Reverse camera / monitor (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I'm having problems with my reversing camera / monitor set up. All worked great 'till we parked up in one spot for 2 months in Spain (Bonterra Park).
When it came time to move the system wouldn't work.
I'd switch the monitor on, the screen goes blue-ish, but no picture.
I'd previously noticed that the camera, bullet shaped located low down in the rear garage wall, had a bit of 'condensation' in it, and the picture on the monitor would take a little time to clear, but it always worked.
I've now removed the camera and tested the voltage on the power feed to it (at the 1st joint downstream from the camera, approx 2 foot away). And at this point I'm getting approx 5 volts when I switch the monitor on.
I'm also getting continuity of circuit between the -ve of the power feed and the -ve of the video feed.
I've been given a spare camera but it has no plugs on it just a red wire with a screened wire inserted that I'm assuming +ve & -ve power wires, and yellow wire with a screened wire inserted which I think will be the video wire.
I think there'll be a trip to Maplin coming up to source the missing plugs.

Am I missing anything else, and what do the experts think ?

regards

Allen

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
''I've now removed the camera and tested the voltage on the power feed to it (at the 1st joint downstream from the camera, approx 2 foot away). And at this point I'm getting approx 5 volts when I switch the monitor on.''

Anybody know if this is the voltage I should be reading at this point ?

Allen

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
just shows you shouldn't stay in one place for 2 months ! :ROFLMAO:

motorhomes have wheels ...roll 'em ; 2 days is enough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
just shows you shouldn't stay in one place for 2 months ! :ROFLMAO:

motorhomes have wheels ...roll 'em ; 2 days is enough

yeh yeh.....but can you answer the question ?

Allen

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Does your system have a control box in it somewhere. When mine stopped working I found that one of the leads into the control box had come adrift.

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
walburga

If I get a blue screen on my visor/monitor it means I am connected to input 2 of the monitor and pushing the selection button gets me back to status quo..... answer probably not that simple though

tonybrightspark

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
can't answer the question because you don't say what system you have !

my system certainly works on 12v however , it's the only DC voltage available in the motorhome
what does it say on the back of the screen , voltages are usually marked there

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Went to Maplins (in Preston) with duff camera, and spare one with no plugs on. Explained to very interested youngster the probs I'm having with system. He says we'll test the (duff) camera 1st.
He pulls a multi-plug connector thing fom the shelves, dials in 5 volts (that was the voltage I measured on the power cable going into the camera, connects it to the camera, then plugs the video cable into a 42 inch wall mounted tv, does a bit of channel hopping.....and the camera is working !!!!!
So the 5 volts I measured is ok, as is the camera, but the wiring to the monitor, or the monitor is not !
Now, is there some sort of switch / interface box were the video cables from the monitor and the camera meet ?
If there is it will no doubt be hidden under the dash, in an un-gettable (for me) place.
The monitor is on the dash on my RHD 2004 fiat 2.8 Hymer, more or less above the fuse box and vent grille on the right, above steering wheel.

Allen

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
two usual places on the fiat...one is under the flap that flicks up for your map or whatever in the centre of the dash, the other is in the space above the glovebox (whioch is where the interface box for my reversing camera is, undo the 6 screws that hold it on and its easy to get at since the whole glove box comes away (2004/5 model of Fiat Ducato).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best to disconect the camera and monitor fit a small telly like the continental lorry drivers then you can watch telly while driving along. much more use. try not to reverse then you wont need the camera. hee hee.cheers alan.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
I put it off over the w/e due to it being too hot and the boddies was calling from the garden !

But, feely guilty, I set too this morning.
Although the lad in maplins said 5 volts was driving the camera I wasn't happy, especially as I found all the wiring & connectors, with no evidence of an interface / switch box just under the right hand fuse box.
I crawled under the van to see if anything was loose / broken off, btu nothing apparent.
I tested again the power wire at the joint i/s the garage, this time only 3 volts, then again 10 mins later, < 1 volt !
I checked all the connections that I found under the fuse box, these looked ok, soldered joints, all good earths.
Then I got my trusty fully charged up spare battery, cut the power plug off the power wire at the joint i/s the garage, and making sure I knew (and remembered) which was +ve & -ve wired the plug to the battery.
Jesus C, it works! I'm an auto electrician! The camera, the monitor, the video wire are all ok. I'll just have to re-new the power wire.
May-be I'll find an ignition live in the garage somewhere. If not I'll have to crawl under the van again.....

regards

Allen

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Jesus C, it works! I'm an auto electrician! The camera, the monitor, the video wire are all ok. I'll just have to re-new the power wire.
May-be I'll find an ignition live in the garage somewhere. If not I'll have to crawl under the van again.....

regards

Allen

I ran the drivers side of the van up on ramps so that I would have more room to pull out the duff power wire when I came across a bunch of rolled-up & taped-up wire. In the middle of this was, yes you guess correctly, and I should've spotted it 1st time under the van, a corroded joint on the +ve wire to the camera.
This was quickly repaired, but putting the dashboard back together took a bit longer.
Camera works as it did before.

regards to all (incl the pi2s takers)

Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back