Retirement, is it a good thing? (1 Viewer)

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Is it a good thing? For us yes definitely! Everyone needs to make their own mind up what is right for them.

15 years ago I decided I had had enough. I worked for the government and had designed some pretty good stuff for them, sat on a national design group and had an input into legislation. But I was working my guts out for people who were ticking boxes on their own agendas, they probably won't even remember my name now. I realised there were other people out there just as qualified as me to have an input. I wanted a better life FOR ME.

I went to work for a charity and was home by 3pm most days and felt I made a difference to people's lives.

Five years after that my other half said they had had enough and we both quit to go travelling. We did miss the social side of work, so we did seasonal work for a few summers but now we spend about half the year away and the other half at home with the family.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Retired at 57 from very busy job as Nhs surgeon.

Don't regret it at all, though as some have said you do miss the banter and intellectual challenges.

My decision (18 months ago) was based on 2'things.

Firstly the pension was likely to be less if I worked longer for a number of daft reasons,

And secondly I realised retirement was made of 2'parts, the first where you were of good health and did what you always wanted, and the second where you waited for the clinic ambulance or dribbled into cold tea. Retiring later made the first shorter and not the second.

Oh add being on call still one night in four, getting out of bed frequently to drive to do a stressful operation after a full day's work and before a full days work, and the stress of micromanagement.

Pleased to say that funds are holding out, walking the dogs and sitting watching a sunset are remarkably cheap!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

'Life' is my 'job', my family is my life......... I have been self employed for most of my life, and still am at 70.

Once I looked forward to 'retiring early'.............. it never happened .....I still enjoy my 'life'............... my 'job' has never been a 'job'.............. my job is 'life'.... it doesn't (hasn't) change at 65........ for me

Retirement?.............. for me? ........the day I die

.........but each to his own.......(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Man 4 pages or reading all you lucky people :)
I'm 46 and already got health problems so there is no way ill be working until retirement age.
Both myself and the Missus live for retirement so the sooner that comes the better.
Heck i think ill just go and retire now and live in the MH and eat grass from the fields :) cheap or what ><
P.S not jealous of all you lucky people..............Honestly :D :D :D
Health to enjoy(y)(y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I started the retirement job about 3.5 years ago........best job I ever had, good hours, low stress, good money.....beats the hell out of working. To do the 'job' properly you need health and money, best to use your previous career path to accumulate both.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I tried it 3 years ago.......... we bought a new van ......... toured around a LOT of Europe........... back to work now :D

We have decided to spend a few more years topping up the coffers ready for the next 'proper' retirement :)

However, what does help is that I love my job and I have started a new position in a company where I get every weekend off and no more night shifts (I used to really really hate night shifts).

For us it is now a balance ........ work hard........ play hard (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if we have to retire the van would unfortunatley be one of the things that had to go only option is die in the saddle

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I stopped work some 14 years ago. I don't say retirement as for that an income is needed. Last few years I've been bored out of my mind & wouldn't mind something to do to provide an income. The wife started working again in 2012 having given up on the birth of our first daughter in 1980.
Retirement probably works if you have interests/ hobbies . As I've never had any/don't enjoy anything it will always be a struggle. With hindsight what I should have done was relocated abroad & continued working.

Apr 7, 2013
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
VWT5
Exp
I'm a newbie
I decided to take early retirement 10 years ago and I've never looked back. It can feel a bit scary at first with no structure but think of the opportunities to do new things. I do have a rule not to watch day time telly - it's total bilge anyway, and I don't drink at home on my own - can be a disastrous combination. Exception to day time telly rule for Olympics, Wimbledon etc.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No !!@/##,!keep working, us olden's need tax payers to keep us in the luxurious life style we're used to.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
There used to be a saying, 'You should get a job as a lollypop man, you don't start work 'till you're 65'!.
I've noticed lately a lot of 'young looking' 65 year olds!;)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Sitting outside of my motorhome at one of my favourite campsites looking out at the Derbyshire peak district ,there's a guy here who I met 4 years ago and he's living the retired life and loving it ,he walks and cycles for his hobbies,im feeling a tad envious ,once again I find myself mulling over the financials , its getting closer ,done the stressful jobs ,paid for three kids through uni ,do I want to jack it all in and spend my evenings like this as opposed to some back stabbing political little scrote trying to make me unhappy, you bet I do

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I tried it 3 years ago.......... we bought a new van ......... toured around a LOT of Europe........... back to work now :D

We have decided to spend a few more years topping up the coffers ready for the next 'proper' retirement :)

However, what does help is that I love my job and I have started a new position in a company where I get every weekend off and no more night shifts (I used to really really hate night shifts).

For us it is now a balance ........ work hard........ play hard (y)
Do you not want a van now for weekends and holidays?

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
As a self employed person I have been winding down for the last 2 years. Finally packed it in when we got the van earlier this year at 58, although I have to wait another couple of months to get an old company pension. I still find it hard to say no to old customers, but find we never seem to have time to do all we want anyway (like many other people, we have elderly parents to consider).
It can be remarkably reasonable to spend decent periods away in the van and I'm so glad that I haven't waited any longer, as you can never be sure how long good health will last.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Do you not want a van now for weekends and holidays?

Funny you should say that Anthea, we do find ourselves 'looking' at VW T5 vans with a view to converting one for weekend getaways etc. It would of course be much smaller than our Globecar was but really we would not want anything bigger for weekending. My 'commute' to work is only 1.5 miles and will be even less once we buy our (new to us) house so I cycle there:) so the car can go. I always felt that the bigger van was a bit of a 'bus' for shorter journeys.

Jul 21, 2016
Kernow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
New
Drove to work one day at age 55 went round the roundabout and came home again. Best roundabout ever. (y) 59 this year. Have spent the last few years touring Spain, France and UK on the bike, played a lot of golf and have now added a MH to the activities. Never looked back, just hope the money lasts :cautious:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Funny you should say that Anthea, we do find ourselves 'looking' at VW T5 vans with a view to converting one for weekend getaways etc. It would of course be much smaller than our Globecar was but really we would not want anything bigger for weekending. My 'commute' to work is only 1.5 miles and will be even less once we buy our (new to us) house so I cycle there:) so the car can go. I always felt that the bigger van was a bit of a 'bus' for shorter journeys.
Yay back into MH !! Hope to see you on the forum again! Loved your blogs and bread piccies!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Retirement means you can avoid the madhouse of August campering in Europe (y)

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
We retired last August 55 &52 haven't looked back been in the van ever since apart from 2nights !! Working on Monday for one day apparently I promised then assistant stuards for 2 wke on a c&cc rally life's good best thing we have done for a long to!e

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have always looked at retiring between 50 and 55 and although a few things have changed I'm still hopeful. I'm currently 48 (49 in November) and work shifts which I don't enjoy as much as I did, the main reason for doing shifts was our company policy was if you did shifts for more than 25 years and reached the age of 50 you could go with permission on full pension. If you didn't get permission then you could go at 55 without company permission, well come 1st of January they're stopping out final salary pension and changing the over 50 rule to over 55 so I'm missing out by 11 months. I probably wouldn't have gone at 50 as Sophie is at uni so more like 52 but now it has to be 55 unless I'm made redundant then I can get full pension if I'm over 50. So let's hope I don't get made redundant before next November.
Lorraine is a couple of years younger (I know you'll find that hard to believe) :) so if I get to 55 she will be 53. We won't have loads of money but we have no debts and live a simple life and in my opinion your health dictates how wealthy you are.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I retired last week at the tender age of 52 (although I'm 53 today) :D
Wife doing 3 days a week which she enjoys, we plan on spending more time in van & I intend to take more motorbike trips, life is good. (y)(y)
Happy birthday and happy trucking.
happy-birthday-smiley-balloons.gif

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had my "Damascus" on the A303. I woke up heading for the Armco at 60mph!!. After a week or two off work. I decided that 16hr days should stop, especially when driving for 8 of them. Made a complete nuscience of myself for a couple of years, refused to relocate to Wales!!. And eventually they said Ok, you can have your pension early. Now bugger off!. Went back to Gods Country. Spent 2years building a house. Very thereputic!!. Got bored and went agency HGV. Now fully retired. We try and use the m-h as much as we can. No regrets over going early. I have had many years of r-v img in the USA. Done several winters in espania. An now with the dolls house Rapido. We are looking to go forward again.
Lost a good mate last year to cancer who was still grafting. And another aged 40 about 25 years ago, stung by A bee and succumbed to anafalactic shock. Concentrates the mind a bit!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back