Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello all. Has anyone had a reversing camera installed? If so I would like to know

which one,
Who fitted it
Any comments on its usefulness and ease of use

I have a roadscout R just in case that makes a difference.

Thanks Ronidog

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I bought the wired twin one from DRW electronics, I fitted it but it still works very well.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I already had a Garmin Camper Sat Nav and wireless camera. I managed to install it on our Campscout on the rear door and feed the cable into the overhead cabinet to wire into the main 12V system. I can use it full time but need to switch manually when I use reverse gear.

I had looked at lots of systems but could not justify the costs since I already had the system. I did find that our Campscout was prewired from the high brake light to the dashboard. It might be worth checking yours since it could make a DIY or professional installation easier.

If I wasn't so frugal, it would be nice to have a separate camera from the sat nav so that I can still see the nav system when I use it for the rear view while driving. It's not a chore to switch it on when I need to reverse and I really like being able to see what is behind me! Having the camera higher up on the brake light would give a better view I think, but I am happy for a zero net cost... for now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I just removed the brake light and found the cabling. Globecar were amazingly efficient and labelled it "camera" :). The cable under the dash is just a coil of cable - it might be labelled monitor, I don't recall.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
@CamperSue that's good news. I always wondered what that coil of cable under the cab was for. It falls on the floor and I push it back in again.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We have a Dometec twin camera, it was fitted by Vanbitz when they installed the alarm. It works just fine for us.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had a duel camera fitted by Towsure the monitor fits on the rear view mirror, it needs to be switched manually for reversing. A man came to the house to fit it. We've had it a few years now and had no problems. I think we got 10% discount for the caravan and camping club.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hello all. Has anyone had a reversing camera installed? If so I would like to know

which one,
Who fitted it

Thanks Ronidog

Roni,

Just be careful which one you choose as there are two types of wiring systems for camera units.

Example-1: The first is where the monitor is hardwired into the van's power circuit and where the monitor then provides the power directly to the camera(s).

Example-2: The second option is where the monitor is hard wired but then requires seperate power lines to the cameras; the power lines would be splayed from the power source (ideally) which supports the monitor.

In my Globecar, albeit an H-line model, I found the coiled-up monitor wire at the bottom of the B-pillar housing. It's the 8-pin version so that in theory should support example-1 above.

All the best,

Andrew

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have a wireless camra that came with a cheap chinese sat nav a few years ago keep meaning to get around to trying it but never have still keep chucking the wife out!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

which one,
Who fitted it

Thanks Ronidog
Rear camera is a twin camera from Reversing Cameras UK, also have a front camera & a service camera (on waste outlet, allows me to dump withiutmoving from drivers seat).
All fitted myself, made up a relay switch box so I can select cameras, use my double din stereo for the monitor.
As for usefulness I wouldn't want to drive a Motorhome without them.

Nov 17, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Rear camera is a twin camera from Reversing Cameras UK, also have a front camera & a service camera (on waste outlet, allows me to dump withiutmoving from drivers seat).
All fitted myself, made up a relay switch box so I can select cameras, use my double din stereo for the monitor.
As for usefulness I wouldn't want to drive a Motorhome without them.

Can I ask which one you got? I am torn between getting a single reversing only camera (which would mean finding space on the dashboard for the monitor where I could see it as well as the SatNav) or a twin system with the monitor clipped over the rear view mirror. I can see out of the rear window on the passenger side (2004 Fiat Ducato) quite adequately but the price difference is not that great between the two. The one I looked at was £200 excluding fitting and I'm reluctant to spend that much at the moment. If anyone can recommend a good system I'd be very grateful. Apologies if I have hijacked the thread!!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our twin rear camera system also came from Reversing Cameras UK. I fitted it myself and one camera is set up as rear view and the second is pointing down on the rear for reversing and when an obstacle comes into view it's time to stop. I switch between the two rather than via reverse gear.
The picture quality was better than I expected and on the whole street and motorway lighting is enough to keep the cameras in daylight mode.

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/7-inch-mirror-monitor-monitor-and-twin-lens-reversing-camera.html

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can I ask which one you got? I am torn between getting a single reversing only camera (which would mean finding space on the dashboard for the monitor where I could see it as well as the SatNav) or a twin system with the monitor clipped over the rear view mirror. I can see out of the rear window on the passenger side (2004 Fiat Ducato) quite adequately but the price difference is not that great between the two. The one I looked at was £200 excluding fitting and I'm reluctant to spend that much at the moment. If anyone can recommend a good system I'd be very grateful. Apologies if I have hijacked the thread!!
This is the camera I fitted the same one on the last van. I've had the monitor that clips over the mirror in the past, problem with them is they have a hard glass screen difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
in the past, problem with them is they have a hard glass screen difficult to see in bright

I don't seem to suffer with the mirror mounted monitor on our "C" class and I was wondering if with yours being an "A" class, that the extra area of side window that you have lets in more light causing glare.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't seem to suffer with the mirror mounted monitor on our "C" class and I was wondering if with yours being an "A" class, that the extra area of side window that you have lets in more light causing glare.
No it was on a Hymer Tramp standard X250 cab. On my A Class all the cameras are wired to my double din stereo.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I had a duel camera fitted by Towsure the monitor fits on the rear view mirror, it needs to be switched manually for reversing. A man came to the house to fit it. We've had it a few years now and had no problems. I think we got 10% discount for the caravan and camping club.

I did not know that Towsure did mobile fitting. Is this across the country?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No it was on a Hymer Tramp standard X250 cab. On my A Class all the cameras are wired to my double din stereo.
Don't know if it's of interest but I suffered from reflections on a mirror-mounted monitor on my last van. I found you can buy anti-reflective screen guards for mobile phones that can be cut to size. Mine worked a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back