Rip off Yorkshire! (Tour de France content) (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
every thing on the rote on that day will cost a fortune it rip off Brittan burger £10 use of portabella toilets £5 ice crème for the kids £3.00 use of a water tap £3.00 berthing the Yorkshire air 100 ponds a day plus vat
diesel up by 5p a ltr cafés doubling there prices then there will be the rip off chip vans with 2.00 a tine for pipsi
that's just a few thing's
I will watch it on TV:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
We've booked a temporary site in Swaledale for the Tour. £32 for the weekend. Not bad at all compared to that site!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
every thing on the rote on that day will cost a fortune it rip off Brittan burger £10 use of portabella toilets £5 ice crème for the kids £3.00 use of a water tap £3.00 berthing the Yorkshire air 100 ponds a day plus vat
diesel up by 5p a ltr cafés doubling there prices then there will be the rip off chip vans with 2.00 a tine for pipsi
that's just a few thing's
I will watch it on TV:ROFLMAO:

You might have to try a bit harder to get the atmosphere at home but you will certainly save a couple of bob.

Martin

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I feel a bit guilty reading all this as I know the top guy who is organising this:Doh: what I can say is that knowing the major event he was in charge of previously it will be well organised generally including the camping area and will have a fall back plan in case of wet weather like roll out metal roadways etc ...
It is a bit more than camping so direct comparisons are difficult even though its an expensive weekend:Cool:

Dave

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Ignore al the Crap in Yorkshire
Cross The Chunnel
and see it in France cheaper:winky:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You may even be able to afford Wine

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::thumb::thumb::thumb::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
£95 for EHU! you could power Jodrel Bank with that. :roflmto:

Jodrell Bank , the bike club we belong to had a visit one day , lovely friendy , warm snug place. Gent giving the planetarium talk said it was a first for them , first time every single bu99er in the group had nodded off.

Don't remember a thing.

Steve.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I feel a bit guilty reading all this as I know the top guy who is organising this:Doh: what I can say is that knowing the major event he was in charge of previously it will be well organised generally including the camping area and will have a fall back plan in case of wet weather like roll out metal roadways etc ...
It is a bit more than camping so direct comparisons are difficult even though its an expensive weekend:Cool:

Dave

Perhaps it might be wise to point him in the direction of the forum and let him decide for himself just how far wrong he has gone with his extortionate prices!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this may have aready been posted.....

You think the site fee is a rip off....you can have hookup for a further £95

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just realised why camping is so expensive....the companies head office is in HARROGATE.

For those not in the know, Harrogate is not in Yorkshire in the same way Monaco is not in France..
It is its own principality and residential entry is determined by personal wealth...and the car you drive.
As an indication of eliteness, you would be required to buy your next car from 'The Harrogate Horseless Carraige Company'...not just some common car dealer.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This thread reminds me more and more of Broken Link Removed.

As I said there (more or less) if the charge is too high they won't sell pitches; if they sell pitches then the charge is either right or too low, not too high. The prices may not appeal to many of us on here but they may well do so to CTC members.

If I were going to watch the tour I would book in on one of the C&CC events - but do I really want the inconvenience of having to put up with restricted movement on the Saturday plus having to suffer the whims of the prima donnas running the Tour? I think we shall be elsewhere ::bigsmile:

Velofest

Free Member
Jan 12, 2014
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Velofest

Evening everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself I am the organiser of Velofest at Kilnsey Park in July.

I would like to thank you all for your feedback and constructive criticism about our event. We have seen a huge surge in bookings in the last few days with many of them coming from this forum and the campsite is now just over 70% full.

I appreciate many of you are worried that we are too expensive...compared to a permanent campsite yes we are expensive, however it is important to take into account the different variables. The TDF coming to Yorkshire is massive, one of the biggest events if not the biggest event to ever take place here. As a result, there are a lot of pop up campsites opening up and events being put on to celebrate this momentous occasion. Accordingly, many of the big ticket items such as generators, big screens, stages, wcs, shower blocks, tracking/fencing etc have shot up in value as demand outstrips supply. There are several cheaper alternatives to our site that would allow for a Motorhome and electric hook up, however this is not comparing like for like. We are offering the chance to be part of one of the biggest Tour de France parties in Yorkshire alongside the stage 1 route.

It is important to note that we are not simply a pop up campsite. Included in the £150 for tent or £190 for Motorhome/caravans we are offering:-

1. Entrance to the festival for 4 people (non campsite customers will pay £9 per person)
2. 1x parking space (non campsite customers will pay £10 per day)
3. Live music with several different bands every evening
4. Priority booking into the participation events that will be running on the Thursday and Friday.

To give you a price comparison there are currently 2 other events in Yorkshire that you can compare ours to in terms of size, quality of entertainment, facilities etc. The first charges £340 for 4 adults in a Motorhome plus a £40 Motorhome permit supplement with no option of electric hook up. The second charges £255 for 4 adults, includes 2 nights stay and includes festival entry and 1 parking spot.

Thank you for all your comments, whether you decide to join us or not, I hope you all enjoy Le Tour coming to Yorkshire.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry Graham, got to disagree....

In this case the cost is too hgh...but....

As its for a major event (to avid cyclists at least) they are prepared to pay the price so they can see the event they came for.
No good booking a cheap site 20 miles away and then find you cant get near the venue due to high traffic conjestion.

Its not a case of exorbetant, cheaply or correctly priced....its a case of neccesity on the part of the campers and sheer greed on the camping organisers part as they also know folks have little choice but pay.

And how can electric possibly cost £32 per 24hr period
A massive container housed generator is capable of running hundreds of domestic houses so the meagre use of a field of motorhomes does not equate.
500 motorhomes with hookup works out at £16000 per day....someone is making a massive profit.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
For £190 + 90 I would want to be on Bradley Wiggin's crossbar - and no, that's not a euphemism :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Evening everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself I am the organiser of Velofest at Kilnsey Park in July.

I would like to thank you all for your feedback and constructive criticism about our event. We have seen a huge surge in bookings in the last few days with many of them coming from this forum and the campsite is now just over 70% full.

I appreciate many of you are worried that we are too expensive...compared to a permanent campsite yes we are expensive, however it is important to take into account the different variables. The TDF coming to Yorkshire is massive, one of the biggest events if not the biggest event to ever take place here. As a result, there are a lot of pop up campsites opening up and events being put on to celebrate this momentous occasion. Accordingly, many of the big ticket items such as generators, big screens, stages, wcs, shower blocks, tracking/fencing etc have shot up in value as demand outstrips supply. There are several cheaper alternatives to our site that would allow for a Motorhome and electric hook up, however this is not comparing like for like. We are offering the chance to be part of one of the biggest Tour de France parties in Yorkshire alongside the stage 1 route.

It is important to note that we are not simply a pop up campsite. Included in the £150 for tent or £190 for Motorhome/caravans we are offering:-

1. Entrance to the festival for 4 people (non campsite customers will pay £9 per person)
2. 1x parking space (non campsite customers will pay £10 per day)
3. Live music with several different bands every evening
4. Priority booking into the participation events that will be running on the Thursday and Friday.

To give you a price comparison there are currently 2 other events in Yorkshire that you can compare ours to in terms of size, quality of entertainment, facilities etc. The first charges £340 for 4 adults in a Motorhome plus a £40 Motorhome permit supplement with no option of electric hook up. The second charges £255 for 4 adults, includes 2 nights stay and includes festival entry and 1 parking spot.

Thank you for all your comments, whether you decide to join us or not, I hope you all enjoy Le Tour coming to Yorkshire.

thanks for coming forward with a full explaination of charges and what you get for the price.

Now we get the full picture of planned events etc the cost is far more reasonable.

First impressions were it was basically overpriced camping with nothing but a piece of grass for £190.

That said, £32 per night for electric is still hard to swallow, most regular campsites charge £3 to £5 per day.
Maybe 3 times that (£18) would cover cost of hire and diesel for the event and be slightly more appealing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For £190 + 90 I would want to be on Bradley Wiggin's crossbar - and no, that's not a euphemism :Smile:

Nobody is forced to take the EHU option surely you guys can last a few days in a field without hook up.

Personally I think it has the potential to be a cracking event and I am sure it will sell out.

Martin

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Whether or not we can survive without EHU for a few days is irrelevant, it's the fact that they think that they can charge £90 for it that indicates that in my opinion they are milking this for all it's worth.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whether or not we can survive without EHU for a few days is irrelevant, it's the fact that they think that they can charge £90 for it that indicates that in my opinion they are milking this for all it's worth.

I guess it comes down to what they have to pay for a gen set for a few days and the cost of setting up the network of outlets and then testing and safety certificates divide this by the number of customers plus a bit of profit of course, it's not quite the same as a permanent site set up.

Martin

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wait a minute you lot......................Dont you have to cross the Pennines to get there :Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't follow this sport or the event, but could someone explain why the Tour de France can be seen in Yorkshire?:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't follow this sport or the event, but could someone explain why the Tour de France can be seen in Yorkshire?:Doh:
Because it makes money for the organisers and participants by any chance? ::bigsmile:

The event is one in which paid cyclists and teams take part. Like most other "sports" it is now a business.

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
With so many Funsters avoiding the event, there'll be more room for me to park up!
As it happens, I'm staying at my cottage near Hawes. I've been offered daft money for it, but declined. It's a one off event and I've decided to go see it. Taking the motor home to use somewhere on the course route...then can watch the race on tv till it reaches me. I'll be picnicking till then. Maybe sell cuppas to other spectators?! Or not.
So, other than turning away business, the cost to me is negligible. And I, for one, aren't profittering. Though I could rent out a parking space.
I'm sure other resourceful motorhomers will find their own solutions if they decide to see the first stage of the event. Other stages are of course available. :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back