Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone,
Just bought a 2006 Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE on Saturday, great drive home, really pleased with it, spent all day yesterday pottering around, fitting a bracket and a CO2 detector, rugs, made up the beds with new linen etc. etc. you all know how it is. Went out today for the first time, took grandchildren to the Forest of Dean for a trawl round, had a nice day out. Reversing into my space on our return home I found the reversing monitor only gave me some flickering jagged lines across the screen, I got out and checked behind but there were NO flickering jagged lines to be seen only tarmac:cry:. Tried switching it off and on again, also went to the control panel and switched off the power there but no luck. Just dropped an E mail to the dealer, didn't want to ring as it's getting late. Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can offer.
I have read that these are not the best in the world so I thought I might replace it, found this one on E bay Link Removed
Can I just use the monitor from this ?
Will it plug strait in? or
Do I need to install the complete system?
How difficult is something like this to install in a motor home?
Will it give me better quality flickering, jagged lines in full colour or just plain old tarmac?
Any advice is appreciated and YES I know I need psychiatric help.
Regards to you all.
Cal

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
If you only bought it last Saturday I would certainly go back to the dealers,
We had a 2006 Autotrail Mohican and that worked perfectly after the dealer had spent a few minutes setting it up.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have a monitor on the interior mirror the monitor on the roof has a din plug style plug on it and the new monitor would not fit this plug. I used the rca plug and ran it through to the monitor control box and plugged it in the bottom av out socket next to where the orignal monitor plugs in i then wired the positive feed to the new monitor to the reversing positve through a three way toggle switch then put permenant live to the other terminal on the toggle switch this allows the monitor to come on when reverse is selected also I can have it on permenant when towing the car also i would check the din plug into the observe veiw box to make shure it is in tight as when they come loose it causes lines through then monitor hop this helps
Kev:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you only bought it last Saturday I would certainly go back to the dealers,
We had a 2006 Autotrail Mohican and that worked perfectly after the dealer had spent a few minutes setting it up.

I have E mailed him but I might just fit a better one anyway as I have read these are not top quality when new and this is certainly not new but thank you for the advice.

I have a monitor on the interior mirror the monitor on the roof has a din plug style plug on it and the new monitor would not fit this plug. I used the rca plug and ran it through to the monitor control box and plugged it in the bottom av out socket next to where the orignal monitor plugs in i then wired the positive feed to the new monitor to the reversing positve through a three way toggle switch then put permenant live to the other terminal on the toggle switch this allows the monitor to come on when reverse is selected also I can have it on permenant when towing the car also i would check the din plug into the observe veiw box to make shure it is in tight as when they come loose it causes lines through then monitor hop this helps
Kev:thumb:
This is a great deal of help in spite of the fact I only speak English::bigsmile: all sounds a bit technical to me. Clearly you spent some time on your very helpful post and many thanks for it, now if you should be down this way anytime soon could you please..................... No, No, too much to ask.
I will come back to your post if I should purchase this unit but will persevere with the dealer for now, if he fails to fix the problem I will hunt him down.
Again many thanks for your help.
Regards
Cal

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Took me some time to work it all out but I didnt like the position of the original monitor to far back with the mirror one you can glance at it and look in the side mrrors at the same time learnt this after having to rachet strap the tow bar to a tree to straighten it after hitting a cast iron post last motorhome had monitor on dashboard:ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Have you checked the sensors? Could be a little thing like a spiders web. On my last M/H the thing just HOWLED when I put it in reverse, Mr spider was sitting guarding his web on one of the sensors>

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you checked the sensors? Could be a little thing like a spiders web. On my last M/H the thing just HOWLED when I put it in reverse, Mr spider was sitting guarding his web on one of the sensors>
I will check in the morning, many thanks for your help.
Cal

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Checked the camera, no spiders but thanks for the advice anyway.
I did get a reply from the dealer:~
"You could also check that in the menu, the camera is set to V1."
It is so the problem is deeper than mere switching, I will fit a new one of better quality and put the job to bed for good (hopefully), just a matter of compatibility.
Thanks to all for your help.
Regards
Cal

Terry S

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
2002 Autotrail Scout Merc
Exp
2 years
In my 2002 Autotrail Scout. Te rear view camera cable had been joinedv in the rear locker inboard from the camera. The wiring needed redoing as was done merely with insulating tape.Its fine now!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Checked the camera, no spiders but thanks for the advice anyway.
I did get a reply from the dealer:~
"You could also check that in the menu, the camera is set to V1."
It is so the problem is deeper than mere switching, I will fit a new one of better quality and put the job to bed for good (hopefully), just a matter of compatibility.
Thanks to all for your help.
Regards
Cal
There's a very god chance it is a poor connection as Terry S suggests. Connectors will be near the camera and near the monitor - worth a look. Bear in mind that if you do buy a replacement expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality. I have a Sony 'mini-ball' CCTV camera and one of the monitors sold by all and sundry that clips onto (or in my case replaces) the rear view mirror. Total cost ............ under £40.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
And after 3 years have passed, I'd have hoped the problem was long fixed :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry. Couldn't resist....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back