Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
As someone looking to buy their first motorhome I am thinking about what options I want on any vehicle I purchase. I'm not used to driving a large vehicle and have little experience of driving a vehicle with no rear view, so my question is....... Reversing canners. Essential or just nice to have?

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
As someone looking to buy their first motorhome I am thinking about what options I want on any vehicle I purchase. I'm not used to driving a large vehicle and have little experience of driving a vehicle with no rear view, so my question is....... Reversing canners. Essential or just nice to have?

Newbie here, had my motorhome 6 months and could survive without camera but I have to reverse into a small slot on an angle to park MH so it is essential to me for that purpose.
Rarely use it on open road or for parking at a site but it is useful to have as a extra pair of eyes when things are tight.
You need to have an appreciation of what it sees as it uses a wide angle lens and in my case sighted high up so view is not as you see it from ground level.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I find it useful for keeping an eye on the rear of the van when in slow moving traffic too.
Makes a useful little security device if you've got bikes on the back as well....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I did two years without one then decided it was a bit of a risk not being able to see if anything was right behind the van when reversing.
Now, I would not be without the camera. I don't use it when travelling along but it's invaluable for manoeuvring. Mine has a built in microphone which is useful if, for example, children are playing in the area.

Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We have a twin reversing camera, one for getting on our drive, narrow entrance on brow of a hill. I was always taught to think a mile ahead and half a mile behind, and find the rear view camera an absolute bonus. Gives me time to react.
:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have the twin camera with rear view mirror monitor, wouldn`t be with it, the rear view is on all the time if I want it, gives an excellent view of what is going on behind you, I change it to reversing into a tight spot view when needed, it can also be turned off, I don`t bother with that one. highly recommended .

Margaret

Upvote 0

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i wouldn't say essential but its nice to have just to be sure your not going to dink the back of your home

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The type you need does depend on whether you have any (mirror) rear view at all. If you have a rear window it is usually OK for normal forward driving. If that's the case a simple reversing-only camera is very useful in tight corners or crowded areas where it saves your passenger from having to assist - albeit normally from inside the van. If you have zero view from your interior mirror then it makes sense to go for a switchable view camera from the off. Motorhomes are easier to drive and manoeuver than the average car simply because they're a regular shape with perfect side visibility and large mirrors. The only thing that's difficult is judging how close you are to objects directly behind (and to an extent in front as well). A camera solves the problem at the rear. And I'm about to add one to the front too.

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
reversing aid BUT always look or you may reverse somewhere the camera misses eg.overhanging branch it pays to look as you pass before reversing in

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I have parking sensors which work well but I'd like to add a camera as well (best of both) :winky:

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
:thumb::thumb:

go for it you wont be sorry

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
A good idea

We're newbies my wife and I and we are both happy we have reversing cameras. Ours is wireless and is attached to our satnav. It only comes on when we go into reverse gear. We bought all the kit at the camping and caravan exhibition in Birmingham, and its very east to fit. No wiring going through the motorhome. Little problem with that if you rev up it interferes a little with the picture but no big deal. Ours show green yellow and red lines that help when your trying to park. All in all we wouldn't be without it now.

Upvote 0

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Our van came with a reversing camera, which decided to stop working two days before we left the UK in August. :Angry: So we've had six months of reversing with no back window or camera and to be honest, I've got on really well:thumb:
Only backed into four walls and two cars and three trees so, I don't think I'll bother getting it fixed!!!:Eeek:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I find it quite scary since having ours fitted to be able to see what is actually behind you that previously I was unaware of! Quite often when waiting at traffic lights there can be e.g. two cars, a lorry or a transit-sized van or two which are completely invisible using rear view mirrors and only seen on camera! I had considered having one for a while but was finally convinced after pulling out from junction of two little country lanes, decided to drop back slightly as a post van was approaching to let him pass. Probably only went back a foot to give him room but reversed into a car which had pulled up behind me unseen! Also makes overtaking less risky if you can see what is coming up behind you. Whilst it could be said that they are not strictly 'essential' I would not be without one.

Wyn

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi ,again only my views, but I have two cameras fitted. the one on roof is a fairly normal view back down road (ie not a wide angle ) when I engage reverse I get a wide angle shot at bumper level with a grid on the screen.
if I had to replace them id go for two cameras mounted at roof level with the reversing shot looking down the back of the van , giving you a picture of the actual distances involved. with my set up I still have to judge where the object is relative to the grid which is ok if its a wall etc that contacts the ground but car bumpers etc have to be estimated.....
hope you follow that and understand what im on about.
regards andy

Broken Link Removed
the roof mounted camera

Broken Link Removed
the reversing camera

Broken Link Removed
the camera screen

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
It may be a bit late to reply to this but I only joined today (after a bit of lurking)! I don't know much about motor-homes, BUT I have a reversing camera (factory fitted) to my Mitsubishi Barbarian truck. The truck is over 5m long and has a massive blind-spot at the rear. I thought that the RC may be a bit of a gimmick but no, I have found it extremely useful.

I can see if there are any obstructions such as posts, tree stumps or rocks when I reverse. It also allows me to get into parking spaces that I'd have no chance of getting into without assistance. I have had a few drivers in parked cars 'beep' at me as I've closed in!

Anyway the motor-home we have purchased (not collected yet) has a rearview camera already fitted and if it didn't I would certainly have ordered one to be put on before I picked it up.

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

Younguns

Free Member
Jul 31, 2014
Devon Heaven
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since July 2014
Newbie here doing the same. We got ours in July and had camera pre-fitted. only problem I have is that the image of rear and vehicles (obstacles) makes them look a lot further away than they really are. Using it for parking needs to be in conjunction with rear sensors. That said I like having it.
Andy

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have a Mc Camera Mrs R gets out and sees me back, I also have a Mc Nav, Maureen reads the Map and tells me in advance the way to go!
I also have a Mc meal, a Mc cuddle machine, a Mc Laundry a Mc arguement machine,
Why do I need all this up market techhie crap? it's all there in one place! Mrs Mc!
Perhaps you should also use the resources already available to you!

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just got to have the right #2 in the passenger seat! Mrs Mc rules OK!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Mupit

Free Member
Jun 2, 2014
Alloa Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We had a twin view camera and 6 reversing sensors fitted to our motorhome when we bought it last month. Having both visual and audio assistance while reversing is fantastic.

Jim(y)

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Just had twin camera fitted to Hymer, with a dash mounted monitor; One lense is for reversing, and set up to show edge of bike rack + ground, the other lense is set up as rear view.

Both work well, (this is in addition to very localised view I can see from existing rear view internal mirror, and the four rear view mirrors fitted to vehicle sides)

Money well spent in my opinion :)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Wife gets out of cab,
Wife walks to rear of M/H
Wife flaps hand, wife bangs side of M/H to signal you are in position
Wife comes to front of M/H , Man gives her cuddle (which he generally does in any occasion anyway) This is the parsamonious option, hence:
Total cost Zero

Total cost to Street cred, Heaps and Heaps! complete loss of face!

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have a Mc Camera Mrs R gets out and sees me back, I also have a Mc Nav, Maureen reads the Map and tells me in advance the way to go!
I also have a Mc meal, a Mc cuddle machine, a Mc Laundry a Mc arguement machine,
Why do I need all this up market techhie crap? it's all there in one place! Mrs Mc!
Perhaps you should also use the resources already available to you!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back