Reverse polarity experiment (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Following on from a current (no pun intended) reversed polarity thread, and In the interests of safety (and my own niggling doubts) i have just undertaken a small experiment.

I intentionally reversed the incoming main cables to the RCCB main switch in my garage fuse box to ascertain if the devise would still work.
this is the only circuit i can safely and fully isolate in the house fusebox before starting the experiment.

I'm pleased to confirm it DOES trip when the test button is pressed......which simulates an earth fault.....and what i expected but wasnt sure of.

this may not work for all makes of RCD/RCCB so can only confirm it does work with a HAGAR 40a RCCB main switch but could well work with many other makes of breaker too.

so, in light of this, reversed polarity WONT compromise safety in the even of an earth fault

PLEASE NOTE....THIS WAS AN EXPERIMENT WITH ONE MAKE OF RCCB ONLY AND MAY NOT WORK WITH OTHER MAKES !
[

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Following on from a current (no pun intended) reversed polarity thread, and In the interests of safety (and my own niggling doubts)[HI] i have just undertaken a small experiment.[/HI]

I intentionally reversed the incoming main cables to the RCCB main switch in my garage fuse box to ascertain if the devise would still work.
this is the only circuit i can safely and fully isolate in the house fusebox before starting the experiment.

I'm pleased to confirm it DOES trip when the test button is pressed......which simulates an earth fault.....and what i expected but wasnt sure of.

this may not work for all makes of RCD/RCCB so can only confirm it does work with a HAGAR 40a RCCB main switch but could well work with many other makes of breaker too.

so, in light of this, reversed polarity WONT compromise safety in the even of an earth fault

PLEASE NOTE....THIS WAS AN EXPERIMENT WITH ONE MAKE OF RCCB ONLY AND MAY NOT WORK WITH OTHER MAKES !
[

You can get nicked for that.. hope no one saw you !!

Seriously though PJ, you did actually surprise me a little that you had any doubts..
At least you have now put all the gainsayers to rest and can step fully in to my camp with absolute confidence now :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can get nicked for that.. hope no one saw you !!

Seriously though PJ, you did actually surprise me a little that you had any doubts..
At least you have now put all the gainsayers to rest and can step fully in to my camp with absolute confidence now :thumb:

I couldnt think of any reason why it wouldnt work as its an imbalance beteween live and neutral which causes the trip but having never seen it in action backwards i had to try it myself.

what i should have done, in hind sight, was check the RV's trip at the same time as that is on permanent hookup from the garage supply. :Doh:
that would have confirmed two makes of RCD/RCCB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back