Returning MH to Manufacturer (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The important thing is, does it get sorted PDQ to your satisfaction? If it does, shut up unless asked. If not, then by all means shout about it.

IMHO.

Just to be clear

Who are you telling to shut up?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Broken Link Removed

Is clause seven normal or enforceable, we were thinking of buying a Kontiki next year but that would mean no warranty on the body as the first trip abroad will be longer than 90 days

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are those on this forum who seem to pick on problems with other makes of van, especially Swift ones - but who - after quite accidentally (literally) finding damp in one corner of the rear wall/floor of his van - does not now tell people not to buy that make, or criticise them.

It was 8 years old at the time and since you know about it 24000 other people know about it. I made a point of publicising this because other Burstner owners may have the problem, one had. I have never said "don't buy" anything, I just point people at data. You can be sure, I will not shut up. If we all "shut up" then nothing improves.

PS: What you are missing Sedge is that people come on here ignorant of the facts. A few years ago FIAT introduced Juddergate. FIAT were telling owners the gearboxes self destructed because of their bad driving and charged then thousands for repairs. Eventually the internet beat FIAT who had to fit a different reverse gear, clutch and engine mounts. People need knowledge and support to make sure these manufactures do not take liberties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed

Is clause seven normal or enforceable, we were thinking of buying a Kontiki next year but that would mean no warranty on the body as the first trip abroad will be longer than 90 days
I'd suggest contacting Swift prior to purchase and advising them of your plans. If they agree to your plan - to secure a sale then you're covered.

Regards
Robert

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is clause seven normal or enforceable

Never mind "is it enforceable" ask "why is this clause there ?"

Initial thought, it can't stand continuous hot climate. Is this the new plastic construction ? We all know from plastic window frames and gutters, the expansion in hot weather is considerable, is that the problem ?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Never mind "is it enforceable" ask "why is this clause there ?"

Initial thought, it can't stand continuous hot climate. Is this the new plastic construction ? We all know from plastic window frames and gutters, the expansion in hot weather is considerable, is that the problem ?

"We were thinking of " decision has been made, the island bed looked good but is 6'1" long so no good to me. Off to look at a Burstner on Sunday then a Dethleffs when I find the model we want .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Off to look at a Burstner on Sunday

Ours ( other makes are available ) with it's over cab bed gives you a bed the width of the vehicle and takes up no living area but these seem out of fashion these days, people preferring to lose living area or buy a vehicle 2m longer for a fixed rear bed they occupy 33% of their lives.

You pays your money...................

Oh, and be aware Burstner construction methods of 11 years ago can lead to water ingress.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They can't all be bad, there is a KonTiki near me, must be over 20 years old and still going strong
Allan

They certainly aren't all bad, quality control seems to be the issue, it appears to me that the factory nominate the supplying dealer to be their quality control department. "the dealer fixed this", "the dealer fixed that". And 20 years ago costs were quite different so more labour and better quality build, today style is everything to shift them, so lighter stylish parts instead of solid timber.

The Hymers of 10/20 years are much sort after because they were built to last. Though even Hymers age.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I think as a generalisation that (A) if its mechanical (B) electrical and (C) got holes in it. They all at some time or another will either breakdown, totally fail and finally leak. Not necessarily in that order.

Not wishing to praise or castigate any manufacturer but unless we have the complete breakdown of the number of units sold, and the number of reported faults we will never really know who are the poor or who are the best manufacturers out there.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As any regular on here knows I have been a big knocker of Swift products..
But reading some of the posts I do think they are now at least trying to sort out their abysmal after sale customer service

As you say Brian, it would be great if the faults were not there in the first place but I am starting to believe that whilst being extremely slow to react, they do now seem to have finally taken on board the not inconsiderable issues and are making a decent effort.

I will sit back and watch with interest and hope they have indeed sorted out a lot of the issues involved with Swift ownership.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just back from the dealer who told me not to expect to be contacted by Swift for another couple of weeks (its been a week now since the dealer had the van back), which is not a major problem.

Apparently there has been an issue with a large number of Bessacarr windows leaking. Apparently a problem with the window seal. Other than going to the Essex Gourmet meet in a couple of weeks, we don't plan to use the van until next April, so they've plenty of time to do the work.

Overall we've been very pleased with the van, especially since we decided to turn the U Shape lounge into a fixed bed, with the addition of a quality mattress. Just like sleeping at home. We had been considering trading the van in and upgrading to a model with a fixed rear bed. But having seen the quality of some of the 'superior' brands, even at £150k the actual build quality was no better (or in some cases worse) than our Bessie - plus we've got a full sized shower cubicle which none of the others seemed to have.

Guess we just need to be patient now and let Swift do their stuff

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they do now seem to have finally taken on board the not inconsiderable issues and are making a decent effort..

That's really good news for the hundreds ( thousands ? ) of jobs that rely on the brand and of course blocking imports, even if they are Burstner.

You witnessed the UK motorcycle industry go down the tubes due to poor management, it would be terrible to see a repeat here.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

I have a German van (hobby) who have a good name in terms of build quality ( I did a lot of research before buying) and I have had some build issues including a leak in the bathroom, electric bed at front playing up, cracked shower tray and the outer plastic windows being replaced under manufacture recall (bowing due to heat) luckily I have a good dealer who has/is dealing with all the issues promptly and it's only just 12 months old
Had a recent hab check and no damp so I think it's fair to say all manufactures have various problems, however a number of people don't like to admit it as they feel it reflects on there decision to purchase X van
The main thing is the response of your dealer to such problems, good luck in getting it resolved

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Regarding the water ingress with motorhomes fitted with Polyplastic windows, I can confirm that that is the case. The windows have a dodgy seal fitted and if you can arrange with your supplying dealer to let you have them replaced you will have the updated seal fitted. Not many owners are aware that there is a problem and blame something else. No doubt some dealers will deny any knowledge of the problem. Miriad are the importers of the windows and are very good to deal with. In my case I was asked to go to the nearest dealer to my home and they arranged for 2 fitters to meet me who then took every window seal out and replaced them with a redesigned seal. After that the windows never leaked. The fitters advised me to use the silicon that you use for the toilet slide as it stops the rubber from going brittle.
I would imagine that all the new builds will have the new seals fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back