Ring RAC900 12 volt tyre inflator .. broken. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
While on the aire at Gravelines, a motorcyclist came over from the road and asked if I could help with a tyre inflator.. his rear tyre was soft..

I said Yes.. no problem.. I have just the job.. and fetched my almost new Ring RAC900 12v pump from the locker.. Meanwhile he and his pillion passenger pushed the BMW over the grass to our van..

I connected the pump and switched on.. the gauge pressure shot up.. but no air was going into the tyre.. Puzzled, I had a look and found that there was no pin in the inflator connector to open the tyre valve.. so air could never go in..

He also had a look but came to the same conclusion.. the air couldn't go in without opening the valve..

He thanked me, they were from Belgium and had been touring Cornwall and Devon.. now on the way home.. we said goodbye and he said he would ride to the next garage.. about a mile away..

Yesterday I had another look at it and tried inflating the van tyre .. no good it wouldn't work.. so I called Ring Technical help.. 0113 2132000

I explained the problem and the guy said no problem, give me your address and I'll post a new connector.. complete with pipe and gauge..

no quibble.. no questions, no asking for receipt or proof of purchase... just a friendly helpful guy..

well done Ring ..

I have no idea how the part came to be missing or broken.. I've only used the pump a few times.. so if you have a Ring, check it actually inflates tyres..

The part being replaced is the hose in the bottom part in the photo with the gauge

51zl+4GNRwL.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I'm looking for a reliable air compressor myself after finding out that the supplied one on our Burstner is next to useless....actually it is useless.
This one looks the business but I am concerned that it may be too technical for us in that it needs to be connected directly onto the battery. Is this a relatively easy thing to do? (Can I connect the terminals to my leisure battery without disconnecting the motorhome terminals?)
Alternatively, we have a powerful air-suspension compressor fitted internally. Might this be adapted to also provide emergency tyre inflation too?
Apologies if I digress.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@sciac2001 I connect it onto the engine starter battery, it's easier to access, my leisure batteries are under the cab seats.. but you could use the leisure battery without disconnection any cables..

It CAN'T be used with a 12v plug .. or ciggy socket.. at 23 amps, the current draw is too high

Your air suspension compressor could probably be adapted to inflate tyres.. you would need to check with the manufacturer first..

a T connector with an isolating valve with a push fitting connector, and a length of air hose with a tyre inflator would be required.. I had this on my RV which had air brakes and self levelling suspension..

but it may just be cheaper and easier to buy the RingRAC900 ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought an RAC600 a few years ago, having seen a review, and it was fine on the few occasions I had to use it until it died last year when Jim's flashy red thing started flashing on one of the tyres.

We were in Doncaster at the time and found This One at Clas Ohlson which worked a treat. It's now been superseded by This One which is a bit heavier duty.

Deleted User
I've had the Ring RAC 900 for quite a few years, possibly eight when we bought the 5'er.

It has worked faultlessly many times but they do have limitations, I never run continuously for long periods, which would be needed for inflating a large tyre from near flat.

For general purpose topping up etc it is a good quality piece of kit but it is still a relatively small compressor and needs trwating with a little respect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had the Ring RAC 900 for quite a few years, possibly eight when we bought the 5'er.

It has worked faultlessly many times but they do have limitations, I never run continuously for long periods, which would be needed for inflating a large tyre from near flat.

For general purpose topping up etc it is a good quality piece of kit but it is still a relatively small compressor and needs trwating with a little respect.
A good point which we all need remember about all small compressors (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
a relatively small compressor and needs trwating with a little respect.
totally agree..

and I am fastidious about caring for my tools and equipment..

I've no idea how the adapter came to be broken.. only used it a few times to check the van tyres and put a bit of air in.

I suspect it was faulty... rather than damaged by me..

in saying that.. a tyre inflator should be robust.. and not easily damaged in normal use.. I have a couple of old foot pumps, decades old, that have seen plenty of service and rough handling .. and still work ok..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a couple of old foot pumps, decades old, that have seen plenty of service and rough handling .. and still work ok..
And the reason you now use an electric pump is that you have a couple of old feet, decades old, that have seen plenty of service and rough handling

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm looking for a reliable air compressor myself after finding out that the supplied one on our Burstner is next to useless....actually it is useless.
This one looks the business but I am concerned that it may be too technical for us in that it needs to be connected directly onto the battery. Is this a relatively easy thing to do? (Can I connect the terminals to my leisure battery without disconnecting the motorhome terminals?)
Alternatively, we have a powerful air-suspension compressor fitted internally. Might this be adapted to also provide emergency tyre inflation too?
Apologies if I digress.
Your air suspension compressor should do the job. Contact the supplier - they may even supply a kit for the purpose.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
nah.. I'm not that silly :whistle:

I was holding both in one hand and the camera in the other.. set on macro.. not a great idea for a clear photo..

the broken one is closer to the lens.. hence looks bigger..
Does the middle bit screw in, if so I'd check its tight, strange for it to break

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back