Retro fitting rear seat belts advice please (1 Viewer)

Hanski

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
Frome Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. We've just bought a Niesmann Bischoff Arto
It's great but we want to fit 2 rear facing seat belts to the dinette seats.
It already has a 3 point one on the outside and lap belt on inside forward facing seats.
We want the same on the rear facing seats.
Does anyone have experience of this ?
I have a garage looking into it and they say they can do it but they are concerned about liability.
Many thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I doubt if you will find anybody that keen to do it as there won't be the required structural fixings that would be there if it had been a factory option, and I doubt your insurance would be happy either.

Martin

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
If there are seats there are added structural fittings. Seat belts can be secured to these. But as rightly stated - liability issues are a worry for fitters, but can be checked by VOSA. Whether they or anybody else would certify them is another issue.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Don't know what happened there?

I'm intrigued as to where extra support would not be used in a motorhome?

Boringfrog , just read your included article.
My answer related to added structure to secure seats. I appreciate that some self or other builds have wooden seats - but these would not have the added structure.
Common sense then prevails, metal framed seats have added structure, if not, can easily be added and seat belts secured appropriately.
As your article states it's then a legal issue.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If there are seats there are added structural fittings. Seat belts can be secured to these. But as rightly stated - liability issues are a worry for fitters, but can be checked by VOSA. Whether they or anybody else would certify them is another issue.
Certainly not true with our lounge seating, the forward facing portion would need a steel frame behind and it doesn't have one.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't know what happened there?

I'm intrigued as to where extra support would not be used in a motorhome?
Why would there be steel support all the way down to pick up the chassis if the seating was just in a lounge area for leisure use, it would be added expense, added weight and quite unnecessary.

Martin

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Why would there be steel support all the way down to pick up the chassis if the seating was just in a lounge area for leisure use, it would be added expense, added weight and quite unnecessary.

Martin
You have answered your own question.

I don't think that there are people here that would fit seatbelts to a wooden box would they? You seem to have overlooked " added structural " in my post.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I'll explain plainly. If the seats in question has a metal frame with added support for anchor bolts ( not just secured to floor ply ) then that would be a secure point for seat belts.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You have answered your own question.

I don't think that there are people here that would fit seatbelts to a wooden box would they? You seem to have overlooked " added structural " in my post.

I was actually answere your question "where added support would not be used in a motorhome" but as long as it understood that not all seats have the structural element required for seat belts that is fine.

Martin

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I was actually answere your question "where added support would not be used in a motorhome" but as long as it understood that not all seats have the structural element required for seat belts that is fine.

Martin
Appreciate your answer (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you need rear seatbelts buy a vehicle that has them already fitted by the manufacturer.

I don't care what dodges or work arounds or "grey areas" people suggest trying to retrofit them is a terrible idea.

OP
OP
H

Hanski

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
Frome Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for advice everyone
The van is a 2003 model.
The extra seat belts would be to give us more travelling options.
There's no way we will proceed unless 100% safe and checked by mot/vosa for safety. In fact now, we are wondering if it really is worth the hassle as there is already 4 seat belts.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How many people need belted seats/how many do you need, my understanding is that adults would be legal not belted certainly in 2003 van.

Martin

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
If you google a company called "sportscraft" they supply certified seating and seating boxes with seatbelts, not cheap but good quality.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back