Road Trip through France and Spain - What Aire's or campsites did you rate?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2020
leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi Everyone.
Me, my better half and 2 dogs are off on our jollies through France in to Spain eventually stopping in Calpe. We have NO plan or deadline what so ever other than our Eurotunnel to France is booked for the 23rd July.
We are thinking of heading towards Brittany before following the west coast down towards Bordeaux and San Sebastian. For our first night we will probably be looking for Aire/camping around Abbeville.
Looking for recommendations for Aire/campsites/towns and villages in the general direction which you good folk recommend. Any suggestions welcome :)
Many thanks
John

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I would suggest you stay in northern Spain for as long as possible, especially if travelling with dogs.

We have left the Murcia region to escape the heat, and are having a great time in Galicia. Our stopping places are documented in my thread in the Spain forum. Corona Virus, Great Escape. Med. Spain to Green Spain.

I'm in an internet "grey" hole atm so links are difficult, to post.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There are lots of Aires on the way down to Bordeaux and beyond, check out camper contact, park4night, there are lots, some pay some free, some where you even get a complimentary bottle of wine. The Aires books are worthwhile getting also as you can plan ahead somewhat. Normandy is also worth a meander around before you touch Brittany, lots of Aires and interesting places to visit. Most Aires tend to be close to the sightseeing areas also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
not a lot around Abbeville apart from Long aire 5 euros outside a campsite , long OK , but I haven't been there. camper contact 19330
I use Montreuil sur mer aire, free but services payable , just over an hour from Calais.
nice walk around town walls about 200 yards from aire.
camper contact 21677.
towards Brittany we have used La Mailleraye sur Seine aire , La Ferrieres aux Etangs aire , Fougeres aire

OP
OP
U
Jan 12, 2020
leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks guys, very useful
Can you buy the latest Aires book in UK or better buying in France?

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Thanks guys, very useful
Can you buy the latest Aires book in UK or better buying in France?
Get the Aires book from Vicarious Books of Folkestone, online.

We like going down to the Spanish Med via the middle of France. Gien has a lovely campsite, but further west La Flèche is excellent, both have a short walk over the river into town; Saumur similarly.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we havent bought the aires books for a few years just use camper contact and park for night much more on there than the books ,we found the maps with the books hard to follow where as on the apps you just tap the navigate button and the route pops up

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I cant remember how many aires the books give you. Maybe 3,000. I managed to download 23,500 (Europe) for free from SfS. Dont know if that is still possible or not but then transferred them onto satnav and maps.me for no data usage search on the move

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Depending on how far into Brittany & what you are looking for
We use rural aires near water ideal for dog walks etc , heres a selection of ones we like
we love Campeneac aire C.C. 22640 free services payable up in village no ehu
Pont rean / Guichen aire C.C.918 -- 6 euro's water free no ehu
Tinteniac aire C.C. 24578 free water no ehu
St. Gildas de Rhuys aire C.C. 2184 8 euros water payable no ehu
Camaret sur mer aire C.C. 1198 7 euros ehu payable
Bourg-Blanc aire C.C. 21152 free services no ehu.
St Thegonnec aire C.C. 1169 free water no ehu not by water but nice aire & town
Locranon aire C.C.1221. 10 euro incl ehu. not by water but lovely village
Rochefort en Terre, C.C. 14681 5 euros not by water, no services fab village.

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Everyone.
Me, my better half and 2 dogs are off on our jollies through France in to Spain eventually stopping in Calpe. We have NO plan or deadline what so ever other than our Eurotunnel to France is booked for the 23rd July.
We are thinking of heading towards Brittany before following the west coast down towards Bordeaux and San Sebastian. For our first night we will probably be looking for Aire/camping around Abbeville.
Looking for recommendations for Aire/campsites/towns and villages in the general direction which you good folk recommend. Any suggestions welcome :)
Many thanks
John

If you have dogs and would like to give them a bit of freedom on an aire/stopover then use Park4night and search by using the map function and look at the pine tree and picnic area icons. You have to read the descriptions and comments carefully but within all areas there are some real corkers, out of the way, of the beaten track, not a street light, boulangerie to be seen for miles but plenty of space for the dogs to run in. We have two Springers and these are the only places we'll stop nowadays.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

We like going down to the Spanish Med via the middle of France. Gien has a lovely campsite, but further west La Flèche is excellent, both have a short walk over the river into town; Saumur similarly.

Don't talk to me about La Fleche.

Turned up twice to use their Aire and found it to be the site of a FunFair.
(Never was an event less aptly named. It wasn't FUN and it wasn't fair.) Rant over

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Or direct from camper contact either way give a free year use of the app which gives more upto date info and pictures

Aug 3, 2010
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694SL
Campsite at Ceret we thought was great but it might not be for everyone I suppose. It was so quiet in late May last year, just after the cherry festival unfortunately

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Are you aware that quarantine has been reintroduced coming back from Spain? You might want to stay in France!

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We like Calpe, me for the cycling and the wife does the dog walking along the two promenades.
They don't allow any overnighting on the streets now but we use one of two sister aires - Boreal and Austral. They have excellent facilities, are well managed and do cheaper rates for longer stays. They're a half-way house between an aire and a campsite but excellent for a long stay.
We were there when lockdown struck in March, a weird time!
Just north of Calpe into the hills is a nice village called Jalon, this has a basic aire(€4) and a great bodega. This is cycling mecca.
On our way there and back we stop off at another favourite - Olite. A free aire with water and emptying, a lovely old town and a Brucie bonus of very cheap fuel!
There's also a vet about 100m from the aire should you want to get the passport done on the way home.
Enjoy.

Terry

OP
OP
U
Jan 12, 2020
leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks everyone for the advise, much appreciated and very useful.
I opted not to buy the Aires book and instead stick with the apps. I'm have found the campercontact app a really useful resource. Still heading down to Spain despite the quarantine on return :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back