Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry I wasn't trying to be flippant. I was having a go at all the wallies that make up RP leads

I drop a earth lead to a spike from my motorhome seems to work 9 (stops the tingling)

Loddy

So that goes from the chassis to a spike in the ground??

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid on this I am blonde and a female.... oh oh I have opened up a can of worms now, saying that????? only a joke!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
On sites without EARTH I have experienced a tingle when touching metal corners, I drive a metal spike about 9" or as far as I can into the ground and connect a piece of thick earth type cable to which I have affixed 2x crocodile clips, one end to a bolt on the chassis other end to spike, that takes away the tingle, the piece of cable I also use for connecting my leisure to chassis battery to keep both charged, but that's another story

Loddy :thumb:

P.S. evertthing you carry must have 2 or more uses

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
For the sake of clarity for the OP... The caravan club advise the following,

And an EN60309-2 plug is also shown.

And for those happy to proceed without due consideration for reverse polarity - or for that matter, earthing - Natural Selection will, thankfully, prevail...

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 36
  • EN 60309-2 Plug.jpg
    EN 60309-2 Plug.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 19

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Sorry if I sound a bit stupid on this I am blonde and a female.... oh oh I have opened up a can of worms now, saying that????? only a joke!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On the contrary! You will probably get loads of help now!

Reverse Polarity. Do not worry about it

Bad or no earth - Worry about it

All I have is one of these. Link Removed

I have a short lenght of cable with a socket on one end and a normal hookup socket on the other. This plugs into a normal hookup post or if its two pin it plugs into my adaptor. This means that basically I can walk from EHU post to EHU post testing them all without uncoiling my 25 metre lead in the van.

If I get all three lights on I know its live and its earthed so I am happy. If I get no earth I dont use. If its Reversed Polarity but earthed I still use it.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
For the sake of clarity for the OP... The caravan club advise the following,

And an EN60309-2 plug is also shown.

And for those happy to proceed without due consideration for reverse polarity - or for that matter, earthing - Natural Selection will, thankfully, prevail...

Is that the same Caravan Club that advise us not to use Aires or Wildcamp in France as we will all die?

With the greatest respect, they are full of Sh$t

I think I would prefer to believe what I have been told from at least two fully qualified Motorhome Electricians that RP is not an issue unless your van is 30 years old.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
That's a 3 pin plug euro thingy, The French don't use many of them.

Loddy

Thankfully prevail = naughty boy

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
Is that the same Caravan Club that advise us not to use Aires or Wildcamp in France as we will all die?

With the greatest respect, they are full of Sh$t

I think I would prefer to believe what I have been told from at least two fully qualified Motorhome Electricians that RP is not an issue unless your van is 30 years old.

They are wrong... and I don't know what the age of van has to do with it.

That's a 3 pin plug euro thingy, The French don't use many of them.

Loddy

Thankfully prevail = naughty boy

If the euro 3 pin thingy IS being used then a RP issue cannot EASILY be addressed...

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Yes they do !!! They buy a male and female and bastardise them

Loddy

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ok, if its an issue and both the chaps I spoke to who have worked on motorhome electrics for God knows how many decades are wrong seeing as a lot of us dont bother about RP how come I have never heard of anyone either getting electrocuted or blowing up their electrics because of RP?

I think the reference to older vans was because they didn't have the internal protection boards newer vans (last 20 odd years or so) have.

Anyway, I wont be worrying about it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, if its an issue and both the chaps I spoke to who have worked on motorhome electrics for God knows how many decades are wrong seeing as a lot of us dont bother about RP how come I have never heard of anyone either getting electrocuted or blowing up their electrics because of RP?

I think the reference to older vans was because they didn't have the internal protection boards newer vans (last 20 odd years or so) have.

Anyway, I wont be worrying about it.
thats a very acceptable reason to me.

RP..and the neutral wire would be live with no protection whatsoever.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To be fair to all it should be known that , Simandjo (Simon) is a highly qualified electrician who's works consists of not only testing but certifying Motor homes of all marks and vintages inc American Rvs for electrical safety, inc issuing recognised certificates to that effect :winky:
I have had my knuckles wrapped this afternoon for effectively giving out advice, that will in my own opinion,be unlikely to result in harm
that is however contrary to good practice
based of course on his training and integrity as a qualified person in the field under disscusion ie electrical safe practice.
Maybe we can all learn something,
I have, and may think more carefully before taking such a stance in future
giving advice to a novice should be in the first intance safe beyond question and second correct, you could then offer alternatives if you so choose

Sore knuckles
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To be fair to all it should be known that , Simandjo (Simon) is a highly qualified electrician who's works consists of not only testing but certifying Motor homes of all marks and vintages inc American Rvs for electrical safety, inc issuing recognised certificates to that effect :winky:
I have had my knuckles wrapped this afternoon for effectively giving out advice, that will in my own opinion,be unlikely to result in harm
that is however contrary to good practice
based of course on his training and integrity as a qualified person in the field under disscusion ie electrical safe practice.
Maybe we can all learn something,
I have, and may think more carefully before taking such a stance in future
giving advice to a novice should be in the first intance safe beyond question and second correct, you could then offer alternatives if you so choose

Sore knuckles
Geo

No one could dispute that good working practice should never be compromised.

however, the OP question wasn't about reverse polarity in the MH installation .. but in the EHU supply ..

I'm not trying to be pedantic, or being argumentative, but I have yet to have anyone give a scenario where reverse polarity in the EHU supply would be dangerous (apart from someone opening up a piece of electrical equipment and relying on the switch or MCB for isolation ) ..

Perhaps Simon could explain under what circumstances it would be dangerous .. that would silence the nay sayers and hopefully put this debate to bed, once and for all.

Last edited:

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
Reverse polarity

We have 2 electric cables and we know we need a reverse polarity cable when we tour France, can anyone tell me if this is ok to do.........
We want to take the end off one cable and reverse the wires and then effectively giving us a reverse polarity cable and one normal one, we need to buy a tester first to tell us if it is indeed reverse polarity before we use any one cable.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this? we have been told by the help on touring for the first time that a 6 inch one will do but as we have 2 cables perhaps that will suffice?:winky:

Spooky-I bought a short connector cable today with a 2 pin plug for use in France next month and this evening reversed the wires as above. Have a polarity tester so if it doesn't work, we are both wrong but I'm confident it will!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No one could dispute that good working practice should never be compromised.

however, the OP question wasn't about reverse polarity in the MH installation .. but in the EHU supply ..

I'm not trying to be pedantic, or being argumentative, but I have yet to have anyone give a scenario where reverse polarity in the EHU supply would be dangerous (apart from someone opening up a piece of electrical equipment and relying on the switch or MCB for isolation ) ..

Perhaps Simon could explain under what circumstances it would be dangerous .. that would silence the nay sayers and hopefully put this debate to bed, once and for all.
Says it all really Jim, RP is a compromise on saftey IF the novice interprets it as being perfectly safe in all scenarios, for the likes of you, me, and many more with experiance its not a problem at all, we should I now feel answer the OP with the best answer, and that is yes get or make RP cable, its a sfae answer its not confusing and above all it's GOOD PRACTICE:thumb:
Geo
PS if such a scenario exsist im sure Sim will post about it:winky:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with Geo no problem as long as you don't play about with the electrics. BUT for under a tenner i bought the plugs and swapped the live and neg around just to be sure. Belt n braces. ::bigsmile:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Reverse polarity can in certain circumstances result in damage, injury or death, as said safe practice should be first and foremost. Flippant remarks and mick taking toward those who do take this seriously and make up RP leads on a thread started by a relative novice asking sensible advice beggar belief.

Rant over:Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Reverse polarity can in certain circumstances result in damage, injury or death, as said safe practice should be first and foremost. Flippant remarks and mick taking toward those who do take this seriously and make up RP leads on a thread started by a relative novice asking sensible advice beggar belief.

Rant over:Blush:
Hi Stewart
Its just what Jim is looking for:thumb: please describe the certain circumsatnces that dont involve stripping an appliance or socket that result in damage danger or death
Geo
Ps no one is being flippant were looking for the answers

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Reversed polarity presents a serious shock risk. Turning off a breaker appears to remove power from the circuit because it turns off all appliances connected to that circuit. But with reversed polarity you have disconnected the appliance from ground, not from power. The circuit is still live!

The net is full of answers Google "dangers of reverse polarity" heres a starter.

Link Removed

But why take any chances as said "Good safe working practices" should be first and foremost.

Stewart

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think it is time to put this one to bed folks ... we could argue for ever on the 'what ifs'

My last word and final advice on this topic:

The electrical regulations set out best practice principles, which , if adhered to, will prevent DANGER.

A Motorhome does have the POTENTIAL to give rise to danger. It is 'reasonably practicable', in that case, to remedy the POTENTIAL danger, by simply putting right the polarity, and thereby removing the possibility of giving rise to danger.

If you are aware of this, you should do so.

Purchase a polarity tester and a reverse polarity lead.. and use them .. it's not worth taking any risk ... no matter how small.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Reversed polarity presents a serious shock risk. Turning off a breaker appears to remove power from the circuit because it turns off all appliances connected to that circuit. But with reversed polarity you have disconnected the appliance from ground, not from power. The circuit is still live!

The net is full of answers Google "dangers of reverse polarity" heres a starter.

Link Removed

But why take any chances as said "Good safe working practices" should be first and foremost.

Stewart

I agree...............:thumb: Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
ScotJimland;

The electrical regulations set out best practice principles, which , if adhered to, will prevent DANGER.

A Motorhome does have the POTENTIAL to give rise to danger. It is 'reasonably practicable', in that case, to remedy the POTENTIAL danger, by simply putting right the polarity, and thereby removing the possibility of giving rise to danger.

If you are aware of this, you should do so.

Purchase a polarity tester and a reverse polarity lead.. and use them .. it's not worth taking any risk ... no matter how small.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this information also.....................Mel:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Link Removed

Stewart

I agree with all what Stewart has written and a few others on RP.............:thumb: Mel,

I think the person who started this thread is a female...maybe a single person on her own (I may be wrong) and needed correct answers, (not the practice some may do themselves that may know a little or a lot about electricity ) it is better to pass on safe and correct information, than take any risk no matter how small.....................Mel

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Were you killed ? :Eeek:

Sorry - not being flippant, honest, just interested in your welfare :ROFLMAO:

Yes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Saved by a bucket full of sand for an xmas tree to stand in, mini drove up and stopped, wheels spinning so I pulled the HT lead off, I was to the side luckily.

I was young and it taught me to go check vehicles we're out of gear before pressing the button on the started solonoid under the bonnet:Doh::Blush:

And as to all this RP malarky, yesterday I was happy with 'get on with it it fine', today, I'll make up a RP widget, if any doubt be safe. Mind you no earth is worrying me too now:Doh:

We haven't made it into Europe yet but hope to soon so all good stuff this:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with all what Stewart has written and a few others on RP.............:thumb: Mel,

I think the person who started this thread is a female...maybe a single person on her own (I may be wrong) and needed correct answers, (not the practice some may do themselves that may know a little or a lot about electricity ) it is better to pass on safe and correct information, than take any risk no matter how small.....................Mel

This is just one reason why I think you must give the correct info.

Last year we stopped on the Aire at Ondres plage...just above Biarritz south west Atlantic side of France.
on site was including us 7 French motorhomes all connected to one bank of EHU, either 6 or 8 points on the newly fitted industrial consumer unit ..... (one of consumer units was turned off....)

Another French motorhome arrived a female late 50s on her own with a westy dog....a three wheeled bicycle with a basket on the front for the dog........first day hot and sunny, all ok,...second day her parents arrived around 11.30am picked her up and off they went for lunch .......well it rained ( I mean rained) for about 3 hours.....all our power went off, all 7 vans...so we needed to know what was the cause and rectify, reset the trips if possible,... or did we need electric company EDF.....when I looked round the single females van which was next to mine ...there was the problem coming out from underneath the window was a extension cable a 4 way extension cable....and when you followed it all the the main fuse ehu...there was 4, 5, or even 6 other 1 meter long 4 way extensions all the way to the box full up with water like soup bowls...(they are quite cheap 4 way sometimes about 1 or 2 euros each)........we spent most of the afternoon unscrewing the multi sockets and drying them out and finish off with a hair dyer, then try and make them water proof.......when the female arrived back late afternoon (rain had stopped) dog was still inside the van....... said she was told that a short extension was ok to use.. *********...one of the Frenchmen checked inside her motorhome to make sure all was safe and well for her and explained the best route to take with connections from the EHU to the van, what type of connection what type of cable to use and length.

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Reverse Polarity topic comes up regularly and can be as much fun as gas attack and A frame legality threads.

The problem is, now almost everyone agrees that gas attacks don't happen, and that it does not matter whether a frames ae legal or not unless in Spain. Now these items are being debated less and less. :Sad: So long live the RP debate to cheer along winter days.:thumb:

NB: An RV dealer told me the other day that I could drive a 10 ton RV on my car licence, surely not!:roflmto:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Reverse Polarity topic comes up regularly and can be as much fun as gas attack and A frame legality threads.

The problem is, now almost everyone agrees that gas attacks don't happen, and that it does not matter whether a frames ae legal or not unless in Spain. Now these items are being debated less and less. :Sad: So long live the RP debate to cheer along winter days.:thumb:

NB: An RV dealer told me the other day that I could drive a 10 ton RV on my car licence, surely not!:roflmto:
You can if its got RP:thumb:
Geo

Ian A

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
Brighton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
OMG!! Reverse polarity and gas - flammable is it? Does it come in through the window or out of a leaking cylinder - this MHing is sooo dangerous!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back