Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Does anyone know if these things are adjustable for range?

Reason I ask is that I want to buy a 5th wheel trailer and tow it with a double cab Navara.
I already know that full 90 degree articualation is impossible without the front corner of the 5ver striking the back of the Navara's cab.
So, if I could fit these and adjust them so that it beeped when the corner of the 5ver came within 1 or 2 inches of the back of the Navara, I might just save a busted back window! :yes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Zazkar

Just an idea ... but instead of a sensor.. .. which I think would be difficult to set up for just a few inches..

Mount a 'cat's whisker' limit switch on the towing plate (don't know the correct term) .. in such a manner that it is 'struck' by the 5er at the limit of it's travel..

wire the switch into an audible and visual alarm ..

Dead simple.. :winky:

Cat's whisker limit switch...
images

Last edited:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Zaskar,

I don't think these things will get anywhere near one or two inches due to varying factors such as humidity, ambient temp etc, to be honest if you are that close, rubber bumbers plus long stalked self returning micro switch/buzzer, or a beam across the buck broken by the 5th wheel (or attached markers).

No doubt someone may come up with something even less enginered,

Regards Richard:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi "Zaskar",, Not long got my 5er and truck,,

The only driving I have done as such is to play around up my drive,, what I have found is to come in contact with the back of the truck with the 5er,, you would be at a very accute angle,, and doubt you would be at that angle under normal circumstances,, even a very tight turn,

What I have done is to fit a good quality reversing camera with a splitter,, then I can add two more camera`s at strategically placed positions, if need be.

I was thinking of putting a magnetic camera on that can be moved about thus being able to see the 5th wheel when coupling up,, at the moment even looking out of the back window, I cannot see the 5th wheel,(window being high and the coupling being low in the bed), also when reversing up I have a job to see the back of the truck so the camera being on a magnetic base could be used for reversing in confined spaces.

They are my observations the short time I have owned it,, might change my mind after a while once I have some miles under my belt..

Merry Xmas.

Maurice..

The photo,, the pin is 8" off/away from the coupling, and thats on a long bed truck.. :thumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks Guys.
I had a feeling it would be asking too much of "ordnary" sensors at such close range.
i like the "cats whisker" idea Jim, might have a look in Maplins or RS and see what they've got.
As far as accute angles is concerned Mo,I hear what your're saying and in the main, its unlikely that such angles will be acheived. Trouble is, we tend to use small, quiet CL's exclusivley and trying to stay on the gravel can be a nightmare without full lock being used.
The last thing I wanna do is churn up the grass cos the rig can't achieve full lock:Blush:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I think you are tackling the problem the wrong way you should have full articulation in order to manoeuvre the rig. My artic units all had sliding 5th wheels so that we could tow all trailers with different king pin lengths.

Surely the 5th wheel coupling can be moved backwards in the bed of the pickup I think they are bolted through the pick up bed, so that the corner of the trailer does not come in contact with the rear of the cab, 90 degrees would mean that the back of the cab is parallel to the trailer do you mean 45 degrees as this is when the corner of the trailer is nearest the back of the cab!!

If you measure the distance of the king pin diagonally to the front corner of the trailer this plus a couple of inches (to allow for undulation) will be the minimum distance the hole in the 5th wheel plate should be from the rear of the cab to allow full articulation:thumb:

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I think you are tackling the problem the wrong way you should have full articulation in order to manoeuvre the rig. My artic units all had sliding 5th wheels so that we could tow all trailers with different king pin lengths.

Surely the 5th wheel coupling can be moved backwards in the bed of the pickup I think they are bolted through the pick up bed, so that the corner of the trailer does not come in contact with the rear of the cab, 90 degrees would mean that the back of the cab is parallel to the trailer do you mean 45 degrees as this is when the corner of the trailer is nearest the back of the cab!!

If you measure the distance of the king pin diagonally to the front corner of the trailer this plus a couple of inches (to allow for undulation) will be the minimum distance the hole in the 5th wheel plate should be from the rear of the cab to allow full articulation:thumb:

Regards Pat

All of which is absolutely correct!.......as is the fact the from what I've heard, when the SuperGlide hitch (I presume you've heard of it?) is fitted to the double cab Navara, the only way it can be fitted means that it in"normal" operation, ie on road, the centre line of the pin ends up aft of the centreline of the axle, which I'm sure you're aware, is not a desirable situation!
Oh, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, one has to pass through 45 degrees to obtain 90 degrees!!!! :)

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
All of which is absolutely correct!.......as is the fact the from what I've heard, when the SuperGlide hitch (I presume you've heard of it?) is fitted to the double cab Navara, the only way it can be fitted means that it in"normal" operation, ie on road, the centre line of the pin ends up aft of the centreline of the axle, which I'm sure you're aware, is not a desirable situation!
Oh, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, one has to pass through 45 degrees to obtain 90 degrees!!!! :)

Sorry only trying to help:Doh::Doh:

From what you say it would appear obvious that the double cab Navara is not a suitable vehicle to tow this trailer!!

Another thought is it possible to move the pin on the trailer at all? I know some of the trailers we pulled had two pins that hinged down and locked (not at the same time) behind one another some distance apart.

Merry Christmas:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Hi Again,
I have now seen a hitch/coupling that was fitted to a double cab/short bed Navara.

The coupling (5th wheel) was fixed in the bed of the Navara about six inches forwards of the rear axle,, and was fine for straight line driving,, but as soon as the unit was driven of the straight, the coupling was on a either a sprung or hydraulic system that the more you turned the further back the coupling was pushed,and put the coupling a good 12-14 inches behind the axle. As soon as you go straight again the coupling was returned to the,, just in front of the axle line again.

This so I was informed was to stop the 5er from hitting the truck.. on sharp turns..
This is probably what you were meaning with the "super glide" which would seem to work..

I dont have that problem as I said mine is a long bed,, and if you can picture a "V" that is how mine ends up,, and contact would be the corner by the gas bottle cupboard and just behind the driver`s door.

I was told the make, and thought that was easy to remember,, but by the time I got home and on puter,, I had forgotten,, "sorry" :Blush::Doh:

If I remember the name I will let you know..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Old-Mo,
Pullrite per chance ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Hi Rob, No that dont ring a bell,,
I should have written it down, :Doh:

I think it would be the one for "zaskar" as in the normal forwards mode it was set a good few inches in front of the rear axle,,

And I cannot think of the 5er he was towing,, with any luck he may be a member and cotton on to this thread and help our friend out,, :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Sorry "Rob" you were right,, I remember the label now,, :Doh:

It was a "Superglide by Pullright" :thumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Sorry only trying to help:Doh::Doh:
No probs::bigsmile:

I know some of the trailers we pulled had two pins that hinged down and locked (not at the same time) behind one another some distance apart.

Now thats a neat idea, I like that. I'll look into the possiblity of a different pin box.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too::bigsmile::thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
This hitch also looks like a good idea for short bed trucks.

Link Removed

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hitch articulation

My 5er has an extended hitch arm and will go to 90 degrees and if its that far round you can see it is very close to the cab but the only time I have had it that far round in 2 years use is when i did it to see how far it would articulate.

Ours was supplied by Niche at Manby and as far as I am aware its the standard fitting.

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back