Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had DVLA letter informing me that the road tax for my camper runs out on 31/3/19 (which I knew) but it's paid by DD so should renew automatically, however I wasn't aware that they still sent out reminders so assume it's because of the classification of our camper being a Private HGV and they're using it to draw our attention to the below requirement for a PHGV if it has anything other than user-accommodation 'goods' on board - it is shown in capitals on the letter:

This vehicle needs a goods vehicle certificate from 01/04/2021 if the vehicle is carrying goods/burden not needed by the user for accommodation purposes on the vehicle.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just had DVLA letter informing me that the road tax for my camper runs out on 31/3/19 (which I knew) but it's paid by DD so should renew automatically, however I wasn't aware that they still sent out reminders so assume it's because of the classification of our camper being a Private HGV and they're using it to draw our attention to the below requirement for a PHGV if it has anything other than user-accommodation 'goods' on board - it is shown in capitals on the letter:

This vehicle needs a goods vehicle certificate from 01/04/2021 if the vehicle is carrying goods/burden not needed by the user for accommodation purposes on the vehicle.
I think that was always the case...... but happy to be corrected by the usual suspects ;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think that was always the case...... but happy to be corrected by the usual suspects ;)
But why that particular date two years hence.
Maybe something's changing.....carrying bikes etc.
Bikes aren't a necessity to accommodation, they are a convenience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That was also my understanding but the inclusion of a future date suggests either something has changed or it has something to do with the age of the vehicle. Perhaps 3 years from first registration?

Interesting.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Maybe something's changing.....carrying bikes etc.
Bikes aren't a necessity to accommodation, they are a convenience.
Maybe they have made a few tweaks to their computer system so that a reminder is automatically generated. Certainly, I thought that the rules were always in force as people discussed the matter of MH garages.... a few years ago

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I did read elsewhere that someone had been pulled up and reported for carrying a motocross bike in their garage. You might be able to argue a road registered motorcycle was needed to get day to day supplies associated with the accommodation but perhaps not an unregistered off road one. I believe that horse box owners are not allowed to claim that having living accommodation entitles them to the motorhome exemption, because a horse is not needed for accommodation purposes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You might be able to argue a road registered motorcycle was needed to get day to day supplies associated with the accommodation
I'm sure the prosecution would counter argue you already had a motor vehicle to do that without the need to carry a motor bike even though it would mean breaking Camp.

Guess we'll have to wait a couple of years for a definative answer.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is just a reminder that an MOT or a goods vehicle certificate is required at the 3rd year from new. It always was the same even though there is discussion of making the MOT 24 months at some stage

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Agreed, but It just seems odd they should put a future date to it rather than a simple reminder of current rules.
I think something is about to change.
You may well be right. My own guess is that it is a software upgrade or similar, since a major change such as this would have been in the press - at least we hope so.......

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That was also my understanding but the inclusion of a future date suggests either something has changed or it has something to do with the age of the vehicle. Perhaps 3 years from first registration?
Probably because that's when it will require its first MOT so which one it needs will depend on how the vehicle is used.

Its the fact that I got a tax reminder that has perplexed me as I didn't think they did that now.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I get tax reminder for all sorts of different vehicles , including the scooter . @Minxy Girl

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Year before last I forgot my VED renewal. By the time I got the fine it equated to the VED I had saved and DVLA just renewed it 5 months late, which happened to be 1st Jan - so now is easy to remember and I lost no money.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I did read elsewhere that someone had been pulled up and reported for carrying a motocross bike in their garage. You might be able to argue a road registered motorcycle was needed to get day to day supplies associated with the accommodation but perhaps not an unregistered off road one. I believe that horse box owners are not allowed to claim that having living accommodation entitles them to the motorhome exemption, because a horse is not needed for accommodation purposes.
No but if that applies then the vehicle would require a class 7 test yearly from new.
Probably because that's when it will require its first MOT so which one it needs will depend on how the vehicle is used.
If carrying a m/bike, car etc; which aren't classed as necessary for the use of the m/home then if honest it requires testing yearly from new. The same as it would if carrying goods for sale or trade goods

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No but if that applies then the vehicle would require a class 7 test yearly from new.

If carrying a m/bike, car etc; which aren't classed as necessary for the use of the m/home then if honest it requires testing yearly from new. The same as it would if carrying goods for sale or trade goods
They've just put it on my renewal as MOT reminder for the future (ie 2 year's time), so if that's the case surely they should have said it would be needed when 1 year old? Have the rules changed?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now nobody mentioned it was three years old on that date.
Misinformed through insufficient data. :D
You mean you FORGOT that I bought it new last year :eek: ... how could you! :(

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Gus

Just assuming that a MH were deemed to be a 'Living Van' would that mean that on its V5C

D.5 [Body type] would have to be changed from Motor Caravan - and if so to what?
and
[X] From Private HGV changed to what?

If the answers to these questions are No, then the 'Living van ' category is purely for DVSA MOT Class.

Who thinks up these distinctions and how are they cross-referenced? After all DVSA and DVLA are both Government Agencies under the auspicies of the Department for Transport.

Geoff

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

Its the fact that I got a tax reminder that has perplexed me as I didn't think they did that now.
Mel
We get tax reminders every month for various members of our 200 vehicle fleet

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just had email from dvla to say my new Dd has gone threw . Sorted for this yr again no other questions

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They've just put it on my renewal as MOT reminder for the future (ie 2 year's time), so if that's the case surely they should have said it would be needed when 1 year old? Have the rules changed?
No, always been the same but has always relied on people's honesty stating at the test what they use it for. Theoretically any MH carrying a car /mbike means it is being used for carrying goods as they are outside the needs of a motorhome.

Gus

Just assuming that a MH were deemed to be a 'Living Van' would that mean that on its V5C

D.5 [Body type] would have to be changed from Motor Caravan - and if so to what?
and
[X] From Private HGV changed to what?

If the answers to these questions are No, then the 'Living van ' category is purely for DVSA MOT Class.

Who thinks up these distinctions and how are they cross-referenced? After all DVSA and DVLA are both Government Agencies under the auspicies of the Department for Transport.

Geoff
The best person to answer this is @vwalan as he has one & I'm sure can explain it.
Iwas reading an excellent article on it all the other day & thought I had book marked it but don't appear to have done so.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is just a reminder that an MOT or a goods vehicle certificate is required at the 3rd year from new. It always was the same even though there is discussion of making the MOT 24 months at some stage
It was announced in the Budget several years ago the NEW car etc would need an MOT after 4 Years but it never happened.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

The part in the italics refers to the definition of a motorhome as being a living van if it also carries goods/burden not needed by the user for accommodation as has been discussed on other posts several times however i'm not sure that the DVLA have got that definition correct, if you check the construction and use regs. the definition seems different to me.

living van. a vehicle used primarily as living accommodation by one or more persons, and which is not also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle.

My emphasis on not,

Check the following link and scroll down the expressions until you get to Living van, and see what you think.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

I have not been able to find any later amendments to that part of the act.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back