road tax confusion (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If i sell a vehicle after 1st october i cant transfer the remaining tax with the vehicle.....or can i if it is a paper disc.

Surely the new rule applies to electronic data not existing paper discs....or does it ?

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
There's not been much advice from gov.UK about the changes has there? I don't know how I have to get my next lot of road tax?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you just take the reminder to the post office or do it on line or telephone . its not difficult .
yes john you send your tax back . you might have a disc but its all on electronic already.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I thought they weren't sending anything through the post now, do you think they will still send out renewal forms then?

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you just take the reminder to the post office or do it on line or telephone . its not difficult .
yes john you send your tax back . you might have a disc but its all on electronic already.
Bugger....looks like i lost a month then.

Runs out in a few months but if the rv sells tommorrow or monday i cant send the disc back due to being stuck in Dundee until tuesday.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought they weren't sending anything through the post now, do you think they will still send out renewal forms then?
I doubt it....that was the one reason for scrapping the disc....paperwork and postage costs.
If they send reminders they may as well have continued posting discs.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I renewed the RFL on Harriet on Friday, the last page online was a reference number and a note saying that as I do not require a tax disc one will not be sent to me.

Made sure I printed off the ref number in case of cock ups.

Hymie.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I would remove any expired tax disc,s from your windscreen if going abroad as it will be difficult to explain to police overseas what the new system is

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have read somewhere that after Oct 1 you have the choice of keeping any valid tax disc on show or you can scrap it ... therefore all the details must be on the new system.
If this is the case then if you sell your rv on or before Tuesday 30th Oct you should automatically get a full refund of outstanding tax without the necessity of returning the disc.
Another option would be to go on line and SORN the vehicle immediately and again you should receive the full refund.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
......................And I was told yesterday that a sticky type 'strip' is going to be issued, which you will put inside the windscreen, which will be readable from bridge cameras, and all the other cameras, and will supply full details regarding car and driver.........More 'Big Brother'......
They are now worried that legal car numbers are going to be cloned big time. You can get a set of plates off ebay without supplying car ownership info. So someone clocks a similar vehicle to their own, gets a set of plates made up, and bingo, automatic tax, MOT and insurance, but really it's someone else's........:(

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
......................And I was told yesterday that a sticky type 'strip' is going to be issued, which you will put inside the windscreen, which will be readable from bridge cameras, and all the other cameras, and will supply full details regarding car and driver.........More 'Big Brother'......
They are now worried that legal car numbers are going to be cloned big time. You can get a set of plates off ebay without supplying car ownership info. So someone clocks a similar vehicle to their own, gets a set of plates made up, and bingo, automatic tax, MOT and insurance, but really it's someone else's........:(

I would never of guessed that would of happened o_O

So the clever bods have now saved a few quid and cost us twice the saving

Dam cant find a wa**er giff :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i renewed the tax on my m,bike earier this month . got no disc . the post office owners told me reminders will come out . he gave me a receipt with a ref number .
the tax uns out this month . i had hoped i might of got a nice new disc that i could have framed as a momento. but they have already stopped issuing discs .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Runs out in a few months but if the rv sells tommorrow or monday i cant send the disc back due to being stuck in Dundee until tuesday.

You can SORN and apply for a refund at the same time by using form V14 - it's is downloadable so do it when you get home (if you can't do it before) or check to see if a Post Office has it where you are - just click on the link below to go to the webpage:

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

SORN and tax discs

You can apply by post for a tax disc refund and make a SORN at the same time using form V14.

So long as you POST the disc back ON TUESDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2014 and get a posting receipt from the Post Office (FOC) you then have proof that you sent it back on the last day of the month and therefore will not lose another month.

Alternatively ring them tomorrow and see if you can do anything over the phone.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say i,m a believer in using your localpost office . use it for what ever you can . if more keep using online or telephone things we will end up with no local post offices . use the post office you know it makes sense .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
must say i,m a believer in using your localpost office . use it for what ever you can . if more keep using online or telephone things we will end up with no local post offices . use the post office you know it makes sense .
Yes, but unfortunately a lot of the time they don't have the bl**dy forms!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I suspect there will be many with good intentions who accidentally don't renew. I have just renewed mine but went through a senior moment wondering if I had or had not done it. It's easy to put stuff on a "todo" pile and then forget it. With a tax disc staring you in the face every time you go to your vehicle it did not matter if you forgot for a short time because you would see the disc.

Equally, you knew when it was coming due by the same technique. Get ready for some big fines for failure to tax your vehicle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suspect there will be many with good intentions who accidentally don't renew. I have just renewed mine but went through a senior moment wondering if I had or had not done it. It's easy to put stuff on a "todo" pile and then forget it. With a tax disc staring you in the face every time you go to your vehicle it did not matter if you forgot for a short time because you would see the disc.

Equally, you knew when it was coming due by the same technique. Get ready for some big fines for failure to tax your vehicle.
There's nothing to stop you putting a sign in your windscreen where your task disc would have been, or even at the drivers side, stating when it's due, that way you still have a visual reminder - it would also be a good place to put your vehicle measurements! (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
.... Jim/Sian ... I've just thought of a new 'line' in sales for you .... MH size, insurance, tax etc info disc ....

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm not suggesting that forgetting to renew the tax disc is inevitable. Merely, that a tiny percentage will fall through the cracks without the tax disc winking at them on a regular basis.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I'm not suggesting that forgetting to renew the tax disc is inevitable. Merely, that a tiny percentage will fall through the cracks without the tax disc winking at them on a regular basis.[/QUOte

you will still get the reminder sent by Swansea 4 weeks before it is due.

Hymie.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm sure the real confusion will come on Wednesday 1st when the system is supposed to go live.....

I shall no doubt find out as I need to tax a vehicle, which is currently SORNed, on that day as they wont let me do it in advance.:doh:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm sure the real confusion will come on Wednesday 1st when the system is supposed to go live.....

I shall no doubt find out as I need to tax a vehicle, which is currently SORNed, on that day as they wont let me do it in advance.:doh:

We pick up our new to us MH on Saturday 4th. I hope they have sorted it by then. We have planned to take the "Log Book" into the PO and see if that helps as we need to both tax it and change owners.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Suppose you sorn it last day of the month( is that the same thing)
As sending it back just done electronically

New owner could use your puter to tax it on the first
Don't think you can sell on a vehickle with tax on it
Unless you deliver it with tax on

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Suppose you sorn it last day of the month( is that the same thing)
As sending it back just done electronically

New owner could use your puter to tax it on the first
Don't think you can sell on a vehickle with tax on it
Unless you deliver it with tax on
You wont be allowed to sell a vehicle with current road tax at all.

Tax disc must be surrendered by the current owner and new tax bought by the new owner.

More 'overlap' (part month refund and part month purchase) money for DVSA.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont see how it can be possible for a new owner to tax the vehicle the moment they pick it up.

On line service is fine but the vehicle is still registered to the seller, not the buyer.
And unless the buyer has pre-insured it then it wont be on the database as insured by the buyer anyway so online tax wont be possible anyway.

Typical DVSA f*** up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back