Reversing camera questions re monitor and lens (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'm thinking of getting a reversing camera to fit in the MH (I might stop spending after that....might!). What are people's thoughts on position of the monitor?(mirror mount or dash mount). I have a window in the back so do use the existing mirror, although it doesn't show much. I want to fit a twin camera system. Also I have been reading about different lens angles. What is recommended for "rear view" (as opposed to "reversing") lens angle?
Current thinking is something along the lines of this:
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/...6294_shop/Products/HD706/SubProducts/HD706W5m

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Good kit on ebay which is wireless so don't need to run cables through the van

£45 including delivery been one on my sisters van for a year works perfect :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Tambo..still need to get power from somewhere so thats a wire. Twin camera wireless?

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm thinking of getting a reversing camera to fit in the MH (I might stop spending after that....might!). What are people's thoughts on position of the monitor?(mirror mount or dash mount). I have a window in the back so do use the existing mirror, although it doesn't show much. I want to fit a twin camera system. Also I have been reading about different lens angles. What is recommended for "rear view" (as opposed to "reversing") lens angle?
http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/...6294_shop/Products/HD706/SubProducts/HD706W5m
Stick to a hard wirred system, much more reliable. fitted a 2 camera system withe mirror mounted monitor, absolutely fantastic as a rear view mirror replacement even in the rain.
Lee.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have the twin cam hard wired with 7" mirror mount as stated previous fabulous bit of kit with no rear windows have perfect vision rear view

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Over the last several years and (three motorhomes) I bought reversing cameras from the above mentioned.......make sure you chose the Sony CCD camera, I found the rear view mirror fit best for my purposes, the last system I bought was the Sony twin camera...one for rear view, one for reversing...one issue should be mentioned if you have a fitted rear bike rack with the bikes attached plus a bike cover the reversing camera view can be obstructed
you can always fit a small bullet camera lower down on the body mounted to avoid the bikes and fit a single camera as high as possible on the body for your rear view purpose...one last comment you don't need to spend hundreds of pounds:)

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a similar camera set up to the one in your link, except that I went for internal mirror mount only because it was already there and when I drive I was glancing at it periodically even though all I saw was the rear bedroom!!. now with the monitor there I can switch between rear view and reversing (which enables me to keep an eye on the smart car) but I did have it done by a company as I didnt have the time to do the work myself although its very easy to do.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Tambo..still need to get power from somewhere so thats a wire. Twin camera wireless?
Yes a live and negative feed from stereo or cigarette lighter is a big difference from running an 8 mm thick cable from front to rear of van for video feed and still have to connect power at either end

Not to mention the £150 saving ....its a single camera but i guess they probably do twins too although not sure why 2 is required ......i don't have any on mine I just use the mirrors ......oh and good driving :p

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have a bike rack on the back but don't use a cover. Is it just the cover thats the problem? I've not looked down from the roof when the bikes are on to see just how much of an obstruction it all is.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
The kit you linked to with the twin camera and monitor is also on ebay with either rear mirror monitor or 7 inch dash monitor for £169 free postage

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks tambo. I have certainly found one very like it for £169. But lower res monitor, bracket not stainless and non waterproof connectors. Also don't know much about Sharp CCD cameras. the one I'm looking at is a Sony CCD.

EDIT: Just found a hi res one at that price...there's a lot there.

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have a bike rack on the back but don't use a cover. Is it just the cover thats the problem? I've not looked down from the roof when the bikes are on to see just how much of an obstruction it all is.
Please bear in mind that if there is no bike rack cover (fiamma or what ever) the camera if fitted correctly will 'see' down between the bike rack and the rear panel of the van...But therein lies another problem that is the projection of the bike rack off the body, the camera's distorted view can't detect this distance so without due diligence you could make contact with an obstruction , so even with a reversing camera system, care and if possible, wife :D may still required....my partial fix to this problem was to fit reversing sensors ( audible bleep with count down indicator fitted above rear view mirror:cool:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I bought from this company last October and they were great to deal with. I wanted a roof mounted monitor as thought too much 'gubbins' already on the dash (tyre pal, sat nav etc) and internal mirror not an option because of blinds. I did have a problem with the monitor after about a month but the company replaced it without question. I have the twin camera fitted and no problem when the bike is on the rack, just the reversing sensors are constant bleep - mine is a tow bar cycle rack.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I bought a hard wired twin camera system from DRW electronics, cost about £110 and works fine, it’s not hi def, widescreen or panavision 3D, it does what it’s supposed to, lets me see what’s going on behind the van. We carry bikes with no cover and when it’s on the “close up reversing” camera, you do see a lot of the bikes, but you still see what’s directly behind you too. Wouldn’t be without it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back