Richard Baldwin Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

jdane

Free Member
Jul 27, 2010
Funster No
Richard Baldwins Customer Care

We picked up new motorhome (4th so far) from Richard Baldwins. Paul was fabulous as always.

When we picked up the motorhome, there were no spare keys but we were assured these would be available soon.

When tried Air con (transferred from our previous vehicle as part of the deal) on 12v it only powered fan and not compressor. Habitation door catching frame and difficult to close.

Returned motorhome after only 1 week (5th july) to have both niggles sorted as we thought. After several weeks of phonecalls and waiting, still no sign of spare keys or Air con repair.

Spoke to MD after being given run around from service who assured he would try to rectify situation.

MD returned call and said Air con (which was transferred from our previous vehicle) needed a switch which would have to be ordered from Dometic and they wouldn't know when it would be available till tomorrow (nearly 4 weeks after receiving the vehicle). In the past three weeks we have been told that the AC was sorted, only to arrive to collect and find it still not working, we have been told that it needed an inverter, the unit needs recharging with refrigerant gas and even that the unit now works on neither mains or 12 volts.

Spare keys still not available so we contacted previous owner ourselves who said keys are available to collect - MD said he would only offer to have them posted, no thought given to the problems if they go missing in the post. I am now having to travel 80 miles tomorrow to collect my own keys because Richard Baldwins after a month haven't organised this.

To add further insult the paperwork for the new motorhome didn't arrive which was odd. We eventually found out that it had gone to a different address and had been returned by the homeowner. Considering we have been customers for years I am disappointed that Baldwins didn't even manage to get our contact details correct.

Until we decided to swap our motorhome I would have said that Baldwins was second to none, but now I feel they are on a par with our previous dealer in Huddersfield who also treated us badly after spending nearly £50,000 on a new bessacarr just over 4 years ago. I have sourced an alternative dealer for Autotrail and will be taking our new motorhome there for its future services unless Baldwins get their act together.

Now had the chance to calm down but still stand behind the poor people skills of MD. When we were supposed to collect the motorhome MD told us abruptly it would be a week later than agreed. Now when he has been involved in niggles all he has achieved is to offend us as customers and drive a wedge between staff and customers. It is a good job we know Paul and Steve so well as we know we can trust them.

Alanadale

Free Member
Nov 27, 2010
Funster No
Richard Baldwins Customer Care

Went to Baldwins last day of Oct. to have a look round the sale we were very interested in a Autocruise Accent got talking to the sales manager told him we didn't know whether to buy now and beat VAT rise or wait till March for the new registration plate.
Leave a deposit now collect it in March and you don't need to pay the extra VAT the sales manager says. That sounds great no extra VAT, MH stored locked up in side over winter collect it in March with new plate couldn’t suit me better.
Is this to good to be true so I confirm with the sales manager the price on the screen is what I pay in March yes this is the price you pay in March my partner was there and heard everything.
I leave a deposit sign the order agreement which states the total on the road price which includes VAT.
22/11/2011 we call in at the showroom and was casually told by the sales manager there's a problem with the VAT but it doesn’t really effect you I know you have the money ready. If you want the MH at the agreed price you'll have to pay for it by 04/01/2011 and we'll keep the MH here till March then reg. in your name. I was never going to agree to that pay for an item in full before I could take it away when I know of a least 2 dealers in MHs that are struggling in the current credit crisis .
The sales manager came up with another option pay for the item in full we'll deliver it to your drive give you the keys and it will be registered in March.
I thought about this option and tried to get insurance for an unregistered MH I tried everywhere but couldn't get cover on the chassis number for any longer than 2 weeks. I wasn't going to leave it on the drive for 2 months without insurance so that option was out.
Without any other options being put forward I decided to ask for the return of my deposit as they could no longer supply the MH at the agreed price for collection in March.
The MD turned me down flat came up with many different excuses that I knew the VAT rate was going up, did I expect him to pay the extra VAT, well he was expecting me to. I did know the VAT rate was going up so did the sales manager that’s why I got him to confirm the total on the road price before signing the order agreement.
Is there anyone else experiencing the same problem I believe there is a lot of people who have left deposits on MHs for collection in the New Year.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Any one buying a motorhome from me signs an order form which is priced, detailed, pays a holding deposit and on collection pays the price stated on the order form.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I have purchased two motorhomes in the past from RBMH..Never had any probs with the purchases always on time on the date we wanted them...The first van we had a couple of little niggles but fixed on the spot...Second van was a different story..this was a brand spanking new Autocruise Startrail..had a big prob with the charging unit..we'd only had it a couple of months and it packed up..It took eight weeks to sort but to be fair it was a warranty issue and Swift dragged their feet on that..had it not been for Baldwins fitting a temp unit the van would have been u/s for eight weeks

The only criticism I have against is when I resold the van back to em As we all know you never recoup the money on a new van I sold it back to them when it was 8 months old and I lost a massive amount on it Still thats business...All in all I'd probably use them again as they are local to me

By the way White Rose have you tried Lowdhams in Huddersfield

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back