Rally Chat Retro Festival Newark / Newbury (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think they are probably not sufficiently insured and stand to lose a lot of money. Clearly they are skewing what the real expert advice is.

I think the approach is wrong. It would leave me asking for my money back. It's best to be honest. If they don't have the money because they have spent it then they should say so.

We can't pay everyone back just yet, However, If you really need your ticket money back, please contact us and we will do our best. However, we really hope that you'll want to see this great event survive and you can help, by accepting our offer of free entry at our next event, with some lovely bonuses for your support. etc etc

Stay safe through this crisis and we'll see you at the next retrofest Blah Blah....

I've written that in one breath, but with an hour honing this message before sending, I bet they would have very few refund requests.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yeah I got this one. Pretty disgraceful really as I interpret it they are panicking as they’ve spent or committed our money, paid early in good faith. I’ll be chasing them but I’d bet that when push comes to shove, whatever financial vehicle they’ve set up to organise the event will go bust taking our money with it.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I feel sorry for them like all the other people in hospitality/entertainment/holidays but I think it's a lot better to be straight with people.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’ve replied with a few home truths and requested a refund. We shall see......

As I and I presume others that have booked and paid via PayPal and most accounts are credit card linked.

If there is a government directive no gathering I’m guessing you could get a refund through pp/cc.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I ran as lead marshal on this rally for many years and somewhat surprised a the tone this thread has taken.

A few points to consider - not necessarily in any special order.

1. This is a June show. April shows are just being cancelled or postponed according to Government recommendations

2. Covid 19 is moving at a rapid rate and we have no idea what rules will be enforced today - tomorrow - next week etc.

3. The statement Jim has copied was issued a week ago based on current government guidelines. Who knew that schools would close for the foreseeable future 2 days ago - most pundits were saying close at Easter for three weeks then back to normal.

4. Insurance - wonderful idea - everyone in business carries risk insurance for this type of show - be silly not to, Like all things there is a little clause in the small print that excludes act of God - Covid 19 is classified as an act of God.

5. The rules on cancellation have always been the same and were printed on the online form we used to issue that the entry fees were non refundable except in the event of the show being cancelled

6. Any statement has to be within government and legal guidelines.

So may I suggest you give it a chance for a new statement to be prepared before you crucify the organisers

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bill that email came through late on the 17th and I posted it the next day, so hours old, rather than a week.

This is a great event and it absolutely must survive, we'll give them all the support we can. However They need someone with a knowledge of PR as those emails are doing them no good at all.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Is there any other similar event still on? I've nothing against the organisers whatsoever. It's fantasy that this will happen.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A PR Masterclass

We are so sorry to announce this, but Glastonbury 2020 will have to be cancelled, and this will be an enforced fallow year for the Festival.

Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty – this is now our only viable option.

We very much hope that the situation in the UK will have improved enormously by the end of June. But even if it has, we are no longer able to spend the next three months with thousands of crew here on the farm, helping us with the enormous job of building the infrastructure and attractions needed to welcome more than 200,000 people to a temporary city in these fields.

We would like to send our sincere apologies to the 135,000 people who have already paid a deposit for a Glastonbury 2020 ticket. The balance payments on those tickets were due at the beginning of April and we wanted to make a firm decision before then.

We understand that it is not always easy to secure a Glastonbury ticket, which is why we would like to offer all those people the chance to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021. Those who would prefer a refund of that £50 will be able to contact See Tickets in the coming days in order to secure that. This option will remain available until September this year. For those who are happy to roll their deposit over, that will happen automatically. Further information – including details on rolling over coach packages, official accommodation bookings and local Sunday tickets – will be added to our website in the coming days.

The cancellation of this year’s Festival will no doubt come as a terrible blow to our incredible crew and volunteers who work so hard to make this event happen. There will also inevitably be severe financial implications as a result of this cancellation – not just for us, but also the Festival’s charity partners, suppliers, traders, local landowners and our community.

We were so looking forward to welcoming you all for our 50th anniversary with a line-up full of fantastic artists and performers that we were incredibly proud to have booked. Again, we’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.

Michael & Emily

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Hi Bill that email came through late on the 17th and I posted it the next day, so hours old, rather than a week.

This is a great event and it absolutely must survive, we'll give them all the support we can. However They need someone with a knowledge of PR as those emails are doing them no good at all.

Totally agree with that comment. The statement was on their website a lot earlier.

Reactions: Jim

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
If you go to the Newark booking thread there is a link to the latest statement. That covers all the options and plans

Aug 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey740
Exp
3years
What do you make of this email received last night. No mention of money being returned. And flying in the face of government advice. Strange

To all Retro Festival supporters​
The ongoing concerns regarding Covid-19 and Coronavirus are, correctly, in everyone’s minds at present. With this in mind, we have decided to explain our current approach and the consideration given to it.​
Since the early stages of the progression of the virus within the UK, we have been in regular contact with appropriate expert bodies and sought out all current professional advice to determine an appropriate, safe and considered response to ongoing concerns.​
At this time, and after due consideration of advice from the UK’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer which stated that “[since] the virus will not survive very long outside, many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe”, we have decided that the Festival will proceed as planned, with suitable measures and steps undertaken to provide suitable assistance to our customers in maintaining suitable hygiene, sanitation and public health steps.​
There are 2 immediate concerns expressed by customers that we wish to address at this time and provide definite reassurance to our valued supporters:-​
1) The Festival will proceed as planned without cancellation and, in as far as is within our control, on the original date, though it goes without saying that should Government and scientific advice change and the date were to become unsuitable for a public gathering, the Festival will run with the shortest possible postponement. Postponement will only be if Government advice, contrary to its current position, is to suggest that it would be unsafe on its current date and [postponement] would then be for the shortest time possible before the Festival takes place.​
2) In the event that any of our customers are unable to attend the Festival due to self-isolation as a result of infection or possible infection, we will honour that same ticket to the next Festival without any further costs or fees. We hope our customers appreciate that this is a major step not replicated by many other festivals and is indicative of our wish to stand by our customers through this time, as we hope they stand by us.​
Public Health England have been very clear in their message that improved personal hygiene, awareness of symptoms and self-isolation for those affected are the primary steps on which the UK’s response will focus. To support this and assist our customers, we are already committed and have begun work towards the following:-​
• A substantial up-scaling of hygiene facilities available at the festival including hand sanitising points and hand washing stations;​
• Provision of ample signage and other information distribution in the run up to and at the Festival highlighting all public information, symptom awareness and “What to do” briefings to assist our customers in supporting our efforts to produce a safe event in line with national approaches to managing the ongoing public health concern;​
• A significant increase in the quantity of toilets, showers and other welfare facilities available;​
• Deployment of a dedicated team who will collectively clean, maintain and sanitise toilet, shower and other washing facilities 24/7 throughout the Festival;​
• A full appraisal of the current environment will be carried out by our Festival’s dedicated Medical Team who will implement such additional measures as are recommended in light of the ongoing outbreak to suitable manage any persons who may become unwell. Our consideration in respect of medical services provided remains as it always has been – we aim to ensure that our customers have quicker and easier access to medical services at our festivals than they would in their home. That objective will remain the case moving forward and we will fully commit to all suitable steps and investment to maintain it;​
• We are working actively to take sensible steps to increase the size of our event spaces and Arena, with a view to allow persons more room and decreasing close contact within the Festival.​
We would like to summarise this announcement and re-iterate the following:-​
• We are firmly committed to ensuring that the Festival takes place on its planned date, in a safe manner and with all suitable consideration and investment undertaken to place customer welfare as an uninterrupted priority;​
• Should public health advice change from its current guidance that outdoor events remain safe, we will consider postponement of the Festival to such a time that no risk is posed in this respect;​
• Even in the event that you are unable to attend the festival as a result of infection, we will voluntarily honour your ticket for the next Festival at no cost to you.​
We hope you appreciate our efforts and the steps we are taking to manage the Festival safely and sensibly; we certainly appreciate your ongoing support.​
Looking forward to seeing you all at the show.​
The Retro Festival Team​
If Newbury retro festival goes ahead I hope they sort out onsite toilets they are disgusting

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back