Rest in peace Oyster (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had a Oyster dish for years but since the footprint was reduced have not bothered to put on our latest van. I notice in Spain its mostly German,Dutch etc that still use them.A lot of brits including us now use the internet for our tv.Either site wifi or our 15gb mobile allowance.Many sites improving their internet now.
The van we have now came with a Sat dome and its good for UK and some of France then its on with the wi fi for everywhere else.
Plenty of tv apps around .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting, we find we can quite often use our portable Digital ariel for UK TV but use the Oyster for TV off either Astra2 or Astra1 further into Spain.

How many Gb or Mb does an hour of TV take/need.

We could loose about 200mm off the van height without a dish(y)

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've got a little whip aerial on the roof with an amplifier. We usually pick up Spanish channels and some are in English. Paramount Films & Disney channel are just 2 I can remember.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Depends on quality of picture I think but the wife gets three to four half hour episode's from one gb.We also use it for radio and that takes a lot less.We are not stuck on telly so it is enough for us .We use EE.
Our old dish worked great down in Malaga until footprint change.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are still using our oyster 85cm dish down in Spain works well only can’t get BBC and ITV.
Problem with people streaming on WiFi is that it uses up all the bandwidth at sites and makes it very annoying when you can’t even get your emails as the WiFi keeps dropping out.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are still using our oyster 85cm dish down in Spain works well only can’t get BBC and ITV.
Problem with people streaming on WiFi is that it uses up all the bandwidth at sites and makes it very annoying when you can’t even get your emails as the WiFi keeps dropping out.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I can use our Oyster dish in Algarve, but can only get Sky news and some shopping channels. So in the evening, lightly chilled or a film on Hard Drive or both rule. :)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I've a friend who has an oyster 85cm dish on his mh roof, a Black Ultra Inverto RT lnb, a Strong (french brand) satellite box, and he gets BBC and ITV programs south of Murcia from Astra 2.
In the same cicumstances, barring the Strong satbox, I can't get a signal. Bloody annoying.

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I've a friend who has an oyster 85cm dish on his mh roof, a Black Ultra Inverto RT lnb, a Strong (french brand) satellite box, and he gets BBC and ITV programs south of Murcia from Astra 2.
In the same cicumstances, barring the Strong satbox, I can't get a signal. Bloody annoying.
Dont forget the further south you go the more skew needed on the LNB ......so for another 50€ +/- you can get BBC ITV further south from here might give it a go .....

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
if you subscribe to SKY there is still a wide selection of TV channels available all over the Iberian peninsular which can be received on an 85cm dish .
We get Sky Movies , Sky Sports , SKY 1 , SKY 2 , Atlantic , Living , History , National Geographic , Sky News , Gold and a whole host more .
if you only have Freesat there is very little to watch apart from a few News and shopping channels

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Summer in France without TV - perfect. Why spoil a beautiful view, cheese, pate and, of course, wine with Eastender!!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have an Aldi, portable dish and Mini box, which has been used twice. Both times to watch a Rugby League Cup Final!. HULL won!. (once). I think Leeds won the other?.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks guys, reading your comments has just saved us £3750.00 for a new Oyster dish with twin LNB, we dont have a Sky Box either as we are with VMedia. I suppose if we do fit the Avtex TV to new van it will be to watch the news whilst in The UK, and DVD,s when abroad.....on rainy, haily days only and we dont do the soaps...we just argue a lot to pass the time:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Les

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Vodafone 30gb. 30 day sim for us in a dongle. As cheap or cheaper than site wifi.
I hr program uses about 800mb. We get all BBC .ITV channels even though connected to VodaES.
Barrie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back