Rip-off first class. (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
How about this for a first rate rip-off.
My wife got a note from Aviva to say if she was traveling to Europe she will need a green card. No charge, just let us know and we'll send it.
Oh. Thinks I, I'd better get one for my motorhome.
Last night I sent an email to Caravan and Motorhome Club vehicle insurance to ask for my green card.
An hour ago I get a phone call and the operative tells me the charge will £15. I reminded the operative that vehicle insurance companies are not charging for free cards and told her to forget it.
Half an.hour ago the operative rings back and tells me she has been working in my behalf and her Manager has agreed to a lower fee of £10. I gave her full blast, do you think I am stupid, rip-off, change companies, report to Cand MC, industry ondbudsman etc. Then put the phone down.
Just now another phone call "you are a special case and a good customer so we will waive the fee"
Rip off
Rip off

If you're applying for a green card threaten action and don't pay any fees.
Phil

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Interesting, my insurance is with the Caravan Club and I asked them for a Green Card and they charged me £15, a month later I an received an unsolicited one directly from the insurance company with a letter saying that I may need it for travel abroad.
I think an email to the Caravan Club is due.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Half an.hour ago the operative rings back and tells me she has been working in my behalf and her Manager has agreed to a lower fee of £10. I gave her full blast, do you think I am stupid, rip-off, change companies, report to Cand MC, industry ondbudsman etc. Then put the phone down.
Just now another phone call "you are a special case and a good customer so we will waive the fee"
Rip off
Rip off

Phil

Good grief! What a fuss over £15

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would expect to pay an admin fee, I am very surprised they are doing it for free

£15 sounds fair to me, admin and postage

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Quite right- name and shame.
Just another opportunity to try and charge for what should be a free addition to your policy.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Comfort MH Insurance didn't charge me when I requested the Green Card because we were going away and Brexit was due to happen whilst away.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our vehicle insurance certificate in France has always been printed on green paper and doubles as a green card for travel throughout mainland Europe including most non EU countries ( eg, Russia)
No extra charge has ever been made.

Even if the UK companies charge p&p, it’s still a rip off. They have known about it for years, they should be including green card cover with every policy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It'll be Devitt (the agent for C&MC insurance) that'll be charging the £15. If you go directly to the underwriters (AXA?) you'll probably get it for free.

Deleted User
My certificate says that I am covered for most of mainland Europe so why should I need a green card?

Last edited by a moderator:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
CMC recently sent me a green card free of charge. I didn't need to ask for it. The insurance is through AGEAS.

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
We rang Caravan Gaurd and asked for one a week later got one. Free. And with a smile.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I received mine yesterday free of charge. I didn't even ask for one.(Ageas)

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Comfort are writing in £20 for a green card on all renewal policies.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Hi Mick,
Just checked and it is in the renewal docs.
But it is an administration charge for Comfort.
I am about to renew so will ask if they can supply one foc when i pay.
Suppose i could go direct to the insurers as Comfort are only an agent.
For info, went to AIB and got a quote from them, it was £5 cheaper so i may call them and enquire about the green card.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
How about this for a first rate rip-off.
My wife got a note from Aviva to say if she was traveling to Europe she will need a green card. No charge, just let us know and we'll send it.
Oh. Thinks I, I'd better get one for my motorhome.
Last night I sent an email to Caravan and Motorhome Club vehicle insurance to ask for my green card.
An hour ago I get a phone call and the operative tells me the charge will £15. I reminded the operative that vehicle insurance companies are not charging for free cards and told her to forget it.
Rip off
Rip off

Phil
Got mine free from Ageas but Advance (Broker) had given them the wrong reg number. Sent e-mail to Advance and two mins later new documents arranged to be sent out (y)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Comfort are writing in £20 for a green card on all renewal policies.
As far as I'm aware, Comfort have always charged £20 for a discretionary green card (ie. for issuing a green card when you don't actually need one).

I contacted them last January to ask what their plans were in this respect because we were planning on going away just after the first Brexit date - they told me that Aviva hadn't yet decided what to do, but that if I wanted one now then Comfort could send me a card for £20. Later on when it became more likely that there would be a no-deal Brexit at the end of March they sent them out for free (you just needed to contact them 21 days before you were travelling).

You don't currently need a green card for the EU, and if there is a Brexit deal then more than likely you won't need one then either (during the transition period at least), so its normal that insurance companies are charging for it right now. If on the other hand there is a no-deal Brexit then they'll probably issue them for free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back