Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Our current home is a terraced house with no drive, therefore nowhere to park the MH; I keep it in storage locally.

We are planning to move house this year, for many reasons, and were looking forward to being able to keep the MH on the property. We have been told, however, that most of the estates in the area to which we were planning to move have restrictive convenants in place banning the parking of caravans and motorhomes.

We have driven round the area and there are many caravans and MHs parked there, so it seems likely that the covenants (if they exist) are not being enforced. I am most unhappy, however, about buying there since I believe that it would any take one neighbour to take exception and I could be prevented from parking my MH.

My current plan is to stress to my solicitor as and when I have a particular property in mind to establish whether any such covenants exist, and advise me accordingly. I also plan to canvass prospective neighbours to preclude as far as is possible any problems arising.

Does anone have any experience of this problem? Is there anything else I can do (other than change our plans about where to move to)?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I believe my estate has covenants in place but we have many motorhomes, boats and caravans around here on driveways. I have lived here for 22 years, never had a problem. Worth looking into and viewing any areas before you buy.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am on the move at the moment but once I stop I
Will give you my 'take' on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I have seen housing associations remove vehicles quite easily both where restrictive covenants and other rules have been in place.

They usually do this when the people concerned are regarded as nuisance families.

I personally wouldnt buy anywhere that have a restrictive covenant as to get the restrictions lifted is extremely difficult especially if you cannot trace those that originally put the covenant in place. Apparently it can also be a very expensive process too.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I always though restrictive covenant was between the builder and the 1st buyer must admit i don't really know think Chris will enlighten us when he wakes up

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Restrictive covenants are normally placed by developers of new properties in order that their houses can be sold without what they regard as the blot of caravans, boats and motorhomes.

Once all the houses are sold, whilst the covenant remains in place, the developers no longer have any interest.

Any individual householder can choose to ask a court to enforce the covenant but they can expect to have to pay court costs, hence unlikely to occur.

I speak from some experience.

Steve

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
if its the original developer and that company has gone bust you are probably ok, unless the covenant goes on to say that it is enforceable by anyone else with the benefit of the covenant - ie your neighbours.

In my road I have the right to tow away, burn or sell an offending caravan or motorhome without liability.

Not sure I would risk it though.

Just put your needs in writing to your solicitor and at least you would have a claim against them if it went wrong.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We recently parked next to an 80 year old couple who were having this very problem.
They had lived in their house for over 30 years and up to recently had always parked their (large) motorhome in their drive. They have now downsized to a converted Sprinter so this is about the size of a large van.
A house in their cul de sac was recently sold and the new owner is enforcing a covenant on the properties to stop them parking their motorhome (van) in the drive. When they said it was only the size of a normal van he said it didn't matter, it had cooking and washing facilities in it so legaly it was a motorhome. He is going to take them to court if they don't stop parking it in their drive. They cannot park it on the road as it is a cul de sac and they would be blocking everyone's access.
I felt sorry for them as they had to face all this when they went home and find a solution!
It's no good canvasing the residents who live there now as they may change in the future as houses are bought & sold.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What a charming neighbour.......:Angry:

We have covenants like a lot of places but they go back over 30 years. We take the risk as above but luckily have good neighbours at the moment.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Our current home is a terraced house with no drive, therefore nowhere to park the MH; I keep it in storage locally.

We are planning to move house this year, for many reasons, and were looking forward to being able to keep the MH on the property. We have been told, however, that most of the estates in the area to which we were planning to move have restrictive convenants in place banning the parking of caravans and motorhomes.

We have driven round the area and there are many caravans and MHs parked there, so it seems likely that the covenants (if they exist) are not being enforced. I am most unhappy, however, about buying there since I believe that it would any take one neighbour to take exception and I could be prevented from parking my MH.

My current plan is to stress to my solicitor as and when I have a particular property in mind to establish whether any such covenants exist, and advise me accordingly. I also plan to canvass prospective neighbours to preclude as far as is possible any problems arising.

Does anone have any experience of this problem? Is there anything else I can do (other than change our plans about where to move to)?

Just a thought look at local Park Home estates
many will allow Parking on site:thumb:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Odd and unnecessary most of the time.

Covenants can be enforced against subsequent owners either expressly stated that they can be or if a chain of indemnity is given and they can be enforced sometimes by other homeowners in the locality if they have the right to do so and the benefit of them.

That said they can be defeated by either delay ( someone sitting and looking at either yours or other vans or motorhomes cannot do so for a few years and suddenly take a dislike) or by the fact that many others on the estate already breach them.

Of course if they seek to enforce against you they must also do so against anyone else breaching them. Similarly they must not be in breach of either this type of covenant or any other (he who seeks equity must do so with clean hands).

They are often put in place by original developers who are looking to seek all the plots and don't want, in this case, a load of vans on the estate making it look untidy. They have little thought, or care, for what happens after they have built and sold.

It is not strictly true if the company has gone bust that they cannot be before end as the benefit of the covenant in that eventuality vests in the crown but they will not enforce.

Like wise some one seeking to enforce must have an interest in the land close to where the hoses with the benefit of the covenant is. For example someone living 100 miles away cannot seek to enforce saying your motorhome is blocking their view.

Get your solicitor to check it out and explain to you whether it is enforceable or not. Read the wrong of the covenant as most are poorly drafted and ambiguous which dies not help them either.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I'm not a lawer but as I understand it, restrictive covenants are complex beasts.

What is important is to determine who is the beneficiary of the covenant. Sometimes its each and every house owner on the estate, but it may be just the builder/developer. Its only the beneficiary who can enforce it. You need to ask your solicitor who can enforce it this covenant.

Also beware that the restriction may be regarding a planning condition imposed by the council, your solictor should be able to check this as part of the local searches.

Good luck
Gordon

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
covenant

Hi all
I live in a new build no large vans or sign written vans no m/h or caravans and i go along with this rule we paid 225000 for our house to be able to live on a nice estate who wants a transit with ladders on parked out side front window all day and night .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We recently parked next to an 80 year old couple who were having this very problem.
They had lived in their house for over 30 years and up to recently had always parked their (large) motorhome in their drive. They have now downsized to a converted Sprinter so this is about the size of a large van.
A house in their cul de sac was recently sold and the new owner is enforcing a covenant on the properties to stop them parking their motorhome (van) in the drive. When they said it was only the size of a normal van he said it didn't matter, it had cooking and washing facilities in it so legaly it was a motorhome. He is going to take them to court if they don't stop parking it in their drive. They cannot park it on the road as it is a cul de sac and they would be blocking everyone's access.
I felt sorry for them as they had to face all this when they went home and find a solution!
It's no good canvasing the residents who live there now as they may change in the future as houses are bought & sold.

you can choose your friends but you can't choose your neighbours....

I would let them sweat it out and continue parking at home.

Their choice if they continue the legal action threat but it's going to cost them big money through the courts...let alone their solicitors fee....and I doubt cost would be awarded against the old couple as they would be able to prove they have parked at home for many years without problems.

I can see the new neighbours being as welcome as a pork pie in a synagogue.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

I would not ask anyone I would just park, its only houses built in the last 30 years that have this in the deeds and the early ones just mention caravans, a friend has been through this and I read a case in a feature concerning a caravan, its a civil matter and very expensive to pursue, the first bits easy as someone pays £100 to get a threatening letter sent by a solicitor. after that the big bucks start, this is not a magistrates court job they have to take a private action against you which involves instructing a proper high court brief, solicitors usually suggest talking to try to settle it and avoid the huge costs involved.
Its in my lease and I have a 8.5m x 3.5m moho parked in my drive and a lot of houses round me have caravans & moho's on there drives

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all
I live in a new build no large vans or sign written vans no m/h or caravans and i go along with this rule we paid 225000 for our house to be able to live on a nice estate who wants a transit with ladders on parked out side front window all day and night .

Half the value of our pile and it doesn't bother me my sign written work van is parked outside most nights and weekends. :roflmto:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Half the value of our pile and it doesn't bother me my sign written work van is parked outside most nights and weekends. :roflmto:

I think would only be able to enforce action against a commercial vehicle parking, I understand that only kicks in if its over 3.5tgvw, a lot of people use vans as private vehicles instead of cars

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks funsters for a very interesting topic.

They say you learn something new everyday,

Just checked, we don't have one on our mansion, so we are ok. But they are a funny breed those non motorhoming neighbours, :Doh:

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have had some experience of this. Be aware, the original Builder may sign over Covenant enforcement to a Management Company. If so, they have equal rights to enforce said Covenant.

Legal advice suggests if no one has complained after 6 years, a presedent has been set, and you can refer to a previous test case, which was challenged in court, and won. Under 5 years, not much chance of challenging successfully.

Wording of Covenants usually has a "catch-all" such as "no Caravans, Trailers, Boats, or SIMILAR CHATTELLS" ...that last bit can be made to apply to anything at all ! Worth noting, any MH that is taxed and insured can be legally parked on the roadway (I think under 3.5 tons, over gets more complicated)

Of course, if you are a current MH owner, don't even consider a house with any such restrictions...

It can all become a very stressful situation...in which case, walk away and rent some Storage.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In our last house which was a new build one of my neighbours mentioned to me that he didn't think my motorhome should be parked on my drive even though he couldn't see it from anyone's house, I never heard anymore when I mentioned about his sign written works van and that he should check this before checking mine.

I think if these covenants where ever to be enforce there would be a big problem for a lot of house holds, our one had things like not allowed a shed over certain size no pet rabbits or chickens in garden, no hedge or fence round front garden.

Why not get your solicitor to write to whoever and ask permission to park your mh as I'm sure they can do that.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a property where the original developer restricted any building on corner plots, the developer is no longer around and I and many others have since built additional corner builds. Planning were happy that this rule was only enforceable by the original developer so it is worth checking.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi all

About half the value of our place and my next door neighbour has two Vivaro builders vans, one car and one trailer parked outside one of my windows and I don't care. At least he works for a living and isn't sponging off other tax payers. He doesn't mind our motorhome parked at my place either.
Incidentally, I sold him the house, as I owned it, and I have never had a problem with him at all. I had no idea he would be parking vans there and he had no idea I would be parking a motorhome, Land Rover and motorbikes next door to him either.
Live and let live sometimes :thumb:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
I would not ask anyone I would just park, its only houses built in the last 30 years that have this in the deeds and the early ones just mention caravans, a friend has been through this and I read a case in a feature concerning a caravan, its a civil matter and very expensive to pursue, the first bits easy as someone pays £100 to get a threatening letter sent by a solicitor. after that the big bucks start, this is not a magistrates court job they have to take a private action against you which involves instructing a proper high court brief, solicitors usually suggest talking to try to settle it and avoid the huge costs involved.
Its in my lease and I have a 8.5m x 3.5m moho parked in my drive and a lot of houses round me have caravans & moho's on there drives

That I am afraid is not only wrong but complete rubbish. Supposing he follows your advice and the venant is enforceable and e as to move. Are you going to underwrite his legal fees and storage costs. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just to clarify.. for legal purposes..

a motorhome, campervan, whatver you call it, .. no matter the size is defined as a caravan

LEGAL DEFINITION OF A CARAVAN
Section 29 (1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 a caravan is defined as

"... any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and[HI] any motor vehicle so designed or adapted[/HI] but does not include:

a) Any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or

b) Any tent."

This definition was modified by Section 13 (1) of the Caravan Sites Act 1968 ("The 1968 Act"), which deals with twin-unit caravans. Section 13 (1) provides that a caravan is:

"A structure designed or adapted for human habitation which:
a) Is composed of not more than two sections separately constructed and designed to be assembled on a site by means of bolts, clamps or other devices;

and

b) Is, when assembled, physically capable of being moved by road from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer), shall not be treated as not being (or not having been) a caravan within the meaning of Part 1 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 by reason only that it cannot lawfully be moved on a highway when assembled."

Section 13(2) of the 1968 Act also prescribes the following maximum dimensions for "twin unit caravans":

(a) length (exclusive of any drawbar); 60 feet (18.288 metres);

(b) width: 20 feet (6.096 metres);

(c) overall height of living accommodation (measured internally from the floor at the lowest level to the ceiling at the highest level): 10 feet (3.048 metres).

From 1 October 2006 in England The Caravan Sites Act 1968 and Social Landlords (Permissible Additional Purposes) (England) Order 2006 (Definition of Caravans) (Amendment) (England) Order 2006 [SI 2006 No 2374] further amended section 13(2) of the Caravan Sites Act 1968 by increasing the maximum dimensions of a structure that can be defined as a “twin unit caravan” to:

(a) length (exclusive of drawbar): 20.00 metres (65.616 feet);

(b) width 6.80 metres (22.309 feet);

(c) height: 3.05 metres (10.006 feet).

Subsequently these revised dimensions have also been adopted by the National Assembly for Wales.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
That I am afraid is not only wrong but complete rubbish. Supposing he follows your advice and the venant is enforceable and e as to move. Are you going to underwrite his legal fees and storage costs. :Doh:

As with everything on here its my opinion and if your comment held water nobody would be able to give any advice on any subject in case a problem happened following the said advice and a lawsuit followed :winky:

Happy days, off to Houghton le Spring tonight for a dog show until Monday, hope the weather improves

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Of course the Doctrine of Laches could apply whereby if the beneficiary of a covenant has not enforced his right for a period of time, then it could be deemed that the right has been lost. When I was working, 20 years was the norm but that may have changed. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Covenants mentioning caravans aren't always banning them. A previous house I had restricted caravans, but only by not allowing them to be occupied, with about a paragraph of text carefully allowing it to be occupied when doing major business works or to let the kids sleep in overnight occasionally.

Personally, I wouldn't want to keep the RV on the drive. Everytime you travel, you might as well hang a sign on your door saying "gone on holiday for two weeks, please break into my house". You can guarantee the local scrotes have taken a note of where caravans are normally on drives. I prefer to spend the extra 350 quid and get the security (plus 3 additional car parking spaces).

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

I do hope you can find one.i park my one on our drive.the nutters next door,told the council.i was living in it. they was told I could do want I with it. hip hip. I hope you have same luck. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks to all who responded, haven't been able to post for a few days as was away and had no internet access.

Plenty of valuable advice as usual on these forums - I shall ensure I am advised by a solicitor on the exact nature of whatever convenant may apply to a prospective new home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back