Retro fit a macerator wc and black waste (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Anyone done this to replace a standard Thetford cassette?
Is it possible?
Is it worth it?

Solution
If anyone is looking for a tank I found this company with a MASSIVE range of types and sizes of tanks.

90-100 litre tanks seem to be in the £110 price range and lead time of 2-3 weeks.

That is CAK Tanks online shop.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Could you pump the grey into the black it would need to be a macerator type pump a water pump would probably gum up with grey waste.
You can and indeed it was an option on our van, they use a diaphragm pump, I took some convincing that it was an option that I needed but I bowed to the experience of others with this. We use "Ammovit" in the black tank to treat the waste so it leaves everything pretty clean anyway and all pipework is flushed with grey by dumping that second. The main use for the pump is to extend the capacity of the grey tank as we have 250l each black and grey the grey obviously fills first but you can pump over and make a fair chunk of space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
You can and indeed it was an option on our van, they use a diaphragm pump, I took some convincing that it was an option that I needed but I bowed to the experience of others with this. We use "Ammovit" in the black tank to treat the waste so it leaves everything pretty clean anyway and all pipework is flushed with grey by dumping that second. The main use for the pump is to extend the capacity of the grey tank as we have 250l each black and grey the grey obviously fills first but you can pump over and make a fair chunk of space.
I think that makes it more 'cost effective' as assuming it is just a water pump they are much cheaper - out of interest what sort of flow capacity does yours have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think that makes it more 'cost effective' as assuming it is just a water pump they are much cheaper - out of interest what sort of flow capacity does yours have?
I am not sure of the make and the van is in the shed so can't check at the moment but it looks a bit like <Broken link removed> says 19l/min but again as it might not be ours and there are also smaller ones, I would have to check but that or less would be fine just for shifting from one tank to another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I am not sure of the make and the van is in the shed so can't check at the moment but it looks a bit like <Broken link removed> says 19l/min but again as it might not be ours and there are also smaller ones, I would have to check but that or less would be fine just for shifting from one tank to another.
Many thanks. As I don't have a Morelo would probably make do with something like this one 😉

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many thanks. As I don't have a Morelo would probably make do with something like this one 😉

What about this one.
Amazon product ASIN B00KWVMMEE

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Martin, where do you get your Ammovit from please as I am thinking of trying it in our cassette? Have searched Amazon and Ebay and it is no longer on either of them.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin, where do you get your Ammovit from please as I am thinking of trying it in our cassette? Have searched Amazon and Ebay and it is no longer on either of them.
I got it from Germany via Amazon, I don't know how long you have been trying for but the listings were sporadic when I managed to get ours.

The only people I can see listing it to ship to the UK are https://www.naturalshop-haentsch.de/j/shop/info/m/?productId=mf07e6aeeb7647135 and it will cost more to ship than the goods are.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Any opinions on mounting the black tank externally rather than using the double floor storage?
Is no heating/insulation an issue for the black tank?
Its an Al-Ko chassis so no drilling I suppose?
There are existing holes and/or could come through the floor into the storage area and put a spreader plate to carry the load?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
If you do mount it underslung I would put it in an insulated enclosure that is heated by your heating system.
Its an Alde wet system - difficult or not? All other compartments are already heated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Would make it more difficult it would probably be enough just to re-route some existing pipework through the enclosure.

I have a better idea buy a Morelo or Concorde. :giggle:
😭. Getting a bad head now, wish I hadn't thought of this change.

Dare not mention a change, physical violence would follow 😱 and we are very happy with what we have 😇.

Trip back to Caravan Salon may be called for, what excuse can I use 🤔

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
😭. Getting a bad head now, wish I hadn't thought of this change.

Dare not mention a change, physical violence would follow 😱 and we are very happy with what we have 😇.

Trip back to Caravan Salon may be called for, what excuse can I use 🤔
You could be lucky, last time we went to Caravan Salon we didn't buy a new van. That was a first for us. :LOL:

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Any opinions on mounting the black tank externally rather than using the double floor storage?
Is no heating/insulation an issue for the black tank?
Its an Al-Ko chassis so no drilling I suppose?
There are existing holes and/or could come through the floor into the storage area and put a spreader plate to carry the load?
Mine is under slung ie not in the double floor. It is insulated and has a heater which is automatic Never had a problem with it freezing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Mine is under slung ie not in the double floor. It is insulated and has a heater which is automatic Never had a problem with it freezing.
Cheers

What is used to enclose the tank and insulate it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Imagine what 'er indoors will say when you tell her to go and have dump in the bushes because the black tank is full & frozen. :LOL:
At least it would be macerated mush and not frozen sausages 😳

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The tank is just the usual plastic but it has some kind of furry insulation around it. I imagine the freezing point of macerated poo would be quite a bit less than 0 degrees. I have a switch on my panel to either turn the heaters (for all the tanks) on or to auto so they come on if needed. Grey and fresh are both in the double floor.

unless I was in the alps I wouldn’t bother with the heater The discharge for emptying the black is a 3 inch diameter outlet at the bottom middle of the tank so I either drive over or fasten a 3 inch hose with bayonet fitting and pop that down the emptying point.

UK can be a bit of a pain to find drive over emptying so I keep my C and CC membership as for a few quid you can turn up at their sites and empty.

very important that you get a sensor that works in terms of telling you how full the tank is. Stuff coming out of an overflow pipe won’t make you popular

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
The tank is just the usual plastic but it has some kind of furry insulation around it. I imagine the freezing point of macerated poo would be quite a bit less than 0 degrees. I have a switch on my panel to either turn the heaters (for all the tanks) on or to auto so they come on if needed. Grey and fresh are both in the double floor.

unless I was in the alps I wouldn’t bother with the heater The discharge for emptying the black is a 3 inch diameter outlet at the bottom middle of the tank so I either drive over or fasten a 3 inch hose with bayonet fitting and pop that down the emptying point.

UK can be a bit of a pain to find drive over emptying so I keep my C and CC membership as for a few quid you can turn up at their sites and empty.

very important that you get a sensor that works in terms of telling you how full the tank is. Stuff coming out of an overflow pipe won’t make you popular
I have looked at the common waste sensors. Water tanks seem to use an internal sensor and show 1/4, 1/2, full etc. But the black waste seem to be full only via stud probes through the wall? I saw a Canadian one that used a self adhesive external strip and a percentage guage but was about $300!

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I can’t see why you would want to heat it. Whenever you lift the lid on ant septic tank, biodigester, or similar they are always very warm.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have looked at the common waste sensors. Water tanks seem to use an internal sensor and show 1/4, 1/2, full etc. But the black waste seem to be full only via stud probes through the wall? I saw a Canadian one that used a self adhesive external strip and a percentage guage but was about $300!
Sensors - very frustrating. Fresh water almost always correct, grey can be iffy, black can be a nightmare. I am on my third black tank vehicle...

First had studs - on,y takes a bit of crap or paper to stick in the stud and the reading was wrong

Second had a float - useless

This ine has a sonar type to measure how full. Pretty useless so I have bought and have just had fitted a Sea level system (as used in yachts and some US RVs which is what you have noted ie external to the tank - covered in mastic on the black tank to prevent it from damage. Had to get it shipped from Canada and I hope will be as good as promised. Won’t know till I try it in the coming weeks.

Up to now our most reliiable measure has always been ‘person days’. We need to start thinking about emptying at 14 person days ie two of us in the van for 7 days and don’t push past 20 person days for sure. That is without being careful or worrying how often you flush.

if we really want to stretch it out then we have a spray of sweet smelling disinfectant and just dry flush when having a wee rather than sending a pint of water unnecessarily down with it.
the loo has different buttons, dry flush, normal flush ie water then gone, water fill only You can also haveit set so there is always water in the bowl like you would see at home.
thats a lot of wee info!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
That was the one I looked at. You presumably had to fit their head end as well?

This ine has a sonar type to measure how full. Pretty useless so I have bought and have just had fitted a Sea level system (as used in yachts and some US RVs which is what you have noted ie external to the tank - covered in mastic on the black tank to prevent it from damage.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
i bought the full set fresh, grey, black and lpg. You can just buy less I believe. I have the contact details and pricing.

Delivered with 4 strips which you cut to the required length and stick on each tank. Head unit has one wire to each sensor and needs power.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
i bought the full set fresh, grey, black and lpg. You can just buy less I believe. I have the contact details and pricing.

Delivered with 4 strips which you cut to the required length and stick on each tank. Head unit has one wire to each sensor and needs power.
If you could pm me the costs please. I emailed the Canadian office asking if they had a UK distributor yesterday but no response yet.

I don't think I can access the fresh and grey tanks to fit the sensors as the only access are small floor panels to get to the inspection hatches?

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
From their website...

Precision accuracy – The SeeLeveL II ™ RV tank monitor provides percentage full, accurate tank measurement readouts. These readouts are accurate within 3/8 of an inch.

Simple to install – Two wires connect to your existing system wires and function on a common bus system. Accessible tanks are easy to retrofit.

Reliable external sensors – Our trouble-free senders adhere externally to the holding tanks eliminating sewage build-up on the sensors.

Customize to fit most tanks – The senders are designed to be easily shortened or two can be combined to accommodate almost any holding tank shape or size. Note: Will work on most plastic or poly holding tanks that contain any water-soluble products. Will not work on metal tanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back