Road tax (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
if I buy a car with road tax on until feb 2015 will it still count after Oct 1st.
But if I buy after the 1st Oct the tax is returned to the seller.

Reactions: don

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If you buy before Oct 1st, any remaining road tax can be transferred with the vehicle and will be valid until expiry.

Steve

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Thanks for that was not sure how it worked,
goverment going to make a lot of cash. In half month tax renewels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It seems to me that as the system is now entirely electronic, they could quite easily make it so that road tax runs from any date in a month, rather than the start of a month, and hence the new owner wouldn't have to pay for part of a month they weren't using. MOT certificates work this way, why can't road tax be the same from Oct 1st?

The only reason I can think of for not doing it is as you say, that they will get extra revenue. There are over half a million used car sales per month in the UK, I make that very roughly 120 million quid extra revenue per year.

Steve

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont forget there will be a double loss ie buyer and seller so you can double your estimate.
Then add insult to injury as the original seller will be buying again
I make that about £360 million:eek:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Dont forget there will be a double loss ie buyer and seller so you can double your estimate.
Yes, I'd allowed for that; it's effectively one month's extra revenue per sale - the buyer loses part of the month and the seller loses the rest.

But either way, it's still an injustice.

Steve

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It seems to me that as the system is now entirely electronic, they could quite easily make it so that road tax runs from any date in a month, rather than the start of a month, and hence the new owner wouldn't have to pay for part of a month they weren't using. MOT certificates work this way, why can't road tax be the same from Oct 1st?

The only reason I can think of for not doing it is as you say, that they will get extra revenue. There are over half a million used car sales per month in the UK, I make that very roughly 120 million quid extra revenue per year.

Steve
it is another stealth tax

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but only if you keep selling your vehicles . even then if we all go classic m,homing the tax is free. and pre60 no mot . seems thats the way forward .

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.

Steve
Same reason you dont get any change from a parking meter

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
but only if you keep selling your vehicles . even then if we all go classic m,homing the tax is free. and pre60 no mot . seems thats the way forward .
you can rest assured if we did that then the rules would be changed, look what happened after they persuaded people to but diesel powered vehicles the cost of diesel went above that of petrol

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
then we have to change again . just use the rules as they change . but dont break them .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Yep the started that tax free idea in 1997 and stopped it again in 1998 when the realisation of how many classic cars were on the road hence 1973 was the last year of tax free

Road tax is a stealth tax through and through .....It was originally supposed to fund maintenance and construction of new roads .......that didn't happen so they changed its name to vehicle excise duty and linked it to emissions but again that's a false move as a 10 tonne truck is cheaper to tax than the average 20 litre diesel car

It's just a tax ...nothing more nothing less

We are taxed on most things 3 of 4 times

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I heard on the radio the other day that if you pay by direct debit they're going to charge an extra 5% (n)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yep the started that tax free idea in 1997 and stopped it again in 1998 when the realisation of how many classic cars were on the road hence 1973 was the last year of tax free
Classic car exemption is effectively on a "rolling" basis again, for all vehicles 40 or more years old.

Steve

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Is it ?

Ah ok I wasn't aware they had reintroduced it

Always thought under the new scheme it was a joke as the want to get rid of older more polluting vehicles ......yet give the worst offenders free status lol

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
are you able to claim the outstanding tax back when you sell ?

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I'm actually amazed at how many people are completely unaware that this change is happening .....considering its happening from next month outside of car clubs , online forums etc no one seems aware of it .....I've mentioned it to several people at work and family members etc and they hadn't heard anything about it

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I remember a funster saying that when the new system comes out you could sorn your motorhome when you were outside UK then tax it again before you came home. Would this be legal?

Ginny

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I remember a funster saying that when the new system comes out you could sorn your motorhome when you were outside UK then tax it again before you came home. Would this be legal?

Ginny
No

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I heard on the radio the other day that if you pay by direct debit they're going to charge an extra 5% (n)
As I understand it that applies to bi-annual and monthly direct debits........yes, you can pay over 10 (could be 12) monthly installments.

Annual direct debit has no extra charge.

If you curently buy bi-annually there is a bigger charge than the new 5%

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
As I understand it that applies to bi-annual and monthly direct debits........yes, you can pay over 10 (could be 12) monthly installments.

Annual direct debit has no extra charge.

If you curently buy bi-annually there is a bigger charge than the new 5%

Yes that's right but i only see the benefit of direct debit if you want to pay monthly otherwise you just pay online when you get reminder same as you do just now

I do wonder though if you were paying monthly by direct debit and you changed vehicle say after 3 months if your next payment would just go on the next vehicle

If they didn't have this scam where you pay different amounts on different vehicles they could have a system where the tax was on the person rather than the car .....but I doubt that would make them so much easy money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back