RHD v LHD (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My VW left hooker is insured through Adrian Flux and the LHD caused no problems.

PS I couldn't even get yesterday's EDIT right, it should, of course, have read ' So that this post is not MISunderstood', but you had already worked that out, right! :xdoh:

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
These days it's not as bad as it used to be. I have driven RHD in Europe for years and also owned LHD cars over here without major problems, and now you can put a camera on the right side of the windscreen so you can overtake safety, not that you will be doing much overtaking in a MOHO.
I'm interested in the camera idea, can you tell me more of the kit?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Any vehicle reverse camera with a screen, I don't have one but take your pick from Amazon or Ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Any vehicle reverse camera with a screen, I don't have one but take your pick from Amazon or Ebay
Ah, Ok. thought it was something more specific.
Like the idea of an overtaking aid since I am frequently driving without a passenger in Europe.

OP
OP
Sundowner ll

Sundowner ll

Free Member
Aug 29, 2020
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks, parthianshot
Should I opt for the LHD I will have my partner in the right-hand seat for overtaking manoeuvres. I'm guessing a camera would only be useful on a clear stretch of road, as viewing the road ahead on a monitor/screen could give a false perception of the road ahead?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks, parthianshot
Should I opt for the LHD I will have my partner in the right-hand seat for overtaking manoeuvres. I'm guessing a camera would only be useful on a clear stretch of road, as viewing the road ahead on a monitor/screen could give a false perception of the road ahead?
Depends on the lens angle, it would be dangerous to use a reversing camera as they have a wide angle lens which would make vehicles look much further away than they are. Probable needs a lens of 90° or less as used on a rear view camera.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Lhd for me. It's amazing how many small lanes you can go down in a lhd in England, driving tight on the kerb.
This is a point worth repeating.

When driving on the 'wrong' side of the road (eg in Europe using a rhd vehicle) you can easily judge the distance from the kerb/gutter and so tuck in close in the face of oncoming traffic.

When driving a wide vehicle, such as a motorhome, it can be an absolute blessing to drive a wrong hooker.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I actually prefer RHD in Europe, being aware of your road position at junctions overcomes most problems , I’ve also had LHD cars in the U.K. without Issue
after a day or two you adapt to whatever you have
Same here and we only camp in Europe,,did have a LHD for a year but prefer RHD .BUSBY.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Had a few LHD/vans cars in UK and RHD cars/vans (proper ones), had no issues with either. One advantage i did like is parking a LHD in a street/road in UK is nice and easy getting out onto the pavement. Euro it didn't really matter so much. So wouldn't mind either.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is a point worth repeating.

When driving on the 'wrong' side of the road (eg in Europe using a rhd vehicle) you can easily judge the distance from the kerb/gutter and so tuck in close in the face of oncoming traffic.

When driving a wide vehicle, such as a motorhome, it can be an absolute blessing to drive a wrong hooker.
I have both RHD & LHD which I drive both here and on the Continent.
Its easier to drive the RHD abroad as, MOST of the time, traffic is less dense AND because a lot of the road network was destroyed in the last war, have roads that have been rebuilt to cater for cars & Lorries, not horse and carts.

The downside of driving the LHD in this country is that I HAVE to rely on the driver that I'm meeting down a narrow country lane or crowded high street, will stop IF there is insufficient space to pass,( it's difficult to judge if you by yourself and sitting on the wrong side of the vehicle) despite me being stationary and as close to the kerb/side of the road, as possible.

On a couple of occasions, they have not! :mad: For this reason, I ALWAYS employ a dashcam.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your front seat passenger is nervous do NOT use a LHD in the UK or a RHD abroad! o_O

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
A lot of it's down to the confidence and ability of the driver. The only time i used to have any sort of issue was when i wanted to overtake in a wrong sided steering wheel vehicle. Then again you have to learn to hang back a bit so you sight line is better.......................or trust your navigator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back