Reversing camera wire routing (1 Viewer)

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
ive an Autotrail but most vans are alike re
I plan to fit reversing camera probably on the rear high level brake light casing and use same route as the brake light cables ,
Any tips re getting cable down to the bottom inside the van wall, a draw wire of some description ? Would it be a void to drop through , ?
Probably polystyrene in there I don't know
Any tips
Ta

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Can't help re your specific van but have fitted a few reversing cameras to a number of vans..
Some have a double skin and void that saves opening up a hole through the van interior..but if that's the only option then you have no choice if it's a hard wired system..
I do whatever is necessary to bring cable to the underside of van and then run it up to engine compartment and into dash through bulkhead or sometimes a route in around the door steps ..
In general I've always found it quicker to create my own route..as the cable has some fittings that need large holes for easy passage..ie 12mm or more..
Ta andy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We'd always mounted our rear view camera high up however last year we were in a hurry to get it on before we went on a holiday shortly after we got the van, so it was put temporarily under the rear bumper ... it worked so well there that it's stayed put with just the addition of a little cowl to give it protection from road dirt (old Tuppaware tub cut down and sprayed black) - the view is very good and being at that height makes reversing/parking much easier than when it was high up, it also made getting the cables to the front much easier as no trying to route them up to the top! You can see it in the below photo just below the bumper centre point.

camera.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We'd always mounted our rear view camera high up however last year we were in a hurry to get it on before we went on a holiday shortly after we got the van, so it was put temporarily under the rear bumper ... it worked so well there that it's stayed put with just the addition of a little cowl to give it protection from road dirt (old Tuppaware tub cut down and sprayed black) - the view is very good and being at that height makes reversing/parking much easier than when it was high up, it also made getting the cables to the front much easier as no trying to route them up to the top! You can see it in the below photo just below the bumper centre point.

View attachment 119564
MG did you find any problems with dirt/rain as I was thinking of mounting mine in the same place, any suggestions about where to buy from
Thks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You can get cameras mounted in a number plate surround, might be relatively easy to wire up. We have an old mono camera and monitor, the camera is just below the roof looking down and gives a good view of the rear end but I would like a double camera, one looking down and the other as a rear view camera. I may have a look at wireless kits to save on cabling.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it depends on year and model but some autotrails are pre wired for the optional camera. along chassis

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
That gives me a lot to go on and ideas to ponder, I've fitted a few cameras in the past but mainly low down ones ie panel van wireless ones Mondial van and the like but have been to bed since then ha !
I would like to fit one low down but then it would be a single cam not a double , I obviously want the easiest option but with the best view from the rear so a bit of giving it a good look at is called for
Thanks guys a real help. .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van I finite da bullet camera by the number plate and ran the cables along the chassis and up through the battery box. I was OK to see if it was clear at the rear but too wide an angle for accurate reversing.
Current van twin camera mounted high up, ran cables through existing trunking in the cupboards dropped them down behind the fridge along behind the kitchen at floor level then drilled a hole through the floor then along and across the chassis and up through the battery box. Exterior cables protected with flexible split conduit.

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Ta 4 that
This morn I was going to go for a bullet cam low down number plate area but yeh I remember the way you've described the view from it mm !
So in light of that me thinks now will sus possibility of going high using twin cam & if route down is too difficult go then go down the bullet road , as someone said there may be pre installed camera cable there .
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Last van I finite da bullet camera by the number plate and ran the cables along the chassis and up through the battery box. I was OK to see if it was clear at the rear but too wide an angle for accurate reversing.
Current van twin camera mounted high up, ran cables through existing trunking in the cupboards dropped them down behind the fridge along behind the kitchen at floor level then drilled a hole through the floor then along and across the chassis and up through the battery box. Exterior cables protected with flexible split conduit.
Blimey just seen my grammar and spelling, did that post in bed on the boss's crapPad.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ta 4 that
This morn I was going to go for a bullet cam low down number plate area but yeh I remember the way you've described the view from it mm !
So in light of that me thinks now will sus possibility of going high using twin cam & if route down is too difficult go then go down the bullet road , as someone said there may be pre installed camera cable there .
Thanks
With the cameras high up I can reverse within 2 or 3 inches of wall without a problem no chance with a bullet camera.

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I've read some of the things I've posted
Before now and like you have been so embarrassed ,( it don't matter do it )

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Just been on to Autotrail and there is no pre installed wiring in rear of motorhome for camera unless they fit a camera in the first place , so prob go ahead with the bullet one low down .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
MG did you find any problems with dirt/rain as I was thinking of mounting mine in the same place, any suggestions about where to buy from
Thks
No problem at all with dirt/rain, which was a surprise, and why we chose to leave it there, we just added the little cowl later to give it a bit of protection, more from stones/debris etc being thrown up off the road/wheels than anything else. Works a treat.

Hubby just got it off ebay - I'll have to ask him which he got but I know it wasn't expensive!

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Low down reversing cameras
Ime going to go with one mainly a high up one is more fussy to do , in comparison a low one is relatively easy to do ( a bonus)
the one Ime getting is a Cam 38 a good spec cam @ £60

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I put a number late camera on our Tracker which fits low level just above number plate worked really well and only had to drill hole through rear skirt and wire down along chassis entering through back of step area strait up to fuse box and dash.

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Would you think fitting a reversing camera system would/may affect the Canbus,
If so can I get around it by using a different 12v supply position ie ciggi lighter or a feed that's not so sensitive .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Alonsos we have ours linked to a 12v ciggy plug which we put into one of the cab dash sockets, saves messing about with connecting it to the vehicle wiring. I'm going to put in some more 12v sockets in the cab, linked to the existing dash sockets, so that we can plug into them instead and leave the main cab ones for other things, it will also mean that the cables can be hidden/put out of the way of our dogs' so they can't accidentally catch them with their legs as once happened and they pulled the wire out of the plug end!

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008