Ripon and Durham : advice please (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
My wife’s Choir is singing in Durham and Ripon Cathedrals over the weekend following Easter next year.

I would appreciate some advice about the following:

1. Suitable sites, bearing in mind that my wife tends to prefer “proper” ones with full facilities. I have it in mind to use one about halfway between Ripon and Durham, so the Richmond Hargill House CMC site looks promising. Have any of you used this and if so what do you think of it? Any alternative suggestions?

2. Any thoughts as to where we can park for each Cathedral? We would be very happy to use Park and Ride carparks if any are available for motorhomes.

3. Any other thoughts or comments which may help us?

Many thanks in advance Funsters!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @Stretto Boy. I can't help with your choice of campsite but I live near Ripon and can help with parking. If your wife is singing in the evening then no probs. You can park on any street without double yellow lines after 6pm. Also on the main square which is free after 6pm and handy for the Cathedral.
Before 6pm you can park free on any road without double yellows for 2 hours as long as you display a parking disc. You can get a parking disc from most shops free of charge. It is the sort that has a dial on for you to set the time you arrived. If you need longer than 2 hours there is a large car park at the back of Sainsbury's that is pay and display and a short walk to the Catherdral. Traffic wardens are a bit hot in Ripon so be sure to get it right. http://www.ripon-internet.com/map-of-ripon/car-parks.html
There is no Park and Ride in Ripon. Its Market day on Thursday so quite busy.
We have used the P and P in Durham and there is actually a campsite within walking distance of it called Durham Grange its a C and M club site.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I haven't stayed on the Durham C&c for a v long time but a friend has recently. You can walk to the park & ride in about 8/10 mins but you have to cross the road for the footpath. The drop off & pick up point is central and you can see the castle & cathedral from it. It ran every 15 mins when they were there but finished about 7 in the evening. Not sure if thats any help to you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Durham Grange has very nice facilities and is a very convenient site for Durham as other have said its a short walk out of the site back towards the A1 over the roundabout and you are at P&R. Only thing is you can hear the traffic from the A1 which is fairly close. Never disturbed us in the many times we have stayed there. Facilities are actually better quality than usual CMC sites for some reason.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Should have said if you do want to go to this site book it now as Easter may already be fully booked. Its a busy time of the year and CMC sites fill very quickly for public holidays. Better book now you can always cancel, seems to be the way things are done with the CMC booking system.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hargil is well situated off the A1 but is a long walk down a steep hill to the nearest pub, and conversely a longer walk up a steeper hill to get back. That apart, there is a Creggs and M and S at the service station as you come off the A1

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If you find a site between the two, the park and ride at Durham has a few motorhome bays. No overnighting and the p&r closes at 7pm

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If you want a site in Durham itself, the rowing club is a cc cl but facilities only available during club opening hours, but you couldn't get any nearer the city

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Durham City is not a MoHo friendly place so I would camp at Durham Grange and then get a taxi to the Durham Market Place. You'll then have to walk about 8-10 minutes up the hill to the Cathedral.

I wouldn't bother with any other option.

All the best,

Andrew

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is a well kept site on the edge of Ripon http://www.riverlaver.co.uk/
We have stayed there a few times. It is an easy walk into the centre of town which takes about 20 minutes. One of our favourite small cities to visit.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have never stayed on the C&MC Grange site, due to it being so close to my old DH1 address, but I did store my last caravan there and can confirm that the facilities are immaculate.

Similarly, I never used the Park & Ride, as the nearest stop was further away from me than walking in to the city centre, but when you realise how close Carrville P&R is to the site, it is too convenient not to use (top right of map). Plus, from memory, I think the P&R buses run right up to Palace Green at the cathedral.

image.png

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Baxter Wood is a cracking CL in Durham, the walks and cycle paths directly from the site are amazing with no roads in site.
All grass pitches though but cheap and about 15\20 min walk to durham

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Lockside caravan site in Ripon is within walking distance.....not sure about Durham.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we visited Ripon with the Moho we stayed on the St Marygate Car Park overnight, which is very close to the centre and the cathedral. They have a night rate from memory. No facilities of course, but we did not need them. Spoke the the parking warden and he said it would be no problem as long as I had the correct ticket and stayed within a bay. No problem with the former but a tight squeeze with the latter. There are a few bays that back onto grass and we managed to get one of those once most of the shoppers had left, so we could put our rear overhang over the grass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back