Rm4505 dometic Electrolux fridge freezer not working (1 Viewer)

Bradybunch

Free Member
Jul 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
August 2018
Hello our motorhome fridge packed up on us a couple of weeks back. The PCB has no blown fuses but there doesn't seem to be any electric going to it. So I'm thinking main fuse box which I am having checked our by an electrician on thursday.

The fridge is 19 years old and the parts obsolete so I am looking at a plan B. How easy is it to change a fridge?

Attachments

• 20190706_133534.jpg
    20190706_133534.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190706_092948.jpg
    20190706_092948.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 147

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's not that difficult, bearing in mind you'll be maneuvering a heavyish object in a confined space. Remember you'll need to disconnect the gas and 240/12v connections first, but they're usually quite accessible, probably behind the lower fridge external vent. For one reason or another I've taken mine out a few times, holding screws usually behind plastic screw covers just inside the fridge door.

Your problem is going to be finding another but if you Google your fridge name and model number, plus "replacement" you'll come up with a few ideas. But the same Google search I did came up with quite a few parts too so you might try those first.

Oh yes, and :welcome4:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Make sure it will fit thru the hab door, heard of some going thru windows, after dismantelling same and some had to be taken through the cab doors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Free Member
Jul 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
August 2018
I'm hoping it's a blown fuse. I did take it to a repair place but I don't think they even looked at it. I know that a new replacement is about 2k which is a daft amount of money. Just took the vents of and there seems to be electric going to fridge which means it might be the pcb! ??

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That resistor just below the top left glass fuse looks as if it's overheated a bit ? Might be worth having someone check it out ?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Just remember LPG is very dangerous, Yes you can save money DIY but you can also DIE as well.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I know that a new replacement is about 2k which is a daft amount of money. Just took the vents of and there seems to be electric going to fridge which means it might be the pcb!
The fridge works by heat applied to the cooling circuit, which circulates the refrigerant gas/liquid mixture and magically produces cooling. The heat can be a 12V element, a 240V element or a small gas flame. The control board switches between the heat sources, either manually or automatically.

First thing to find out is, does the cooling circuit still work? I'm assuming that turning the control knob to 240V doesn't have any effect.

The 240V element is located down near the gas flame. The 12V element is next to it. You could disconnect the wires to the 240V element, and if you can use a meter on the 'ohms' setting, check the element's resistance value. It should be about 200 to 300 ohms.

If it's OK, you could connect the element directly to a wire with a 240V plug on it. Plug it in and wait for a few hours to see if the fridge starts cooling. Of course don't leave it like that for a long time, because you're bypassing the thermostat. Then at least you will know that the cooling circuit is working and it's worth buying a new control board if that's the problem.

Qiki

Free Member
May 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
hymer b754
That resistor just below the top left glass fuse looks as if it's overheated a bit ? Might be worth having someone check it out ?
Iā€™m having the same problem ( 220 v working sporadically and switching to gas also all the time . The resistor you see that looks a bit overheated , my pcb and this resistor looks exactly the same . Is it possible to get the resin out and solder another resistor? Iā€™m not sure the pcb can be replaced for such an older model. Iā€™m concidering halving the heat element 220v renewed ( the reading Iā€™d about 250 ohm, but gets a bit higher or lower when heated. Is it worn out, instable ? Iā€™m also concidering a self built in thermostat and connect the heat element myself to 220 vā€¦.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Iā€™m having the same problem ( 220 v working sporadically and switching to gas also all the time . The resistor you see that looks a bit overheated , my pcb and this resistor looks exactly the same . Is it possible to get the resin out and solder another resistor? Iā€™m not sure the pcb can be replaced for such an older model. Iā€™m concidering halving the heat element 220v renewed ( the reading Iā€™d about 250 ohm, but gets a bit higher or lower when heated. Is it worn out, instable ? Iā€™m also concidering a self built in thermostat and connect the heat element myself to 220 vā€¦.
The resistor has probably just been getting warm, some do when operated near their wattage rating, they get a lot blacker than that before failing.
The heater sounds OK too, when they fail they go open circuit.

You could fit one of these controllers on the mains element, they are Chinese but good quality, I've used a few.

Elitech Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat AC110V-220V External Temperature Sensor -50 ā„ƒ ~ 99 ā„ƒ, STC-1000X Amazon product ASIN B087NF5LVX

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
w2f

You could even set the above controller up to auto defrost (ie fix the sensor on the evap and set cut in to +3.5Ā°c šŸ‘Œ)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The first thing I'd check is the incoming mains voltage to the fridge. Those symptoms are exactly what you see on a campsite where the mains voltage sags below what the control board thinks is OK. You mention 220V, so it looks like the voltage is starting out at the low end of the mains voltage specification anyway. Some people on here have fitted a mains voltage stabiliser to solve the problem, so that's a possibility if that's what the problem is.

The element resistance value does vary as its temperature varies, this is normal.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
This is a very interesting thread for me as I have similar issues with an Electrolux RM4505 AES.

Was there a resolution to the problem?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Update:
It wasn't the switch! It was the track from the switch that had a very small break in it, I tried to bridge the gap but as the board had lacquer on it, it wasn't possible. So I had to bridge the break using a Dremel to remove the lacquer a little further on.
1685642088426.png

1685643070171.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back