Retro-fitting an oven /grill to a coachbuilt (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
I have been looking for my next van, and after being overwhelmed by the number of models and manufacturers, I now know what layouts would suit. I have seen several which fit the bill but are lacking one (for me) essential - a grill. An oven would be nice, but a grill would be sufficient.
Some seem to have huge fridges, but minimal cooking facilities.

Assuming a suitable space is available, how easy is it to retro-fit a grill / oven? any guidelines as to the cost? I had a Smev gas grill in my last van (2002 vintage), which was fine. I see that many very recent models use pretty much the same appliance.
Obviously, I'd have it professionally fitted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Would a microwave and grill combined be a solution?as you may be able to fit in an existing cupboard and you only need an electric socket.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A Smev grill is around £170 to buy and an oven and grill is close to £400.
I fitted my own but a dealer would not be cheap due to their hourly rate and it would take a few hours to fit. I would suggest that you shop around and try to get a fixed price from someone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
A Smev grill is around £170 to buy and an oven and grill is close to £400.
I fitted my own but a dealer would not be cheap due to their hourly rate and it would take a few hours to fit. I would suggest that you shop around and try to get a fixed price from someone.
I had assumed that a gas appliance would need to be fitted by a qualified person, the same a in a house? Or could I fit it myself and just get them to do the gas connection?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said around £400 for an oven & grill around £300 to fit. Fairly easy DIY job if you are confident.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had assumed that a gas appliance would need to be fitted by a qualified person, the same a in a house? Or could I fit it myself and just get them to do the gas connection?
Yes you can do if yourself no requirement for a gas fitter or testing unless the vehicle is for hire.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It depends on how much work is involved in removing a cupboard or in the case of fitting a small oven part of a cupboard. An opening to fit the oven would have to be formed and the rest made good with a matching door. It may be easier to fit a free standing oven as used in some UK made vans. You would pay more for the oven but a lot less in labour costs.

Deleted User
The biggest problem with something like a Thetford Duplex oven and grill is the amount of space needed to fit it in. The fitting instructions show how much space you need below and above the oven to enable sufficient air flow as well as an air gap on each side of the oven. This means you need quite a bit of space and much bigger than the actual oven.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have an oven (no grill) in very nice condition.:) Very cheap for a Funster.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We had an oven/grill retro-fitted to our previous van by a local mobile caravan/motorhome guy.We really liked it even though we lost some wardrobe space,only downside was we could only get a 20 ltr Smeg and would have preferd 30ltr.
It was just about big enough for the 2 of us and I could cook a small roast,but also heated the van on cold nights.
We wouldn't be without an oven but then again I do like to cook in and Sue likes my cooking.(So she says)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think most European vans come with gas hobs and either a small grill/ oven or nothing. We specified no oven or grill in our new van even though all our other vans had full size cookers. We don’t miss it.
If you look at UK built vans, i am sure most come with proper sized cookers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you find a van you really like but without an oven, ask the dealer if they will fit one as part of the deal ..

it's not a big job, so they may be more than accommodating to secure a sale.

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I thought retro-fittng a grill would be a bigger job than people are suggesting: the grill in my Chausson was externally vented with a thermocouple-controlled fan that kicked in when it got hot, and ran until cooled. So, it implies breaching the body and electrical as well as gas connection. It seems that's not necessary with all grills.
Thinking back over the last 12 years, I suppose that almost everything I have cooked in the grill could have been dry-fried or done in the skillet that dabhand suggested.
Except toast... I'd miss my toast...
So, I will stop rejecting vans out of hand for lack of a grill and look again.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I fitted the 30 litre smeg in our last van it has a grill in it and it was just a gas supply and two wires. No vents as its spaced all round with an air vent i does have to fit in a sealed box but if fitting into an existing cupboard or wardrobe two side possibly three will be existing hardest part would be to shorten a door or infill if the space was too large

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks, gus-lopez! It seems I can make toast in any number of ways, then.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I thought retro-fittng a grill would be a bigger job than people are suggesting: the grill in my Chausson was externally vented with a thermocouple-controlled fan that kicked in when it got hot, and ran until cooled. So, it implies breaching the body and electrical as well as gas connection. It seems that's not necessary with all grills.
Thinking back over the last 12 years, I suppose that almost everything I have cooked in the grill could have been dry-fried or done in the skillet that dabhand suggested.
Except toast... I'd miss my toast...
So, I will stop rejecting vans out of hand for lack of a grill and look again.
A skillet is good for making toast and toasted sandwiches, even use one at home for toasted sandwiches.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We use a 30 litre mini oven with grill which lives in the garage until we need it. It is electric, though, so need to be on hook up to use it, so maybe no good for you as a solution.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back