LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Do any of you use Reversing Alarms on your MH. I say this as I have just come across; during my endless search for gadgets, a light filament that you swop your existing reversing lamp for and it beeps when you select reverse.
My theory could be that if someone cannot see a 10 x 8 ft white square moving towards them then would they hear / bother with an alarm - partially sighted people excluded!!
Good idea / Bad idea – just another useless gadget and behave yourself and look after your money and spend more wisely - on beer and women?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Zigisla I have heard about these and if you have a modern van with canbus system it may cause a problem .:)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Hi,Zigisla I have heard about these and if you have a modern van with canbus system it may cause a problem .:)
Very good point. I had Eddie Vanbitz explain all about Canbus, so hopefully I can see why. Maybe a proper system then??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It won't make you popular on an aire or site reversing late at night..

I had one on my RV and removed it for that reason..

If you do fit, have a switch to turn it off..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I new this was the right place to post this. Haven't thought of that either. My MH has been replated to 3800 does this put me into that bracket?

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Have heard of folk who fitted these but found that the beep died pretty quickly. Not tried one myself but agree with @ScotJim. Have noticed that all the bin wagons that used to have them no longer do.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I suppose I should be able to see them in the camera, so could use horn. Still if I knock someone over, because of overhang I have at least 7 ft before I run them over. :LOL:(y)

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
A good reversing buzzer has wiring that switches it off when side lights are on (at night), also the crow scare is recommended rather than the beeper type, not as loud but more effective.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A good reversing buzzer has wiring that switches it off when side lights are on (at night), also the crow scare is recommended rather than the beeper type, not as loud but more effective.

it's when it's dark that you are more likely to hit something or someone, which sort of defeats the object.. besides.. day or night.. loud or quiet, beepers are not going to make you popular on a site.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They have been around for many many years.. Used them in a couple of vehicles back in the day but aint bothered for donkeys years

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
http://www.transportsfriend.org/road/cab.html

Just found this. If anyone besides me is interested. It does say not for goods vehicles not less than 2000 kg. So in theory I am heavier, but not technically a goods vehicle.
I think though that for campsite annoyance, wild camp only, for night time, reverse only in the day (unless wild camping) and for safety, use the wife with waving red flags. – just remember to pick her up when going forwards again.
Thanks again. Now back to the internet for more toys!!!:rolleyes:
Just under 2 weeks to go :clap:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The more modern ones with halogen bulbs should be OK with canbus though I suspect the earlier ones with leds will upset canbus. I had them on several vehicles but found that almost every one ignores them so have stopped fitting them, beep or no beep the idiots will still walk in the path of a reversing vehicle

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
it's when it's dark that you are more likely to hit something or someone, which sort of defeats the object.. besides.. day or night.. loud or quiet, beepers are not going to make you popular on a site.
And reversing over someone is going to increase your popularity lol

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had one fitted in an RV once. Early one evening I found myself trapped in a tiny Spanish village square. During the 47 point turn I needed to do to excavate my way out, the blasted beeping increased the embarrassment factor by at least 10 :)
"excavate" - how deep in the sH!t were you :D:D

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
Knowing my luck, if i had one, the person i run over will be deaf anyway. And my dogs too big. Once that thing lies down, no beeping is going to shift it.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
You can get talking ones, who would risk "danger wife/husband reversing"

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When my reversing alarm is working, although silent, I can tell by the look of alarm on her face and the frantic thumping on the side of the Van that I'm getting close.:cool:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
When my reversing alarm is working, although silent, I can tell by the look of alarm on her face and the frantic thumping on the side of the Van that I'm getting close.:cool:
Hey Rangi Ive got one of those except when reversing she always stands out of view so you cant see her hand signals :rolleyes:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Do any of you use Reversing Alarms on your MH. I say this as I have just come across; during my endless search for gadgets, a light filament that you swop your existing reversing lamp for and it beeps when you select reverse.
My theory could be that if someone cannot see a 10 x 8 ft white square moving towards them then would they hear / bother with an alarm - partially sighted people excluded!!
Good idea / Bad idea – just another useless gadget and behave yourself and look after your money and spend more wisely - on beer and women?

I fitted a truck type device to the motorhome chassis and added a manual switch wish I did it a long time ago one day they will be a standard fit some of the expensive ones have night time switch out circuit built into them

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hey Rangi Ive got one of those except when reversing she always stands out of view so you cant see her hand signals :rolleyes:
Mine too - with extras. She comes to the cab window to say I'm close enough to whatever it is (usually the car trailer). When I ask her how far I'm off she goes back to have a look. If it's the trailer hitch & I then ask which way I need to turn to get closer ................... she goes back for another look.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mine too - with extras. She comes to the cab window to say I'm close enough to whatever it is (usually the car trailer). When I ask her how far I'm off she goes back to have a look. If it's the trailer hitch & I then ask which way I need to turn to get closer ................... she goes back for another look.
You have to learn to stand away from the rear of the MH so that the OH can't try to squish you if you've had a row and claim it was an accident, and of course learn suitable hand signals!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back