Road Trip Suggestions From Dieppe To Croatia (1 Viewer)

Harben

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Hi There,
We have just arrived in Dieppe, and are contemplating our route down to Croatia. We have about 10 days to do this. Our original plan was to go through France - Germany - Austria - Slovenia - etc. Feeling a bit unsure about going through so many countries (although we are double jabbed). Now thinking of heading south through France, into Italy, a short trip through Slovenia, then Croatia. This will be our first time , so would rather stick to roads that aren't too challenging. Any suggestions route wise would be gratefully received!
Many thanks

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Harben We have done this route a number of times from Zeebrugge so I’ll list the route from there and the areas we have overnighted or stopped longer in without having to find the campsite names or road numbers.

Zeebrugge to Germany camped in Bitburg area. Then south to overnight just south of Ulm. South to sometimes Fussen or onto Austria via the Fern pass stopping at just south of Innsbruck or more often to a campsite at Prutz. From Prutz south via the Reisa pass into Italy and then various routes to Lake Garda overnight, Aquileia near Trieste then through Slovenia off toll and into Croatia.

Alternative after Prutz down to Italy back up into Austria and then through the Dolomites and south via Cortina d’Ampezzo after overnighting in Austria or Italy in the Dolomites and down to Aquileia again.

Alternative after Ulm then Innsbruck (Natterersee) via Brenner pass into Italy as above but travel back into Austria via Lienz and overnight at Villach. Onto Ljubljana in Slovenia via toll then the toll Karawanken tunnel, beautiful place to stop. From there we’ve gone on the most direct road south to Croatia crossing the border at Petrina, a small border crossing, then drop down to the island of Krk.

Once in Croatia lots to see and do depending on what you want.

We were 8m long and 4t so tried to avoid the tolls in Austria as we needed the expensive Go Box system not the easier & much cheaper Vignette for 3.5t or less. Never had any problems with roads etc & our size.

To do the road numbers & campsites would take me ages so have a look on the maps. We use ACSI sites if available. Get back to me if you need more.
We have also stopped at Luxembourg, Kotschach, Lake Bled and Walchsee, via the Felber tunnel high up by the glacier, on the way back at different times. We like to travel via different ways on each tour. Get back if you need more help. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

Harben

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Thanks Phill and royandsharont - lots of options to choose from, and sound amazing - we’ll get plotting!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If deciding to follow the route through Austria you'll need the vignette for Austrian motorways but it is possible to cross the glossglockner pass which has to be on a bucket list without the vignette
NB the difference in vignette for being over 3500
PNB it could take the best part of a day to do the 33km of glossglockner and charge your camera.

Might be worth doing a search on MHF for glossglockner

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Warning the Glossglockner does charge. I know some people don’t like parting with money.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
All those routes I’ve mentioned above in Austria can be done off toll roads so no need for Go Box or Vignette, I’ve done them all that way. I’ve also used the toll roads via Innsbruck and obviously the Karawanken & Felber tunnels are toll & the the Italian tolls are cheap by comparison. In Slovenia you now need a Go Box if heavy, where before you could pay it, and a vignette if light. The coast road in Croatia south of Zadar to Split is beautiful but very very slow & hard work so I would always use the payable toll motorway now, cheap I thought too.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We arrived a few days ago. Only border was France and nothing until Slovenia/Croatia border, a bit of a queue but simple. Our route was Ypres, went to listen to the Last Post at 8pm, then onto a lovely campsite Luxembourg, ACSI, then stayed on the leisure centre Stellplatz in Ulm Germany, lovely place, then onto Austria stayed on a campsite at Villach on the lake, then lunch in Slovenia and over the border to Krk, then the ferry to Rab

OP
OP
H

Harben

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Thanks for all the suggestions. We’ve gone for the Mont Blanc tunnel/Italy/Slovenia route - just to limit border controls. We need to be in Croatia for a fixed time and you just never know if things can change overnight in this current climate!
Some great ideas though for another time.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Coastal road in Croatia is fantastic, Plitvic National Park is amazing.

Attachments

• 20190916_122134.jpg
    20190916_122134.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190918_124414.jpg
    20190918_124414.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 24
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
We arrived a few days ago. Only border was France and nothing until Slovenia/Croatia border, a bit of a queue but simple. Our route was Ypres, went to listen to the Last Post at 8pm, then onto a lovely campsite Luxembourg, ACSI, then stayed on the leisure centre Stellplatz in Ulm Germany, lovely place, then onto Austria stayed on a campsite at Villach on the lake, then lunch in Slovenia and over the border to Krk, then the ferry to Rab
Hi both , Can I ask if your under 3.5 t thus avoiding the dreaded GoBox in Austria?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We took three months to do Germany, Austria (Salzburg was amazing), Slovenia and then Croatia and then got the ferry from Split to Ancona and then up through Tuscany. A wonderful and amazing journey.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
We took three months to do Germany, Austria (Salzburg was amazing), Slovenia and then Croatia and then got the ferry from Split to Ancona and then up through Tuscany. A wonderful and amazing journey.
Sounds amazing , did you buy the GoBox for Austria ? Or are you under3.5t ?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We’re off to Croatia in June and depending on the covid testing which will determine which route we take, at the moment we are planning to do Black Forest down to Switzerland, then along the Swiss, Italian, Austrian and Slovenian alps then enter Croatia from there. If Italy is still wanting negative tests then it’ll be Germany, Austria (yes I have a route through there that doesn’t need a go box as we will be 5 ton) then Slovenia and onto Croatia.👍👍

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We’re off to Croatia in June and depending on the covid testing which will determine which route we take, at the moment we are planning to do Black Forest down to Switzerland, then along the Swiss, Italian, Austrian and Slovenian alps then enter Croatia from there. If Italy is still wanting negative tests then it’ll be Germany, Austria (yes I have a route through there that doesn’t need a go box as we will be 5 ton) then Slovenia and onto Croatia.👍👍
That sounds great. It's the best trip we've done traveliing Europe iin the 12 years we've had the motorhome.
We'd planned to get to Istanbul through Greece in 2020 but that's been on hold firstly due too covid and then health problems.
Have a fantastic time and don't forget to go to Plitvice Falls and Krka falls.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That sounds great. It's the best trip we've done traveliing Europe iin the 12 years we've had the motorhome.
We'd planned to get to Istanbul through Greece in 2020 but that's been on hold firstly due too covid and then health problems.
Have a fantastic time and don't forget to go to Plitvice Falls and Krka falls.
Plitvice lakes booked👍 Will check out the kris falls, we also went to Salzburg, BUT we must have gone to the wrong part, drunks and druggies lying in their own urine on the pavement outside McDonald’s , those that were upright were drinking out of cans and making people passing by feel uncomfortable, as I say we must have gone to the wrong part:doh:

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Plitvice lakes booked👍 Will check out the kris falls, we also went to Salzburg, BUT we must have gone to the wrong part, drunks and druggies lying in their own urine on the pavement outside McDonald’s , those that were upright were drinking out of cans and making people passing by feel uncomfortable, as I say we must have gone to the wrong part:doh:
Oh dear. Glad we didn't see that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back