RM4271 fridge - hate admitting defeat! (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
12v and 240v side are good.

Gas side........Have replaced...

Yellow switch
Burner
Jet
Spark plug
Lead to spark plug
Ignitor module
Checked wiring of plug and ignitor reference advice on the forum already.

It is not so much the cost - £150 so far - as the burner and spark plug in particular were very old and rusty so needed a refresh. It is more the fact I can't diagnose the fault myself! Just left ansaphone message with my local mobile caravan services man that replaced my boiler a little while ago.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
No spark! I have test lit the burner with a lighter and it works correctly (flame turns off if I let go of control knob too quickly, hold it in a few seconds to allow thermocouple to warm up and flame stays steady). But no ticking/sparking when turned on and NO light at yellow rocker switch to indicate sparking. (New switch an old switch).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Yes. Checked 12 volt.from connector block on top of fridge to loom and out to ignitor.
What I don't understand is the output at the spark generator measures voltage when switch is off and drops when switch is on?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Is the 12v habitation on ?
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Is the 12v habitation on ?
Cheers, Dave(y)

Yes. Otherwise I couldn't measure voltage at the spark generator. Also tried both leisure battery and engine battery supply with engine off and on (gets boosted by alternator supply).

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
12v and 240v side are good.

Gas side........Have replaced...

Yellow switch
Burner
Jet
Spark plug
Lead to spark plug
Ignitor module
Checked wiring of plug and ignitor reference advice on the forum already.

It is not so much the cost - £150 so far - as the burner and spark plug in particular were very old and rusty so needed a refresh. It is more the fact I can't diagnose the fault myself! Just left ansaphone message with my local mobile caravan services man that replaced my boiler a little while ago.

When you say "boiler" what exactly do you mean?

Do you have a "Carver 2"? these can be restored.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Are you certain the switch is wired correctly?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just wondering if the new ignitor module is duff, I would expect the output to be pulses of a few thousand volts.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

Only mentioned boiler as engineer I used to replace my leaking Carver and fitted a new Malaga unit can also return and fix my fridge if I don't work it out myself.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had the same problem and Johns Cross fixed it for the price of an hours labour. There was a loose wire in a multi plug. Fixing it didn't take long, finding it did.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

Only mentioned boiler as engineer I used to replace my leaking Carver and fitted a new Malaga unit can also return and fix my fridge if I don't work it out myself.
Are you certain the switch is wired correctly?

Yes. Bottom to earth, top to lamp L and middle to 12- on ignitor.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
have you got a good earth for the ignitor? if you do, it must be the module

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Only just realised spark is supposed to jump across to thermocouple and not gas ring as I expected. Suppose I should give that an Emery cloth clean up?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yes a good earth is essential

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the probe on the ignitor needs to jump the spark across the flame. it needs a good earth to jump to and can sometimes be just out of adjustment

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
the probe on the ignitor needs to jump the spark across the flame. it needs a good earth to jump to and can sometimes be just out of adjustment
My old spark plug had an angled probe at the end. The new models are short/blunt ended at the ceramic(?) end. I will engineer some rubber grips to hold it near a good earth and see if I can get any spark at all!!!! New module and lead and spark plug must give me something!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The module should spark if there is 12V to the + terminal and the - terminal is earthed. To be sure, you could take a direct wire from a good earth and touch it onto the negative terminal. It should then spark. That test will bypass the switch and its wiring, and if it works, that's where the fault is.

The high voltage wire is another possible problem. Make sure it is physically separated from all the other wires and any metalwork, so that the spark doesn't get shorted before it reaches the spark gap. Is the spark gap approximately correct? I can't recall what it should be, but it's a few millimetres.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The module should spark if there is 12V to the + terminal and the - terminal is earthed. To be sure, you could take a direct wire from a good earth and touch it onto the negative terminal. It should then spark. That test will bypass the switch and its wiring, and if it works, that's where the fault is.

The high voltage wire is another possible problem. Make sure it is physically separated from all the other wires and any metalwork, so that the spark doesn't get shorted before it reaches the spark gap. Is the spark gap approximately correct? I can't recall what it should be, but it's a few millimetres.

Thanks. I will remove spark module conn ctiond and seat spark plug as close to thermocouple as possible and put a direct Connect to a spare 12v battery + and - and see if I can force a spark?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back