Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Has anyone any advise on buying reversing camera for my motor home, I do not want a wireless one, there are so many different one's on the market don't know what one to choose prices range from 23--- 169 pounds advise please I have Talbot Express 20ft long

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I had mine supplied and fitted by Dave Newell. He is a member here, does brilliant work and gives a discount to funsters.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I bought a cheapy, it's not very good. I certainly don't trust it when reversing. You have to be aware that the camera is looking from the centre of your MH and things that it appears to be able to avoid are clearly in danger when you look through your side mirror.

Only use one with great caution is my advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Twin cam kit Ā£169 fleabay
Just fitted one to new camper also fitted on last one v. Easy to fit

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi bought mine off ebay from Hong kong 7 inch monitor good colour picture but you might need a extended lead depending on route of cable also mine is the 5 pin plug version no need for any power to camera I think it cost Ā£60 inc postage

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If purely for reversing? they are unreliable for judging distance unless it is looking down and has your bumper in the frame of view. So you want it ideally to be mounted as high as possibly and a bracket that allows it to be tilted to do the above.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I had an expensive single camera Waeco setup but wanted a twin lens instead, much easier when you have a proper rear view camera whilst driving.

Bought system from . Superb picture quality and excellent after sales service.

Mike

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Try DRW electronics on web

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
He is based in Telford so it's quite a trek from you - although even further from us. I think the total cost was just over Ā£600 which is a lot of money but our motorhome was almost new and we didn't have the time or skill/courage to fit the camera ourselves. Let Dave / Jackie know you are a member and there is a discount :)

email: jackie@davenewell.co.uk

www.davenewell.co.uk
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle services
Unit P Court Works Industrial Estate
Bridgnorth Road
Tweedale
Telford
TF7 4JB

01952 587702

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You could make use of the trip. Telford has several museums including Blists Hill living museum. You can spend the time going round while he does the job. Also there is a site nearby where you can pitch up if you want to see more of the area. I can endorse Dave Newell's work. He installed mine.

Wyn

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
7" colour screen plus 2 cameras of fleabay Ā£60 been using it for 6 years now and well pleased. I wired it with a switch rather than as a reversing camera and also use it as a rearview mirror. second camera points at the towbar.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you can use basic hand tools there are plenty of kits available at very reasonable prices.
However, if you have any doubts at all about fitting the kit, you will not go wrong by going to Dave ( Newell ).. His work is exemplory and is coupled with a very good customer back up service

I have a two camera system ( most of the time .. but the monitor I use has the ability to display up to four cameras at once and I do sometimes add to the system with a temporary unit if I am going somewhere a bit sussy ! )
All my cameras are wired so they are on all the time with the ignition.. I like to be able to see as much as possible as much of the time as possible !

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I didn't realise you could get two cameras... Do you switch between them or are they on at the same time. I am planning to start looking in the new year and thinking now I would like one low down to use as a rear view as I'm driving along and one with a wide angle high up looking down for parking..

More toys yay..

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
On your monitor ,mirror or dash mount you can have the choice to switch to each camera as required

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you get a monitor like mine, you can switch it between any one camera, or any two cameras ( split screen ) or indeed display four cameras all at once.
The monitor I use is a 7" jobby and sits on the dash behind the off side A pillar . It was Ā£109 from David at http://www.drwelectronics.com/

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
i have a twin camera system which one camera is on all the time and the other comes on when you put the van in reverse so best of both worlds

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Has anyone any advise on buying reversing camera for my motor home, I do not want a wireless one, there are so many different one's on the market don't know what one to choose prices range from 23--- 169 pounds advise please I have Talbot Express 20ft long

I have just had fitted a wireless rear cam and because there was no hard wiring to be done it took the engineer approx 25mins to fit AND contrary to what some would say it works a dream. and it cost Ā£35

You'll find it on ebay It clips over the existing rear view mirror. I have mine set up so that it comes on with the ignition as I use it as a rear view mirror and not just a reversing camera.
Almost forgot it also comes with a small remote control

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
well this wil get you going
if you a good driver you will check b-4 you reverse on to a pich or in an
awkward spot a camera is an ade

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
I have just had fitted a wireless rear cam and because there was no hard wiring to be done it took the engineer approx 25mins to fit AND contrary to what some would say it works a dream. and it cost Ā£35

You'll find it on ebay It clips over the existing rear view mirror. I have mine set up so that it comes on with the ignition as I use it as a rear view mirror and not just a reversing camera.
Almost forgot it also comes with a small remote control
Any chance of a Ebay link ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
i have a twin camera system which one camera is on all the time and the other comes on when you put the van in reverse so best of both worlds
I have the same, top idea.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Any chance of a Ebay link ?

Here
Broken Link Removed

Mine is on as soon as I start engine rather than the reversing light because rear view is very limited so I use it as a rear view mirror

PS go through all of the ads as there may be the same but cheaper on ebay

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Thanks jonchris.
Just ordered one very similar but decided on the number plate mounted camera.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I don't have a rear view mirror so that wouldn't work for me. I like the idea of wireless but can't think where there's a permanently live feed at the back and seems to me if you're having to run wires for power it's no extra effort to run a wired camera?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back