Reset instructions for Oyster satellite - Astra change (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
The Astra 2 satellite has switched off frequency 11876H

The nice Anthony from Oyster tech has offered help as per this forum.

I also found the following instructions on the web from Jacksonuk:

I have an Oyster 3 and am a complete klutz when it comes to this sort of tech.

HOWEVER, I've only gone and done it!!!
I followed the instructions with heart in mouth (but without correct frequency the satellite won't work anyway) and at the second attempt it only jolly well worked.

Happy days :Grin:

and no I won't take responsibility if you skew up!

Attachments

• reset instructions for Oyster Visions II that wont lock to Astra 2.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,002

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon,

Glad you got your system up and running however I would strongly advise Oyster users NOT to use these “update sheets” to alter the settings on your system.
The sheet indeed does explain how to access the menu structure and how to make changes to the search transponders however, firstly it isn’t necessarily up to date so you may be making things worse and secondly, although the sheet explains what to do it doesn’t detail the rest of the options in this “hidden” (for a reason) menu or what to do if you accidentally alter something you shouldn’t.
If you make any changes that affect the operation of the system or damage it in any way then Warranty would be voided if still applicable.

At the end of the day, for peace of mind, ring us! We will happily talk you through the process for no charge and you can be safe in the knowledge that the system will not be adversely affected.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good afternoon,

Glad you got your system up and running however I would strongly advise Oyster users NOT to use these “update sheets” to alter the settings on your system.
The sheet indeed does explain how to access the menu structure and how to make changes to the search transponders however, firstly it isn’t necessarily up to date so you may be making things worse and secondly, although the sheet explains what to do it doesn’t detail the rest of the options in this “hidden” (for a reason) menu or what to do if you accidentally alter something you shouldn’t.
If you make any changes that affect the operation of the system or damage it in any way then Warranty would be voided if still applicable.

At the end of the day, for peace of mind, ring us! We will happily talk you through the process for no charge and you can be safe in the knowledge that the system will not be adversely affected.
Having changed the trasponder QRG's before I am happy to do so again, but cannot find what the new frequency and polarity should be.
I have three different settings all from supposed good info sites
Those I have are:
12051 vertical
11914 horizontal
11261 vertical

all with a symbol rate of 27500

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I called Anthony to change my settings.
He took me through the process step by step and made it so easy.

Well worth a call IMHO.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Good afternoon,

thanks for your help last week at the NEC .Where technology is concerned im useless:LOL: .Without your help i would probably still be on the CMC temp site spinning around:LOL::rolleyes:
thanks again Anthony.
regards Brian & Jo

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Having changed the trasponder QRG's before I am happy to do so again, but cannot find what the new frequency and polarity should be.
I have three different settings all from supposed good info sites
Those I have are:
12051 vertical
11914 horizontal
11261 vertical

all with a symbol rate of 27500

Afternoon Jaws,
(Feel like I'm in a Bond movie!!)

The first two frequencies you've listed are no longer active on Astra 2 and the third isn't a frequency used on Astra 2 at all.

The four frequencies I am currently recommending to use with Astra 2 are as follows:

Frequency 11265, Polarisation V, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 2/3, IQ 1
Frequency 11836, Polarisation H, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1
Frequency 12207, Polarisation V, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1
Frequency 11307, Polarisation H, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1

Note: Please understand that the hidden menu that you are required to enter in order to make the necessary changes is hidden for good reason as it contains other settings that could alter your systems behaviour should they be altered accidentally. Please only carry out the changes if you know what you are doing, otherwise just call out office and we will be happy to talk you through it free of charge.
If you do make changes and something goes wrong that requires attention to the system then unfortunately this would not done under any warranty that may still be left.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Afternoon Jaws,

Well Mr Anthony, I did not expect you to talk, I expect you to die( Ok ok, Jaws was not in Goldfinger but hey ho !!!! LOL!!!!)

Many thanks for the info.. I should be able to sort it from that :)

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I called Anthony to change my settings.
He took me through the process step by step and made it so easy.

Well worth a call IMHO.

Bless!

If I'd known he'd be that helpful I wouldn't have bothered trying by my self.
But my usual experience* is endlessly waiting for a phone to be answered, listening to Handel, then a promise to be called back which never happens.

*Not Oyster tech

p.s. but it did work!

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Bladerunner I appreciate that these days taking ten minutes a call to a company usually wastes a couple of hours of your life listening to recorded messages, however we aren't like that.
We are a small arm of the manufacturers "Ten-Haaft" with only a small, but dedicated crew of people here to assist our customers with any problems they may experience with their Oyster systems.

We currently have two lines into our office and no recorded messages other than the answerphone for after hours so unless both lines are busy you will always get a human from the off and we usually answer fairly quickly.

In this case I know you have already solved the problem but if you or anyone else has any need to contact us then please believe that doing so will not involve you listening to recorded messages for half the day.

Randommoose

Free Member
Sep 17, 2017
Funster No
Hi,
I have also recently found out about the Astra update. Our satellite is still locking on and some channels work but it has lost other channels.
According to the Jacksonsuk update instructions on their website our software is an older version and it needs updating (by them for a cost).

Is this still something you can help with over the phone @Anthony OysterTech ? If so then I will give you a ring to sort it out.

Thanks,
Moose :)

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Randommoose,

It’s worth giving us a ring in the office yes.
As long as you have a Vision II, Vision III or Digital then we can update it. The only reason it may cost is if it’s a Vision II with software older than August 2008 as software that old does not have the menu structure that holds the hidden update menu. It will also cost a considerable amount of it’s a Vision I as that system is obsolete and can only be resurrected by upgrading to Vision II.
Like I say, if you give us a ring in the morning we can discuss your options.

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Hi @Anthony OysterTech , I am still nursing my Oyster 1 setup and I always seem to be able to latch on to a signal ok by letting the dish find Astra 1 then manually tuning by moving the dish right about 6 pushes on the button and maybe down one. With the latest changes to satellite positions any idea if my adjustment method will need changing? Thanks in advance.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Bless!

If I'd known he'd be that helpful I wouldn't have bothered trying by my self.
But my usual experience* is endlessly waiting for a phone to be answered, listening to Handel, then a promise to be called back which never happens

I know :)

Isn't it great to find a company that actually has a good customer relations and happy to help free of charge (y)

I have nothing but praise for the way I was treated and the speed at which it was done (y)

Im more than happy to criticise when you get poor service and happy to praise when its good.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
XRN your setup shouldn’t change for the worse unless the Germans make a change that affects Astra 1. In fact many people with Vision I systems have found that, depending on software version, that the changes to Astra 2 have brought their system back to life.
Because of the way the system locks, it’s worth trying it on an automatic search for Astra 2 with your receiver set to Sky news and if that doesn’t work try it with the receiver set to BBC 1 London. You may be pleasantly surprised.
P.s if your using a Sky box the process is different but give me a ring in the office and I’ll be happy to talk you through it to see if yours will work.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Afraid I'm not really up on Kathrein systems however most automatic Satellite systems work in a similar way so I would assume that it locks using transponder frequencies also. If that's the case then it's entirely possible that the changes have affected it and if so it I would assume it requires an update of some sort.
Have you tried contacting Roadpro?? They deal with Kathrein systems and may be able to give you further advise. Their number is 01327312233

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hi @Anthony OysterTech - do these Astra changes affect all systems ? Do you know anything about the Kathrein systems (CAP910 such as this one: https://www.kathrein.de/en/sat/product/20310022/) i.e. if or how they should be updated ?
Thanks
I have a SatFi system and the latest shift in frequency affected mine too. It was a very quick fix to change the frequency to 11836.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Alan Dennison

Free Member
Dec 23, 2017
Funster No
Afternoon Jaws,

The first two frequencies you've listed are no longer active on Astra 2 and the third isn't a frequency used on Astra 2 at all.

The four frequencies I am currently recommending to use with Astra 2 are as follows:

Frequency 11265, Polarisation V, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 2/3, IQ 1
Frequency 11836, Polarisation H, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1
Frequency 12207, Polarisation V, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1
Frequency 11307, Polarisation H, Symbol rate 27500, FEC 5/6, IQ 1

Note: Please understand that the hidden menu that you are required to enter in order to make the necessary changes is hidden for good reason as it contains other settings that could alter your systems behaviour should they be altered accidentally. Please only carry out the changes if you know what you are doing, otherwise just call out office and we will be happy to talk you through it free of charge.
If you do make changes and something goes wrong that requires attention to the system then unfortunately this would not done under any warranty that may still be left.
This worked beautifully so thanks Anthony

Alan Dennison

Free Member
Dec 23, 2017
Funster No
Just tried this after trying another so called fix and this worked immediately so thanks very much Anthony, you are the Mr Fixit 2017 for me.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A lady at Oyster, on the phone, helped me update the settings on our dish, about five years ago. It has worked fine, and still does, to this day. Why am I not being affected by these changes ?

Lucky me perhaps. :)

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
A lady at Oyster, on the phone, helped me update the settings on our dish, about five years ago. It has worked fine, and still does, to this day. Why am I not being affected by these changes ?

Lucky me perhaps. :)

It's because you own a Winni.......... thingy !! :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

(Still cannot bring myself to say it) (y)(y)

Last edited:

PDA

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2008
Just got my MH out of winter sleep and my Oyster will not now lock onto Astra 2, however is fine when locking onto Astra 1! Would welcome some suggestions please. I have read the above messages but admit to being a bit lost as to what to do next.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
There should be 4 preset frequencies for Astra 2 stored in the system.

The dish will search for about 20 mins then swap to the next stored frequency.

However, there is a short cut where you can toggle through the stored frequencies on the control panel. My system is an Oyster Vision 2 so later models may be different.

With dish searching, press right arrow and HOLD. With the right arrow held......press left arrow and toggle through the available frequencies.

You might be unlucky and find the remaining 3 frequencies are also out of date.

In which case phone Anthony and he will guide you through the update process.

I believe the most recent changes in frequencies for Astra 2 was more than 12 months ago. When did you last use it?

PS. Suggest @PDA subscribes to MHFUN, lots of helpful advice on here.

Last edited:

PDA

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you both (SO & WA) for the very helpful advice. My system seems to just search and do nothing! I will give Anthony a call and check it out with him on Monday.
I last used my system last November when it was fine, but have had a flat battery since then so maybe something happend then?
Kind regards

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If your dish already locks onto Astra 1 the basic system would appear to be working OK.

As you are probably aware, Astra 2 satellite is a bit further east by 10 degrees. Might be worth checking the unobstructed line of sight before phoning Anthony. Just a thought.

If it was working ok last November it should be ok now, as i can't recall any recent frequency changes.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were at Burrs Country Park in November with the dish up and Astra 2 selected. The wind got up so I dropped the dish as a precaution. Next day tried to put the dish up but it wouldn't lock on to anything. Will have to give Anthony at Oyster Tech a ring when I go to storage next.

PDA

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2008
WA, thanks for that sensible advice. It is definately worth a try, although I think that it is unobstructed. Thanks again. P

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back