Reverse judder (1 Viewer)

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
Buy A Fiat Car ?.

Hi Simsy,
Err, Yes, I have two, A Ugly bug Multipla (2003) , A broken front coil spring, replaced at the side of the road by the AA man £40-00 plus a generous tip. is the only problem i have had. Panda (57) no trouble so far. The Multipla is a very versatile vehicle with seating for Six. (Four Grand Children).
Wall-E.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I am one of the above. To be frank it's not a problem to me and never has been. I have had the "fixes" and it's still not quite right but in my view still the best chassis that's why it keeps winning the chassis of the year award. Have you ever driven one? Just in case you think I am inexperienced I was a driver electrician in the army, since then I have driven for Tarmac and also buses so I speak from knowledge. Would I buy another Fiat? Yes.::bigsmile:

Ken .....I fully agree with you, it is a smashing motor to drive forward as I have always said, and a comfortable driving position I can not fault.....it is just a shame about the reverse, as mine has the judder.....

I have tried to complain over here in France..but the Fiat service dealer say's there is no problem, just take your foot off the clutch and let the engine do the rest...and increase the revs if going up a incline......it is to fast in reverse now,
And to take your foot off the clutch and let the engine do the rest
"WHAT WHEN GOING INTO A DRIVE",
"WHAT WHEN REVERSING INTO A PARKING BAY BETWEEN CARS",
"WHAT WHEN INTO A TIGHT SPOT",
"WHAT INCREASE THE REVS",
WHAT is this Italian MAD,........ 42 years of driving all different machines and vehicles with not a blip on the license, and a 30 year old Italian (just out of nappies) telling me how to drive...??????

But I must say what a lovely motor to drive forwards...............better than most cars.

Mel

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Unfortunately Fiat Ireland have not moved along as Fiat Uk seem to have. I took my 2009 2.3 130D Fiat based motorhome in to my dealer yesterday with the the dreaded judder and got it back today, surprise surprise they could find no fault so no fix. I brought a copy of Johno's post but they were not impressed as we are not in the UK. Where do I go from here, I'm not sure yet but any advice would be welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I wrote to Fiat customer service, ignored the dealer completely. All my contact after that was by letter and phone calls from Italy, and visits to my local (75 miles distant) Fiat dealer.

Best of luck

Bill

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well Bill I took your advice and rang Fiat Customer Service yesterday afternoon where I spoke to a very helpful lady who took all my details, gave me a case number and said someone from Fiat would be in touch in due course and sure enough this afternoon another very nice lady from Fiat in Italy rang to tell me she was contacting a Fiat dealer in my area (not the one I dealt with) and she would be in touch as soon as possible. So far so good. Fingers crossed.

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Fiat Judder

Taken a tip from you , Like most brits of a certain age I hate to complain and have been wringing my hands ..should I shouldn't I ? but have just emailed firm but polite letter to fiat via your link. Will keep posting progress.

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Progress

Taken a tip from you , Like most brits of a certain age I hate to complain and have been wringing my hands ..should I shouldn't I ? but have just emailed firm but polite letter to fiat via your link. Will keep posting progress.
Email link didnt get answered so I phoned And within 24 hours my 12 month old 2.3 is booked in at local dealer for full mods.. no hassle re prooving it at all. Also Have raised complaint re starter battery going flat.. they said to bring this up also with dealer at same time.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Do I judder

A few weeks ago after about 11 months ownership I noticed the dreaded reverse judder on several occaisions on my 2.3 new shape Ducato, QUOTE]

Hi all, having read through copious posts on the subject of the dreaded Fiat Judder just wondering if there is a definitive test for this fault or is the judder really that obvious when going in reverse.

My 12 month old Autotrail has the 3.0 ltr Fiat engine but have only had it a few weeks so haven’t covered that many miles yet. I intend to trial a few hills this weekend so am hoping that all is well with mine - fingers crossed.

and finally may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year .

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you've got judder on a 3 litre manual gearbox Fiat will insist there is no problem and there is no fix. From what I can gather many 3 litre owners complain of judder but Fiat say the problem is within normal operating limits whatever that means.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If you've got judder on a 3 litre manual gearbox Fiat will insist there is no problem and there is no fix. From what I can gather many 3 litre owners complain of judder but Fiat say the problem is within normal operating limits whatever that means.

This is quite correct, but if you want to test yours find a steep hill 1in6 for preference and try reversing up it. Another is to try reversing up a grass slope as if going on to a pitch.
Hope you find all is well.

Happy New Year

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010

Thanks for the very prompt replies .
So if there is a judder and Fiat says its normal then I assume I should still report it in case the box or clutch fails later on ? at least i will have some ' i told you so ' evidence - for what its worth.
I take it the judder is really obvious if I do have it ? is there a way to keep it to a minimum .

MR2

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5+years
Reversing judder

Hi Johno
I have an Autoquest 180 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2Hdi. It is 19 months old with 18.5k on the clock. So far I have had only one instance of judder but a month ago was contacted by the local Peugeot main agent for both engine management and gearbox upgrade which was duly completed in 2 days. I await a copy of the invoice sent to Peugeot as promised for inclusion with my warranty.
So far there has been no obvious change but have had little use-will comment further after a few Scotland trips . Service was good with little fuss and pleased you have had similar treatment.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well here is another two pence worth. I am on my second Fiat based MH and no problem with either re the you know what, but talking with service reception at my local Fiat service centre ventured to mention all the talk, gossip, scaremongering about the you know what.
Surprise immediate recognition that some do have a problem and do I think I have one (OK I have many problems) but not my MH. They then offered the info that if my vehicle had a problem they could have it in within the next two weeks to carry out the mods and would have required a days work and probably talked out of turn when they said they would be happy to carry out the work as Fiat rates were A Ok! for the job.
In relation to another thread regarding MB versus Fiat I have expressed my views about there attributes but one thing I am sure about is that in my opinion Fiat service is far superior to that of current MB.
Best Wishes to all for a Happy and Healthy New Year.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The Clangers

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Renfrewshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
New
Had a slight judder on my Peugeot Boxer, and after reading all the posts on forums thought that I had better report it. Took it to peugeot and told them that it was not too bad, but they said that they would test it and if necessary carry out work on it.

Got it back about a week or so later, gear linkage was stiff like an old tractor, had a terrible whine in reverse, still had slight judder in reverse, but now had a mounting wrenching judder in first gear.

Took it back to dealer about 4 weeks ago, and they are now waiting on someone from Peugeot to look at it, as they do not know what is wrong. He will not look at it until after New Year.

Wish I had never went near them as the judder was not too bad at all.

David

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When posts relate to judder it is important to draw a distinction between the engine types. Fiat insist that there is no problem with the 3 litre but clearly there is. When judder was reported on the 2.3 litre a similar claim was made by Fiat. Eventually they were worn down/shamed into introducing two fixes - partial comprising of new engine mounts and a tie bar and full comprising a lower reverse gear. Most of those that have reported judder have now been fixed with varying degrees of success.

There are far fewer 3 litre engined vehicles around so Fiat might not be under so much pressure to deal with the problem. However, if a 3 litre owner finds judder I would still report it because whose to say a fix might become available at a later date. There are some reports of very serious judder issues with this vehicle.

It is also important to emphasise that those 3 litre owners with Comfortmatic gearboxes have not experienced any problems to date.

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
Happy New Year funsters.
I have a Citroen relay van conversion. The van is 2 yrs old but the conversion is new ( WildAx), having done 38k miles.
I had dificulty reversing up my daughters drive, on a slope with pebbles on drive causing a resistance to the back wheels--got the judder!!! Went to my local Citreon dealer who were very helpfull but not hopefull of a succesfull outcome, anyway, Citroen said it had the wrong gearbox-- which they replaced along with the clutch and flywheel. I still think it has a a slight jugger which I have asked my dealer the register with Ciyroen, and hopefully it will not go any worse.

I have been to N Wales ( deep in the valley near Bala)for the New year so my wife and I spent our first night in out M/h---it was great, warm and cosy despite the -4 temp and snow ( in need of a tow out this morning). A steep learning curve but loved every minute. Can't wait for our next trip out.
Peejay

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
We are happy with ours. Its done 4,500 miles now with no problems what so ever.

Its is miles better than the old cab Fiat, and we have had less problems with it than our last M/H which was a 2007 Transit 2.2. 130BHP.

Richard...

hi
Have herd all year about this judder to date 5000 miles on, no problem i have the 3 lt model does this help

Bill:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back