Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi all, jen bought some "pudding rice" the other day, made it up yesterday, unfortunately didn't turn out as rice pudding I remember.... it was all claggy-a technical term- and not at all runny as I remember of the past. I hasten to add she followed the recipe to the letter.
My question is what rice do you use and is the result usually "runnny" and NOT "claggy"?
All recipes gladly received,
TIA, Cheers, Dave(y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
My mother used to say 'she' is the cats mother. Stick with the Ambrosia in the future.

Edit - my wife Lynda says you need to buy pudding rice and add more milk/cream as required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I like rice pudding in any state of viscosity from cake like texture through to rice suspended in milk. Best with full cream milk which gives a lovely skin and a knob of butter.
Sweet macaroni and sago on the other hand should always be in a milky solution.
So endeth the sermon from the man who never cooks. :whistle:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Used to have nutmeg on junket(y) As for Rice pudding, the best is made not far from us:)
Ambrosia-Rice-Pudding-400g11.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Always wash the starch off the rice in a sieve with cold water first, add sugar and milk, grease an oven dish with butter pour in rice, bake for 1-1.5 hours at low heat,140C, give it a stir half way through.
To make Oven cooked rice (like School Rice) with a nob of butter on top always was pretty thick,with lovely burnt skin on top, infact you can grab a slice when cold.
Hob top rice, better for consistency as you can add more milk as needed, have to be careful not to boil over, makes a mess of the hob.
To make it like Ambrosia, add a tin of Carnation Evaporated milk near the end, Grated fresh nutmeg on top always.Some love a dollop of jam also(y)
Luverly
Good luck, have a rice time.
Les (purveyor of home cooked meals, too often):whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now, the spoonful of jam is put in the tin and pushed down before very gently stirring.
As the pudding is eaten the jam is pushed further down and again gently stirred.
That way you get infused jam right to the bottom of the tin.
Did I say it should be eaten cold straight from the tin.
Aldi or Lidl large tins are acceptable quality.

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
More liquid...

Here's a recipe that I like; it's moist and lump-free. Rather like Ambrosia but tastier.

I use a deep metal pan for it which can go from the stovetop into the oven.

65g butter
75g sugar
Melt the butter, add sugar, stir and heat until it goes sticky.

100g short-grain rice. Don't rinse, keep it dry.
Add the rice and stir until it's pale golden

1 litre whole milk
1 split vanilla pod
Add and stir as it warms to get the seeds out of the pod

150ml double cream
A pinch of salt
Bring it just to the boil, then put it in a low oven, 275F/140C or Gas 1 for around 3+ hours; it should be moist. It can finish cooking in its own heat. It should be thick but moist, not solid.

Let it cool, and enjoy.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Good to see this thread , in the last couple of weeks I've cooked rice pudding a few times. I couldn't find pudding rice so I used basmati rice, washed it put it in the slow cooker with milk , sugar and a touch of nutmeg. Added milk when required then just before serving a good pour of double cream.
I must say it was delicious and I will continue to use basmati rice.
I've had for breakfast it was so good.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
If you like your rice pudding runny, you won't like ours: stiff and cold in the Portuguese fashion!

Ingredients

568ml water (1 pint)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Peel of 1 lemon (cut into strips with pith removed)
250ml (8 fl oz) rice (short-grain or paella rice)
500ml (16 fl oz) hot milk (with a few optional drops of vanilla essence)
ground cinnamon
thin lemon slices

Method

Add the salt and lemon peel to the water and bring to the boil.

Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the lemon peel.

Add the rice to the water and bring it back to the boil.

Simmer untill all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).

Slowly add the hot milk, a little at a time. Allow the rice to absorb the milk before adding the next lot. Keep stirring and keep the heat low, to avoid burning the rice. This will take about 25 to 30 minutes (like cooking a risotto).

Put the rice into serving dishes. Dust with cinnamon and top with lemon slices, then chill before serving.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Rice pudding is sooo 1970’s.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
some one posted above about using full cream milk and it jogged my memory. We had milk every day but on sundays we got a bottle of sterilised to make the pudding or custard with .Always fascinated me as it was a different bottle with a crown cap and the bottle was left full of bubbles once it was poured.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My mother always made it with evaporated milk,,it was delicious,,BUSBY.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you like your rice pudding runny, you won't like ours: stiff and cold in the Portuguese fashion!

Ingredients

568ml water (1 pint)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Peel of 1 lemon (cut into strips with pith removed)
250ml (8 fl oz) rice (short-grain or paella rice)
500ml (16 fl oz) hot milk (with a few optional drops of vanilla essence)
ground cinnamon
thin lemon slices

Method

Add the salt and lemon peel to the water and bring to the boil.

Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the lemon peel.

Add the rice to the water and bring it back to the boil.

Simmer untill all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).

Slowly add the hot milk, a little at a time. Allow the rice to absorb the milk before adding the next lot. Keep stirring and keep the heat low, to avoid burning the rice. This will take about 25 to 30 minutes (like cooking a risotto).

Put the rice into serving dishes. Dust with cinnamon and top with lemon slices, then chill before serving.

This stands more of a chance of being a success as a decent rice pudding as it starts with the rice absorbing water. Personally I would forget the lemon and use pudding rice.

Starting with just milk, it willburn and absorb too quickly and go dry and claggy but starting the ri e in water is what makes a successful rice pudding!

Enjoy!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
hate rice pudding, love the smell but the texture like porridge is not for me.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Made another rice pudding today in the slow cook in the van. I managed to find pudding rice in Waitrose yesterday.
I must say its bloody delicious, full cram milk and carton of double cream. No nut Meg used this time , between pudding rice and basmati rice I think I prefer pudding rice.
Grt big pot of it , it should last until tonight :)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Made another rice pudding today in the slow cook in the van. I managed to find pudding rice in Waitrose yesterday.
I must say its bloody delicious, full cram milk and carton of double cream. No nut Meg used this time , between pudding rice and basmati rice I think I prefer pudding rice.
Grt big pot of it , it should last until tonight :)

Sounds good! Agreed: basmati rice probably won't work too well -- it cooks too quickly. The fatter, short-grain ones take more than twice as long to cook and seem to work better. Paella, risotto and pudding rice all look pretty similar in form and take about the same time to cook, so I reckon they would all work.

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Used to make in the pressure cooker turned the milk to cream preferred cinamon to nutmeg
I agree pressure cooker rice pudding is so quick to make and really creamy. I remember my mother being very excited about her new prestige pressure cooker. The first thing she made was a rice pudding, unfortunately she removed the pressure weight before reducing the pressure! Everyone took cover and the pudding took weeks to remove from the ceiling! Makes me chuckle every time I think of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back