Reversing light switch. (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
Having a problem, reversing lights and camera stopped working, so bought a new switch which screws into the top of the gearbox fitted it, it works intermittently, I unscrewed it again connected it back to the connector (12v) pushed the prong in with my finger works every time, but when it's back where it should be it doesn't work. Any ideas please.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like whatever actuates it in the 'box is either worn or out of alignment.....but..
Put in reverse then move/wiggle as much of the wire as you can and see if it works at all then.
It may be a broken wire in the loom.
Failing that try to find out if there are different switches, the pin may be too short on the one you have.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Sounds like whatever actuates it in the 'box is either worn or out of alignment.....but..
Put in reverse then move/wiggle as much of the wire as you can and see if it works at all then.
It may be a broken wire in the loom.
Failing that try to find out if there are different switches, the pin may be too short on the one you have.
Reference suggestion of broken wire in loom, highly likely and I would add that taking switch out you could be putting pressure on the breakpoint and temporarily solving problem.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Put something in the hole (a pencil perhaps?), mark it level with the top of the hole, engage reverse, mark it again. Measure from the lower mark to the end of the pencil & compare with what's sticking out of the switch.The distance between the two marks is the max travel available to operate the switch so press the switch in by that amount & it should operate. Check wiring loom by shorting the two contacts in the plug. Get someone to check that the reversing lights remain on whilst you wiggle the wiring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back