Road Tax - in Spain forgot to renew (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My understanding is that there is no additional cost for paying by DD, if it is a single annual payment. The charges are incurred if the payment is made monthly, and spread over the year
Correct. You can set it up to pay a single annual payment by DD or have it deduced monthly with a 'premium' for doing so (I think it works out at 5%) - this is what we do as it means that if we decide to SORN it for some reason we don't then have to apply for a refund either. We have all our vehicles on monthly DDs ... one of the Smarts costs £1.75 a month, so the extra cost is just £1 per year!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My understanding is that there is no additional cost for paying by DD, if it is a single annual payment. The charges are incurred if the payment is made monthly, and spread over the year

I hope you manage to sort it all out. I too have put my MH and car onto monthly DD it only costs £9 per annum per vehicle. An international call to sort out a problem would be more never mind the stress. Good luck with it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I forgot to renew ours last month. DVLA sent me a "Last chance reminder" letter, no fine. Its good to know that they do give you a chance.

Hope your call goes well and your fine is minimum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I forgot to renew ours last month. DVLA sent me a "Last chance reminder" letter, no fine. Its good to know that they do give you a chance.

Hope your call goes well and your fine is minimum.
They also still send a reminder as they used to do.....if they remember, dont relay on it though.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Guardia Civil Trafico in Spain, have had the ability to check the status of UK vehicles with DVLA since the beginning of this year. Graham Skelton in The Costa Blanca News, reported that he has had a lot of Brits requesting help to put their vehicles legal as a result of them being stopped and checked.

Don't have to be a Guardia Civil Traffico, ANY BODY can check the road tax & MOT status of any vehicle see here https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
does all this mean if your parked on a spanish site for 2 months you could sorn the vehicle and cash in the tax?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
does all this mean if your parked on a spanish site for 2 months you could sorn the vehicle and cash in the tax?
I think you need to have it 'legal' for use on the road for the country it's from for insurance cover purposes when abroad ... so AFAIK not officially unless you want to risk not having any insurance cover!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Officially you can only SORN if the vehicle is in the UK. Not that I've ever done otherwise of course :), although now you have to give your reg on ferry crossings you do wonder if they now cross check these things.
I use an app on my phone called My Cars to keep track of expiry dates for tax, insurance and MOT.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Don't have to be a Guardia Civil Traffico, ANY BODY can check the road tax & MOT status of any vehicle see here https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Sorry to disagree but this system has a massive flaw; unless you enter the vehicle make exactly as the supplying dealer entered it it will not work. In my case Niesmann + Bischof comes up as a prompt as soon as you get past nies but it will not work. Ive reported it many times but they will not even acknowledge.

Of course some makes are more prone to erroneous entry than others but the way people spell these days makes me wonder how many people have 'reno's' etc.

My bigger issue is that why will they not email the reminders? everything else is being done online ( compulsory) why cant the reminders be also?

Jon

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It's all progress so they tell us! I've been driving and taxing cars for past 48 years and never had any issues. If I'd had a tax disc still on display I'm quite certain I would have been reminded it ran out in Dec 15! Although the screens have been up, they've come off for a wash and brush up...no way I would not have noticed.

I'll let the mad Monday morning rush get out of the way before I call and hope I get a call centre agent that's had a pleasant weekend :rolleyes:.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I agree, but I posted to warn that the Guardia Civil ARE doing it with British Registration vehicles they stop or have any other reason to check them, such as Wild Parking issues.

We have had post on this and other forums asking for places to MOT on return to the UK (ie. Dover). Often these people say once MOTd they will be able to tax online.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've just come off the phone from those lovely folk at the DVLA. Only 3 mins of waiting after some press 1 for this and 2 for that, had to laugh when "If your a funster in Spain and have forgotten to tax your vehicle" came up ;).

You can tell from my jest that my call went very well indeed. Nice fellow named Tom was very understanding, first he checked if any fines had been issued ...to my surprise and delight none had :), then took my payment from my card to tax me from 1st March. I was then transfered to Emma on the arrears team who took the Jan/Feb payments.

Not sure why no fine was issued, guess I was just lucky and @abforfun you we're not quite so lucky :(. If you ring 0300 7906813 (I just dialled that number direct) they will sort out the fine payment and tell you if the arrears needs paying. You never know, if you explain circumstances (old, silly, genuine mistake, very sorry etc) they may drop fine? Worth a go, good luck (y).

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Just rung them and have been fined it cost a total of £58.75 so don't suppose that was an awful lot extra

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I've just come off the phone from those lovely folk at the DVLA. Only 3 mins of waiting after some press 1 for this and 2 for that, had to laugh when "If your a funster in Spain and have forgotten to tax your vehicle" came up ;).

You can tell from my jest that my call went very well indeed. Nice fellow named Tom was very understanding, first he checked if any fines had been issued ...to my surprise and delight none had :), then took my payment from my card to tax me from 1st March. I was then transfered to Emma on the arrears team who took the Jan/Feb payments.

Not sure why no fine was issued, guess I was just lucky and @abforfun you we're not quite so lucky :(. If you ring 0300 7906813 (I just dialled that number direct) they will sort out the fine payment and tell you if the arrears needs paying. You never know, if you explain circumstances (old, silly, genuine mistake, very sorry etc) they may drop fine? Worth a go, good luck (y).

That's a result (y)

Cheers

Trevor

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Just for information, my brother who is in the process of moving to Benalmadena using his work van was stopped by the police and because he had no current road tax, (The traffico just scanned his number plate and they were informed immediately that he did not have valid road tax. hadn't realised it had run out in all his excitement it was out of date by 3 weeks!!) his van was impounded on the spot and taken to a secure compound in Torremolinos and he had to pay a €200 fine and compound fees and have proof of road tax before it was released to him.

You have been warned it could happen to anyone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back