Reversing Camera Palaver (1 Viewer)

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
So the camera on my Burstner van packed up whilst on a recent trip to France. I deduced it was the camera and not the Pioneer head unit. So I thought I’ll order a new one from Amazon and get my local dealer to fit it for me. I ordered the unit whilst I was in England and then when I was back home in Holland went to my local dealer. They said they wouldn’t fit it for me. Tried another place, same story. Apparently it’s because I’m supplying the camera and not them. I was very annoyed at this lack of customer service, I mean I was happy to pay the labour charge, but no.
So having spent 100 quid for a camera, I didn’t just want to leave it sitting on a shelf in the garage, my only option was to have a go at fitting it myself. Being a technical numpty I was very scared of the challenge ahead.
Anyway I discovered from the manual that the green wire was for the reversing light and the white wire was the negative. Fortunately I managed to locate a big clump of wires in the vans garage which matched with the diagram in the manual. Cutting into the wires, I had visions of having to call out the breakdown service. I fitted the camera behind the number plate and fed the wires up into the garage. To cut a very long story short, it all worked. I was gobsmacked and delighted at the same time.
I’m writing this to encourage other women to have a go. You can do it If you are determined enough.
I had no option as I’m on my own and the dealers wouldn’t help me

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very well done dont it make you feel good,
Good tip for novices and experts alike when tackling something for the first time your phones camera is your best friend you will be surprised how much it helps to put things back as they were.
For the record we dont like fitting customers parts for good reason.
Imagine a week later the camera burns out the electrics completely, whose to blame ?the garage or your parts if we supply and fit we get protection from our suppliers from yours we dont

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Very well done dont it make you feel good,
Good tip for novices and experts alike when tackling something for the first time your phones camera is your best friend you will be surprised how much it helps to put things back as they were.
For the record we dont like fitting customers parts for good reason.
Imagine a week later the camera burns out the electrics completely, whose to blame ?the garage or your parts if we supply and fit we get protection from our suppliers from yours we dont
Totally understand that ..but if its a regular customer and you explained that...then at least they would have the option of paying for the fitting knowing it comes with no guarantee..
Andy

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Totally understand that ..but if its a regular customer and you explained that...then at least they would have the option of paying for the fitting knowing it comes with no guarantee..
Andy
Yes agree. I was happy to just pay them to do it and understood there wouldn’t be a guarantee. But that wasn’t even offered. So being a stubborn sod I wasn’t going to just leave it there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ive had em come back after fitting e bay parts and getting them to sign a waver
screaming that clutch failed after 6000 miles you must have have fitted it wrong
not good in front of queuing customers.

I've even been blamed for reversing sensors that failed and caused her to revers into a stationary car
they didn't give enough notice :doh: the set i offered her were £13 cheaper else ware
was once given a bill for valeting due to welding smell inside van.

No, your everybody's best friend till 50Ks worth goes up in smoke
Thats when "Where there's a blame theres a claim mentality kick in"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back