Reverse gear on Fiat Ducato 2.8. 2006 (1 Viewer)

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Finding it increasingly difficult to select reverse gear on my 2006, Ducato. LIfting the detente seems to take me into no man's land and the gear lever is getting stuck so that I have to bang it to disengage it. Could something have got loose so I am going further than I should? No other gears seem affected. Even first is easy and smooth. Any thoughts gratefully received. Jerry

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
And where might they be????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
One end at the gearstick the other at the gearbox! Sorry never done it myself, apart from seeing cables after removing gearstick from my old van to access the heater matrix.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There is an adjuster on the cable at the gear stick end at least there is on a 2.2ltr. U need to remove the glove box and probably bolts securing the gate. Then its easy to do but a bit of a black art to get it just right - reverse works then 5/6 becomes the problem.
While its all visible a but of lub might also help.
Hth

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've got the 2006 2.8JTD. It's and easy enough job to lube them. Pop the motorhome up onto the levelling ramps under the front wheels. Handbrake on and chock the rear for safety.

Slide yourself in under the vehicle from under the drive door and you'll see the 2 cables coming from the dash and running down to the top of the gearbox (take a torch, rag and some lube spray with you and don't forget some safety goggles too if you have them).

There are 2 grommets that do slide away (they had on my friends 2005 Ducato). Check these are in place. They can easily be slid out and spray up the "hole" to lube the top parts of the cables. Then slide the grommets back in place.

Next, take a look at the gearbox end of the cables and ensure there is no slack, lose bolts, wobbly bits etc. Give it all a good lube and hopefully it'll be nothing more disastrous or mechanical.

As I mention, it cured my friends 2005 model and it had the same symptoms.

Good luck and remember safety at all time.

Piccy is the gearbox linkage.
http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/322078-ducato-2-8jtd-motorhome-2004-5-gearbox-linkage.html

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Really helpful PP Bear. I've liberally sprayed the gearbox end and discovered that one of the tiny bellows has come off and needs replacing but no mess inside. I'll have a look at the other side now. The liberal dosing of WD40 does seem to have made a difference.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Underneath your windscreen, on the passenger side, there is a void into which water drains - you can easily see it from the outside. At the bottom of this void there is a rubber bung which is connected to a tube of about 1" in diameter which disappears down inside your engine bay.

Problem is this tube is often positioned so it discharges the water over the gearbox linkage! Only way to see is to crawl under the van and look up the back of the gearbox. You can see it on the left on the picture of the linkage above. This may have been the cause of your problem - worth checking. On my van the tube is how gently held to one side with a cable tie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back