky. It stopped whirring.

d

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The mini-dome is a simple system. It's (I believe) UK only so kind of pre-configured to look for (I think) Astra 2. All you do is connect the sat cable and the dome (normally) starts whirring away looking for its mate in the sky. It stopped whirring.

d
It has to know that a TV is switched on though - otherwise it would be searching as you drove down the road. The only signal available from the TV, sent up the co-ax, is the LNB supply. If it's turned on.

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Does the TV need the LNB feed turning on? I presume that would be what tells the dome is has a TV connected.

It has to know that a TV is switched on though - otherwise it would be searching as you drove down the road. The only signal available from the TV, sent up the co-ax, is the LNB supply. If it's turned on.
Nope :) This explains it the sat cable gives it its power so it only searches when you turn the tele on.

d

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
That's what I was trying to ask. Is the TV sending power to the dome? And I would think it's worth checking the co-ax - particularly at the plug(s).
I suspect the power to the dome is the problem, I just wondered if anyone had come across this issue and found a likely culprit such as the connector at the dome getting corroded or something. It's such a simple system with very little - apparently - to go wrong :)

ta

d

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back