Free Member
Mar 25, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Dethleffs
Exp
Newbies
Ring are advertising a trickle charger which plugs into your 12v socket, anyone have any experience of these. Seems a cheap option at around 19 quid !!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Ring are advertising a trickle charger which plugs into your 12v socket, anyone have any experience of these. Seems a cheap option at around 19 quid !!
Be wary of RING. For many years then had a great reputation with vehicle bulbs, but five years ago I purchased a 3500 inverter for our boat. It went kaput within twelve months. Unrepairable. I had to read the riot act to get it replaced, and then only by travelling to Leeds for the new one. Total shambles. Make sure you read some good reviews from users before buying. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many vehicles today have uv glass.....panel on dash wont be much good if the sun cant get to it.

Keep your money in your pocket....you need at least 50watts worth of panel to be of any real use, unless you only want to charge your phone or tablet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Ring are rubbish. My family company were in the business (battery chargers, low voltage inspection lighting, car bulbs, jump leads, you name it) so I know. We outclassed them 10/1. We were bought out ten years ago by huge conglomeration but Ring continue to be rubbish. Personally I would never buy Ring.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The little trickle chargers are pretty useless.

I have my own bodge job, a 10watt panel about a foot square with magnetic backing which sits on the roof of my Disco when I leave it parked for a couple of months. It is plugged into the permanent 12v live pin on the towing socket and does seem to be adequate to keep the battery topped up so it will start. Max charging rate is about 0.5A buts it's there all the time and the battery is only being used for the arcane things that Discos do (like suspension levelling while parked-Why?)

Obviously you need a reasonably secure place to park as there is nothing to stop anyone nicking it, though the roof is quite high.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back