Revos: interesting new e-bike conversion (nice and simple) £500 (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thought this was quite interesting as i know how many people have considered a conversion but perhaps get put off as most kits are not that DIY friendly, weigh a lot etc etc:

It seems to be:

Easy to install (20mins they claim)
Fits most bikes (ok mud guards will be an issue)
It's light at less than 2kgs
Reasonably priced at £500 for the 100w kit

Pretty smart as well how it assists you, fully automatic rather than a throttle (ok now history) or a speed/power setting.

Also they are a British (Bristol) based start up !

Revos

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Reasonably priced at £500 for the 100w kit

Good luck to them but there's a shed load of them on ebay featuring a full wheel rather than something that will chew your tyre like that old French two stroke.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Expensive for what it is, you can get a 250W crank drive for similar money they take a bit longer to fit but it's not difficult.

I agree it's expensive. Reading the spec they claim the power output is more efficient vs other power delivery systems and hence why they can get away with less power and weight, possible i suppose.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Reading the spec they claim the power output is more efficient vs other power delivery systems and hence why they can get away with less power and weight, possible i suppose.

Not what the young guy says, he clearly says 250W which is the legal limit.

They say "no controls on handlebars". I think most bikes allow a selection of power, to let you match how much battery you use up depending on terrain and tiredness.

Shades of Mr Sinclair here, "I have a brilliant idea so it must be good". I remember two mega disasters. I half remember something just like this, a power pack to friction drive the rear wheel, but I can't find it on Google.

But right now it seems the Sinclairs never give up, the C5 is being brought back from the dead and there is a stupid tiny wheel bike on the go again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oi!
Behave...
You loved riding it at Majal.
JJ :cool:

I sure did. That beast had a bit more than 250W. Huge FUN as everyone can see....

Frank.JPG

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I sure did. That beast had a bit more than 250W. Huge FUN as everyone can see....

View attachment 331054
The Tegal.
My mate has one with the bike AND the 6ft cut hedge trimmer attachment.
Both motor tension rods for the bike are broken and he's too tight to buy a left hand thread die to make new ones.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
If you want simple, quick installation then get a front hub kit for £180 and a battery for about the same. Doesn't wear your tyre out with the friction.
All done in half an hour.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Must admit when i think about it now it does seem very expensive for what it is, simple yes and easy to fit, probably but my guess is they'll have to lower the entry price to £299 to generate any real sales success.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not convinced you can transfer that much torque through a little roller on a tyre (particularly if it's wet)... unless it's really pressing hard against the rubber, in which case it'll drag like hell when you freewheel.

It's pretty easy to wheelspin the front wheel on my wife's e-Brompton on gravel and when it's really wet. That's trying to use a much smaller contact patch with (I hope) much less pressure.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I'm not convinced you can transfer that much torque through a little roller on a tyre (particularly if it's wet)... unless it's really pressing hard against the rubber, in which case it'll drag like hell when you freewheel.

It's pretty easy to wheelspin the front wheel on my wife's e-Brompton on gravel and when it's really wet. That's trying to use a much smaller contact patch with (I hope) much less pressure.

e-Brompton: that's the way, my dream travelling companion(y) keep thinking of getting a 2nd hand (non-e) to fit in the back of the car when travelling on business, would keep me out of restaurants in the evenings and keep my legs turning.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
e-Brompton: that's the way, my dream travelling companion(y) keep thinking of getting a 2nd hand (non-e) to fit in the back of the car when travelling on business, would keep me out of restaurants in the evenings and keep my legs turning.
I live near the centre of Birmingham. Getting a Brommie has really changed my life. Instead of driving to the supermarket once per week, I shop twice a week using the Brompton as it'll happily carry 10kg in the basket. I've just got a new job 10km away. It ends up taking 40 minutes to drive in the rush hour (tried it in the van), it takes 50 minutes on the train with quite a bit of walking, or 40 minutes on the Brompton. We got rid of the car earlier this year because it just wasn't getting used. Now my wife has the e-Brompton, we head out together.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's pretty easy to wheelspin the front wheel on my wife's e-Brompton on gravel

I had a FWD e-bike, once I'd got over the initial shock, spinning up the front wheel was a bit of fun.

I had an evil though with that bike, buy a rear wheel with motor, now that would have been something !

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had a FWD e-bike, once I'd got over the initial shock, spinning up the front wheel was a bit of fun.

I had an evil though with that bike, buy a rear wheel with motor, now that would have been something !
I 'borrowed' her eBrompton to climb a hill in Spain as it had a nice looking abandoned castle on top. It was very steep and dirt track most of the way with huge ruts across it. The 2WD was really useful at getting me through the deeper patches of dust when it was all too easy to spin the rear under pedal power alone. However, when the dust got really deep or it got really rough, it was a handful to stay upright with the front wriggling all over the place, struggling to get grip. And when it totally spun-out, it cuts power for about a second... which often stalled me too.

Despite the masses of abuse crashing through ruts and ploughing through rim-deep dust, and the burning hot rims from feathering the brakes on the descent back down, my wife's practically new e-Brompton took it all in its stride. They are hardy little beasts.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My wife and I both have bromptons. Hers maybe 3 years, mine probably 10 or more. They are great bikes, but as we age, we would benefit from electric versions. Does anyone here use one with one of the electric conversions available?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
and btw. They both easily fit in our French bed garage. Along with loads of other stuff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back