Retrofitting Thule Omnistep to PVC (Expedition 66) (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Having recently purchased our Auto-trail Expedition 66, I'm adding a few accessories to bring up the basic spec a bit. I've already fitted a Sony touch screen DAB stereo with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Next, I'm fitting a Thule slide-out step. The fitting itself should be easy enough, but I can't decide whether to connect up to the vehicle battery or leisure battery. Cable routing to either battery is not obvious, with no easy route to keep the cables hidden. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of using neither battery, and powering the step from a small standalone 12v VRLA rechargable battery, for which there is space close to the step switch position negating the need for long messy cable runs.

I've already got a suitable VRLA battery and matching intelligent charger so there's no cost implication, and only around 1 kg of weight.

Again, anyone see a problem with using a standalone battery?

Thanks in anticipation.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No problem unless you want auto retract when the engine starts - which is very useful. Convention is to use the leisure battery with auto-retract triggered by D+.

OP
OP
B
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Hi Tony.
Thanks. I've just bench tested the step using the standalone battery and it operates fine so I think that will be the plan.

I'm not planning on having auto retract, but I've brought a 12v mini buzzer which I'm going to connect between the step sense wire and an ignition-switched live. This should be easier to route than the main power cables as only a single wire, and as it's carrying practically no current, can be small X-section.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Make sure the switch is close at hand for the driver. I have just removed the buzzer and made our step auto retract because it's a real 'faff' when you are ready to move off only to be told by the buzzer that you have left the step out!

OP
OP
B
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Langtoftlad - You're right - it is a bit of an indulgence on what is after all a budget van, but I bust my Achilles tendon two years ago and still not fully recovered despite, surgical boots, surgery and physio, so the convenience of having a step "on tap" will make embarking and disembarking more convenient. And there is something about electric steps that makes me think - "Thunderbirds are Go"!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi Tony.
Thanks. I've just bench tested the step using the standalone battery and it operates fine so I think that will be the plan.

I'm not planning on having auto retract, but I've brought a 12v mini buzzer which I'm going to connect between the step sense wire and an ignition-switched live. This should be easier to route than the main power cables as only a single wire, and as it's carrying practically no current, can be small X-section.
Everything needed to auto-retract can be installed near the step. That one small wire could carry the D+ signal which is all that's needed for auto-retract.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would just follow the instructions and wire it to the vehicle battery so that it retracts when the ignition is on, you will need an ignition sensing relay. That’s what I did 10 years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back