LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just tried to Sorn mine as the renewal document came through, but it won't let me because it is already on Sorn? Is that normal?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just tried to Sorn mine as the renewal document came through, but it won't let me because it is already on Sorn? Is that normal?

When I sorned ours we had an email confirming the sorn and some words that I interpreted as that unlike previously we would not need to renew the sorn and the sorn would stay in place until it was taxed again.

So as I understand it (and I may easily be mistaken) once a vehicle is sorned it stays that way until you say otherwise. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have just done same.. Due at the end of December.
Already been online and clicked the pay monthly box... £172 over 12 payments compared. to £165 in one hit.. All helps with the budgeting, especially when the insurance and hab check are due at same time...

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you elect to pay monthly do you get back the monthly payments when sorned or do you carry on paying the monthly payments

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Just done the wifes monthly and will do mine in a week or two. Best thing they have ever done. :)

I'll be using the mh all year around though so wont be doing that when I get it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I always thought a DD could only be stopped by the receiving person

Im probably wrong though :unsure:

I think its a bit poor you have to pay extra to pay monthly, i would have thought because they are getting regular payments it would be cheaper. maybe i was just hoping :D

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I always thought a DD could only be stopped by the receiving person

Im probably wrong though :unsure:

I think its a bit poor you have to pay extra to pay monthly, i would have thought because they are getting regular payments it would be cheaper. maybe i was just hoping :D

You should be able to cancel a Direct Debit with your bank although you should also tell the payee.

I suppose DVLA think they are doing you a favour by 'lending' you the money in order to be able to pay monthly :)

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
[QUE"Janine, post: 1214300, member: 142"]You should be able to cancel a Direct Debit with your bank although you should also tell the payee.

I suppose DVLA think they are doing you a favour by 'lending' you the money in order to be able to pay monthly :)[/QUOTE]
I for one dont mind the DVLA doing me a favour costing me less than 4p per day if i dont have to find £230 in one hit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you elect to pay monthly do you get back the monthly payments when sorned or do you carry on paying the monthly payments
Once you declare sorn the Direct Debit is cancelled automatically.....there will be no refund as no payments have been made after the sorn date.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I got fined because one of my motorbikes was not sorned on renewal of sorn time?????
It was on sorn but I got the form after a year off the road in bits for rebuilding, and thought ,It is already on Sorn so did nothing. I got fined a £100 although the tax was about £10.
They would accept NO EXCUSE pay the fine, It is a tax on not paying tax.
Check VERY carefully the day after the Sorn Date is due and then redo it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I got fined because one of my motorbikes was not sorned on renewal of sorn time?????
It was on sorn but I got the form after a year off the road in bits for rebuilding, and thought ,It is already on Sorn so did nothing. I got fined a £100 although the tax was about £10.
Thank you. That's what I thought might happen.. even though I have tried to 'renew' the sorn and they wouldn't let me on the computer. I will go into the post office and see what they say.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That's what used to happen but the system changed for sorns back in 2013. Still worth checking though Joy.

I think we will go to monthly DD when we put the van back on the road in March - the extra money very little - and it means that if you do sorn you are not waiting to get your money back.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have in the past always paid for a full years road fund licence and will continue to do the same with the new system,reason being i will never pay 1 penny more than i need to.to this government or any other government past or future.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
The extra money on monthly DD is extra 5%. If you have the full money in your bank or saving account, you are not gaining this days 5% interest tax free from on your money!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The old adage of ignorance is no excuse is the one that all these department of government use.
The information is not easily or widely distributed to the public and when something is done or NOT done then the PENALTY becomes the order of the day, because you are supposed to know what every little twist and turn of regulation means and that the change means another cost or penalty is forfeit.
I honestly believe that they arrange things to coincide and clash at the same time so that you will fall foul of something. There is very little chance of ever appealing against some these things as they WANT THE MONEY. that above all is why this shit occurs. I have never heard of half the things we could do to that will cost money in the form of penalty, not fines, because that is for courts to decide but there you have a chance to plead in front of the court. IT'S THE MONEY.. Fail to pay a penalty it doubles. fail again and the bailiffs come. No appeal nothing and we all let this happen, it sneaks up and then too late. Paranoid, maybe I am, but right, i think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a vehicle is currently on SORN then it will now remain on SORN until its either taxed or sold.....even if it was SORN'd 11 months ago.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
For those that think that monthly direct debits should be cheaper and not dearer remember that they have to deal with 12 transactions instead of 1 per annum in terms of bookkeeping and accounting.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Why sorn your motorhome? Why don't you use your MH during the winter?
Just interested!
colyboy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If a vehicle is currently on SORN then it will now remain on SORN until its either taxed or sold.....even if it was SORN'd 11 months ago.
Hi John, whether that the case or not, just to let you know what happened to me when I went to the post office.

I took the renewal document with me and explained that my vehicle was sorned already and I wished the sorn to continue. I explained that I had been on the computer and the computer wouldn't let me do anything and that I had been told ... 'as per your post above' from several people.

The woman took the renewal off me and said no, it needs to be registered here... She scanned the bar code thingy at the bottom of the renewal onto her machine and said 'All done'.

What you say is possibly so but as stated they seem to delight in finding quirks and niggles and then we have no come back.. so it may be worth others noting what happened to me.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Love the monthly payments via direct debit. No more finding £230. In one hit. Now £20 per month love it. OK so you pay a little more ,but 25p per week extra, ? I can live with that..
Think you're right. We pay everything else by monthly DD and keeps budgeting simpler. Just hope that sorning won't be a problem if needed when I DD the van this way. £23.1875 p'mth for her indoors car.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I sorned the project bike ages ago ( as in three years ) and have checked it diligently ever since, but it is still coming up as sorn'd so no issue at all

The problem with PO staff is that while they think they know it all, very often they do not ! ( and if your local 'main post office' is anything like ours, while 50% of the staff are helpful the other 50% make some of the right noises but in truth should NOT be in a customer facing job !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back