Rm4505 dometic Electrolux fridge freezer not working

Jul 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
August 2018
Hello our motorhome fridge packed up on us a couple of weeks back. The PCB has no blown fuses but there doesn't seem to be any electric going to it. So I'm thinking main fuse box which I am having checked our by an electrician on thursday.

The fridge is 19 years old and the parts obsolete so I am looking at a plan B. How easy is it to change a fridge?

Attachments

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's not that difficult, bearing in mind you'll be maneuvering a heavyish object in a confined space. Remember you'll need to disconnect the gas and 240/12v connections first, but they're usually quite accessible, probably behind the lower fridge external vent. For one reason or another I've taken mine out a few times, holding screws usually behind plastic screw covers just inside the fridge door.

Your problem is going to be finding another but if you Google your fridge name and model number, plus "replacement" you'll come up with a few ideas. But the same Google search I did came up with quite a few parts too so you might try those first.

Oh yes, and :welcome4:

Reactions: DBK
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
5+ years
Make sure it will fit thru the hab door, heard of some going thru windows, after dismantelling same and some had to be taken through the cab doors.

OP
Bradybunch
Jul 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
August 2018
I'm hoping it's a blown fuse. I did take it to a repair place but I don't think they even looked at it. I know that a new replacement is about 2k which is a daft amount of money. Just took the vents of and there seems to be electric going to fridge which means it might be the pcb! šŸ¤ØšŸ˜Ÿ

Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Just remember LPG is very dangerous, Yes you can save money DIY but you can also DIE as well.

Jun 1, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
You get them in/out by removing the passenger seat. do not switch on ignition with seat removed or air bag light will come on and stay on.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I know that a new replacement is about 2k which is a daft amount of money. Just took the vents of and there seems to be electric going to fridge which means it might be the pcb!
The fridge works by heat applied to the cooling circuit, which circulates the refrigerant gas/liquid mixture and magically produces cooling. The heat can be a 12V element, a 240V element or a small gas flame. The control board switches between the heat sources, either manually or automatically.

First thing to find out is, does the cooling circuit still work? I'm assuming that turning the control knob to 240V doesn't have any effect.

The 240V element is located down near the gas flame. The 12V element is next to it. You could disconnect the wires to the 240V element, and if you can use a meter on the 'ohms' setting, check the element's resistance value. It should be about 200 to 300 ohms.

If it's OK, you could connect the element directly to a wire with a 240V plug on it. Plug it in and wait for a few hours to see if the fridge starts cooling. Of course don't leave it like that for a long time, because you're bypassing the thermostat. Then at least you will know that the cooling circuit is working and it's worth buying a new control board if that's the problem.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services