Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I saw this article in the paper and it made me ponder - if we are automatically fit enough to work till 75 - how come we aren't automatically fit enough to drive a large vehicle?

IF, it ever became law. It would be a criminal act. When as a 15yr old, I was given my NI Number and started work. I "Signed" a contract with the UK and its Government, to work until 65, pay my NI at the going rate and at the end of which period I would receive a pension paid by said Government. ANY attempt to alter that is a blatant BREACH OF CONTRACT.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think it's a great idea !

I'm still working ! - so does that mean I could finally retire next year ?

? ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
At least you might have time to make alternative arrangements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I was outraged when I got my pension letter just before my 65 birthday saying
“ we have deemed that you are entitled to receive BENEFIT in the sum of”
Benefit,hang on I paid for it for the full term,surely it’s a right not a benefit??
Wonder if everyone gets the same letter.
Made my blood boil.Then a month later asking for proof I was still alive.It also said I may get one every year or more frequently.
Understand they need to check stuff but I was fuming.
I did my full time at work,paid all my NI and tax plus SERPS which was a waste of money for what I got back.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
IF, it ever became law. It would be a criminal act. When as a 15yr old, I was given my NI Number and started work. I "Signed" a contract with the UK and its Government, to work until 65, pay my NI at the going rate and at the end of which period I would receive a pension paid by said Government. ANY attempt to alter that is a blatant BREACH OF CONTRACT.

Well they’ve breached my contract by raising my retirement age by two years.

They’ve also lost some of my payment years as well.
I have worked continuously since I was sixteen.

Bunch of muppets

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
This has been in the pipeline for years. IDS (sounds like a disease) put it forward when he was in the Major Government. As for calling it a Benefit, I actually complained to my MP (Graham Stuart) at one of his "surgeries" about that. His reply was about as useful (as he is) as a chocolate fireguard. The only man I know of who can fence sit on a Razor Blade.

P.s. Guess who did not vote Tory at the last election? :D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
With Ian Duncan Smith's stamp of approval how can it possibly not succeed. He washed his hands of his previous creation passing it onto his cohort Esther McVey before spending time in the doldrums planning his next garish deed. Now with his feet back under the cabinet table he cant wait to start dismantling the OAPs livelihoods. (n)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Benefits nonexistent Pension to be nonexistent, What does that leave but Food Banks folks..☢
1566196172047.png

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The daft thing is, look how much they spend on propaganda purporting to keep us alive longer ,if you take any notice of it, but then if you do happen to stay alive they don't want to give you what you are due.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes life expectancy is increasing but so too is the number of years we will live in declining health.
One of the fittest women I know finally retired a couple of years ago from teaching aged 67 (her choice). In her last year she was a physical wreck. It took her two years to recover her health ... she’s back walking and cycling now but it almost did for her.
My retirement age has been increased from 60 to 67. Big jump.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You know I am seriously "given the chance" thinking of voting for Jeromy Corbyn How much worse could it get.
That's some serious mental illness you are coming down with Buttons.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Would that be everyone, what about fireman, police, etc. If it’s only certain people as others are exempt it’s hardly very fair. It would have to be everyone or nobody as some low paid jobs would never earn enough to retire early . Especially with house prices and rent now days.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That's some serious mental illness you are coming down with Buttons.
I was talking to someone over the weekend who is very concerned, she is in her late fifties, just a few years ago she would have been planning her retirement with expectations of ending full time work after nearly 50 years in a caring profession. Now she doesn't even have a reliable retirement date to plan around. It is ok for some IDS.....
1566198463748.png

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Just prior to my 65th birthday I received a phone call from work & pensions asking if I wanted to defer my pension. My answer to them was :- Would you prefer it if I deferred it until after I fell off the perch so you can waste "MY MONEY" I don't think so you can pay it into my bank on the due date thank you. You have earned enough from my pension as it is.
Phil

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Would that be everyone, what about fireman, police, etc. If it’s only certain people as others are exempt it’s hardly very fair. It would have to be everyone or nobody as some low paid jobs would never earn enough to retire early . Especially with house prices and rent now days.
Well said Ivory55 "Everyone or Nobody." Great slogan.... (y)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
You know I am seriously "given the chance" thinking of voting for Jeromy Corbyn How much worse could it get.
:D2 Imagine posting that.

I know what you’re alluding to though Buttons, looking at the state of the parties, any moderate person is struggling to work out which of them is the ‘least’ of all evils. And it’s a very hard decision. Retiring at 75? This mob are crazy.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We made retirement plans before my strokes, wife would carry on working until 63, my 65th, then we'd both retire.

Wife got a letter saying you're now working an extra 2.5 years until your 62.5 and, while aggrieved at the loss of 2 years pension we jogged on.

Only on checking our plans 6 months before my 65th did we find out my wife now could not now retire until 64.5 years old.

Robbed of tens of thousands of pounds without notification or recourse, absolutely disgusting, but it was a way of feathering their own nests while keeping the books balanced.

Politicians, wouldn't wipe my a**e with one, would probably get an infection.

Hymie.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We made retirement plans before my strokes, wife would carry on working until 63, my 65th, then we'd both retire.

Wife got a letter saying you're now working an extra 2.5 years until your 62.5 and, while aggrieved at the loss of 2 years pension we jogged on.

Only on checking our plans 6 months before my 65th did we find out my wife now could not now retire until 64.5 years old.

Robbed of tens of thousands of pounds without notification or recourse, absolutely disgusting, but it was a way of feathering their own nests while keeping the books balanced.

Politicians, wouldn't wipe my a**e with one, would probably get an infection.

Hymie.
Terrible treatment of women. WASPI (women against state pension inequality) have taken this to the high court. If they win, this government may well gave to pay compensation,which is what they are seeking. The changes were made too quickly without giving women time to plan. Hard to see them losing to be fair.

Deleted User
Terrible treatment of women. WASPI (women against state pension inequality) have taken this to the high court. If they win, this government may well gave to pay compensation,which is what they are seeking. The changes were made too quickly without giving women time to plan. Hard to see them losing to be fair.
Whilst I agree with the injustice, mine went from 65 to 66 and my wife's from 60 to 66, I find it hard to see them (us) winning, too much money involved now. Obviously I would be delighted to be proved wrong, although I am not sure who would suffer further down the line to pay for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back