Road Tax + £40,000 "Tax" (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Forgive me, I did search the forums for the answer to this question, I just found lots of references to posts containing the word 'Road' :(
For a 2.3 Euro 6 Fiat (I think about 170kg Co2) are there any horrendous charges for road tax ? and how about the luxury vehicle tax for value over £40K ?
Did motorhomes manage to be exempt from any of this ?

Many thanks

Paul

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This what I found and as most motorhomes are multi stage and the final CoC does not have co2 then it will apply.
Motorhomes, kit builds and multi-stage build
vehicles which do not have a CO
2 emissions figure
on the final type approval will continue to be taxed
as PLG or PHGV depending on weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I’m just curious about this, it’s something I didn’t get the chance to ask the salesman about. The van is a Rollerteam T-Line 590. I’ve no idea what’s printed on it’s official paperwork to be honest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Might be worth searching for emissions tax or VED (Vehicle Excise Duty). Road tax was abolished years ago.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Forgive me, I did search the forums for the answer to this question, I just found lots of references to posts containing the word 'Road' :(
For a 2.3 Euro 6 Fiat (I think about 170kg Co2) are there any horrendous charges for road tax ? and how about the luxury vehicle tax for value over £40K ?
Did motorhomes manage to be exempt from any of this ?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you buy a motorhome then in theory it will not have a Co2 figure stated on the Certifcate of Conformity. This means that the vehicle duty rate will go off the MIRO weight and not the Co2 rate or 'posh rate' of vehicles worth over £40k.

Once the Fiat Euro-6 base vehicle is converted by the MoHo manufacturer then the CO2 figure on the Doc normally disappears

Better still, which van are you considering as we can then be a bit more accurate with our info.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
We have just bought a new motorhome and on our V5C it has Peugeot as the make and Elddis Encore 255 as the model.

So the original chassis Co2 figure gets lost and it is taxed according to the weight so sensible annual payment.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK the ONLY campers that may be subject to the extra 'luxury' CO2 emission charge are those made by the base vehicle manufacture, eg VW, I'm not aware of any others falling foul of the new tax rules.

Upvote 0

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
In theory the vehicle is secondhand when you buy it as new as the base vehicle is sold to the converters first at a lot lower price .

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If I put the reg'n number of my 2016 car into this DVLA website it shows its emissions rating, type approval and revenue weight..........but not the emissions for my rather old m/h strangely. It may show figures for your newer m/h though.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Everything is now in place for my order, I was able to check today with the salesman, on this motorhome at least, there is no 'luxury tax', and the road tax isn't surcharged, so that's good news at least !

thanks for all of your replies

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
AFAIK the ONLY campers that may be subject to the extra 'luxury' CO2 emission charge are those made by the base vehicle manufacture, eg VW, I'm not aware of any others falling foul of the new tax rules.

I don't think VW put the emissions down anymore as they got caught out, as did many owners , around 2006/7 with vehicles falling in to the 500 pound tax bracket unlike the year previous & after which were a third of that figure.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back