Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Just been to buy a pair of walking type outdoor trousers. The range and price is a bit confusing. Which are the best to have for quality and durability.

JohnT

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Craghoppers are not bad at around £25 -£30. I bought a pair at Outdoors this week for travelling on in the ferry tomorrow. They have lots of pockets, some with zips so ideal for putting passports away safely. Go Outdoors also had a range priced from someone unknown at about £14.00 but I wasn't sure of the quality of them.

Rohan are nice but much more expensive, you can easily spend £100 with them. You can also get Rohan trousers for £25 from eBay but are they real?

If you want very light weight and quick drying ones you may be looking at nearer £70 for trousers from the likes of Montane but never ever put an iron anywhere near them. I did once and it burned a hole in them in a second! Expensive oops. The thin trousers are also easily torn by thorns etc. Done that too.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi John,
I buy Rohan outdoor clothing. It's expensive but lasts forever. They do trousers called 'Bags' (not coz they're baggy!). They have reinforced knees for creeping to the wife and have loads of pockets, but are really light and dry within 2 hours of washing. They are also stylish. You don't look like someone from the SAS! They look perfectly ok for evening wear when out for a bite too. Ideal for mohoming .

They ain't cheap. Outside of their Sale times, they're £65 a pair BUT, some of my pairs are 15 years old and still look good.

Cotton Traders do some outdoorsy stuff which are ok if you want elasticated waistbands with everything. They scream mid-life crisis though ;)

If you're looking down the cheaper end, Go Outdoors have quite a range. You'd need do get one of their discount cards which will cost you a fiver for the year. They do Craghoppers and Regatta stuff which are also suitable and if you fancy the Cargo- type strides with enough pockets for Caribiners, a gas rattle and SAS survival kit, they do those too!

Hope that helps
Regards
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Have a look in TKMaxx they always have a good range of outdoor wear and ski wear.
Well known popular brands, and other more expensive ones too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A tip I've learned if you haven't used these trousers before is if anything greasy or oily drops on them sponge it off immediately with some washing up liquid and ideally put the trousers in the wash as soon as possible if you can. Grease marks are very hard to get rid of, Swafega helps but it is not a magic bullet.

Not being a messy feeder helps even more!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lots of pockets and an elasticated waist can mean :blusher: or an unmeant :moon2:

But I do like Craghoppers.

Look for a clearance outdoor store similar to Marshalls ("just off the Scremerston Roundabout") south of Berwick upon Tweed

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Light weight and quick drying trousers at a fraction of the cost ,karrimore and others easily bought at sports direct .
I bought 2 pairs for £28 over a year ago and have been wearing them on a construction site daily since,they dry very quick and are easy too move and work in,they also have the bonus that you can unzip the legs and turn them into shorts !

Vlad

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I agree ...... Craghoppers with zip off legs, I have used these for years ..... reasonable prices, quick dry and lots of pockets.

The only problem I have is that after a while the tops no longer match the legs as I mostly wear them as shorts and the colour fades in the sun.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try charity shops that's where we get ours from, various brands and at a fraction of the cost - if you are going somewhere where walking is popular you'll find even more in their charity shops, same with fleeces etc.

Last pair of trousers I got recently, I think they were Craghoppers, were £3.40 and looked like new!

I don't buy new from the normal shops as, having 3 dogs I won't pay a lot and you can bet they get muck on them or grease at some point which you can't get off then it's either put up with it and wear them or just get some more cheapo ones.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Oh boy! Thought for one glorious moment it was TIGHT Trousers!(y);)

Had visions of Olivia Newton- John in "Grease"

Think I'll go lie down!:p

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another vote for Craghoppers .. had a shirt and pair of shorts for at least 10 years and they still look good. Can't wear 'em out..

Rohan if you can afford.. watch out for their sales.. coming into winter they should have summer wear reduced.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just been to buy a pair of walking type outdoor trousers. The range and price is a bit confusing. Which are the best to have for quality and durability.

JohnT
Just wondering and a thought struck
Do you use a short or retractable lead on them when walking them

:doh::whistle2::blush::imoutahere::groan: Sorry

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I live in Craghoppers at work and play, the most practical and comfortable kecks I've ever known. I've got 4 pairs. Competitively priced on eBay too.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Which ever you pick don't forget that if you buy from Mountain Warehouse and are a member of the C&CC or a subscriber to MMM then you will get at least a 10% discount.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Which ever you pick don't forget that if you buy from Mountain Warehouse and are a member of the C&CC or a subscriber to MMM then you will get at least a 10% discount.
Wish I'd known that when I bought my coat from them.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I live in Craghoppers at work and play, the most practical and comfortable kecks I've ever known. I've got 4 pairs. Competitively priced on eBay too.
What do you wear at the weekend?;)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have both Graghoppers as well as Rohans but have to admit that the Rohans are by far the best because they dry in minutes and have all the pockets you need and are a great fit . We bought some insect repellant ones in the spring and they seemed to work although it is hard to be sure. Hubby was heartbroken when his favourite pair of Rohans finally fell to bits after 20 years and had to be thrown out.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have also found out that our local Mountain Warehouse will give 10% discount for those doing their Duke of Edinburgh award.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have also found out that our local Mountain Warehouse will give 10% discount for those doing their Duke of Edinburgh award.

I think they give 10% if you show a bus pass.. :LOL:

Scouts and leaders also get 10%

in my experience Mountain warehouse clothes are ok for casual and kids wear..stuff that may get stolen or lost at camp ..it's cheap and doe's a reasonable job.. for serious technical kit better off buying a reputable brand..

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If you really want the best then Mountain Equipment have no equal. Anyone who does serious walking or climbing swears by them

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've worn Regatta Action Trousers for years (including lined ones for cold weather) but was disappointed to see recently that they have changed their design. I also have a couple of pairs from Mountain Warehouse and Trespass which are a wee bit lighter weight for warmer weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back