reset a lap top to factory setings (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Mine was in settings bill ,,,

Restore to an earlier point in time or factory settings ! Can't be of any further help I'm afraid mate, keep your chin up bill,!! X

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sure someone will be along soon Bill with proper instructions - but I wanted to make sure that you know you will wipe off all your data, such as photos & documents.
The best advice is to save anything you want to keep, anything irreplaceable to external storage such as a HDD or a DVD or a USB stick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm sure someone will be along soon Bill with proper instructions - but I wanted to make sure that you know you will wipe off all your data, such as photos & documents.
The best advice is to save anything you want to keep, anything irreplaceable to external storage such as a HDD or a DVD or a USB stick.
Another thing, why?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do a google putting in your model. Depending how old it is it might have a recovery disc.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
OK.

Time for a numpty question

My Dell Inspiron Laptop has developed major problems, taking up to 15 minutes from switching on to be usable. System Restore does not help.

We moved house recently and the restore disc has gone missing so I cannot reset to factory settings using it.

Is there any way I can get back to a functional laptop? I don't mind losing data as I can backup my essential stuff before doing any reset.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK.

My Dell Inspiron Laptop has developed major problems, taking up to 15 minutes from switching on to be usable. System Restore does not help.

We moved house recently and the restore disc has gone missing so I cannot reset to factory settings using it.

Is there any way I can get back to a functional laptop? I don't mind losing data as I can backup my essential stuff before doing any reset.
@Gromett will talk you through installing Linux - but seriously, it is a valid option. There will be a learning curve but for normal stuff it will be fine - and quick. :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
OK.

How far back are you going with system restore? Go back as far as you can 1st.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK.

There may well be a reset partition on the hard drive carrying the info needed to get back to original condition. Try restarting and at the same time repeatedly press F8 at top of keyboard , this should bring up various options including reset to factory settings.
If possible save any files photos etc to disc or card before as this operation will format the hard drive.
Good luck.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
How far back are you going with system restore? Go back as far as you can 1st.
I have tried everyone in storage. Some simply don't improve the situation, others "fail" during the attempted reset. I have run out of restore points.:oops:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There may well be a reset partition on the hard drive carrying the info needed to get back to original condition. Try restarting and at the same time repeatedly press F8 at top of keyboard , this should bring up various options including reset to factory settings.
If possible save any files photos etc to disc or card before as this operation will format the hard drive.
Good luck.
I have done this but F8 does not work. It leads to a screen saying select something (can't remember what without going back into the system) to reset. Doing so just pushes the laptop back into startup mode. Searching on computer help Forums brings up the info that F8 does not allow reset on many Dell Inspiron. There is even a message from Dell saying that the F8 reset procedure should be omitted from future user manuals as it is no longer current for those models.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Gromett will talk you through installing Linux - but seriously, it is a valid option. There will be a learning curve but for normal stuff it will be fine - and quick. :)
I don't mind having a go at Linux.

Will it work as a "clean" install ie not be affected by whatever is currently happening within windows?

If I save important work to a memory stick and reinstall after installing Linux will I be able to access them via Linux?

I am quite competent at most basic computer actions but currently am stumped.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have done this but F8 does not work. It leads to a screen saying select something (can't remember what without going back into the system) to reset. Doing so just pushes the laptop back into startup mode. Searching on computer help Forums brings up the info that F8 does not allow reset on many Dell Inspiron. There is even a message from Dell saying that the F8 reset procedure should be omitted from future user manuals as it is no longer current for those models.

Ok try F7 possibly different options , if one option is OS ie Vista or Windows 7 click for further options.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Larrynwin
Thanks, will give it a go.

It's odd but, after a very slow startup, possibly as much as 15 minutes from switch on to usability, it runs applications quite quickly. It has an i5 processor and plenty of available memory, runnng 64 bit Windows 7.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
@Larrynwin
Thanks, will give it a go.

It's odd but, after a very slow startup, possibly as much as 15 minutes from switch on to usability, it runs applications quite quickly. It has an i5 processor and plenty of available memory, runnng 64 bit Windows 7.

I have been going through the same with a HP laptop 64bit i5 W7 , I have taken it back to original factory settings , it works for a time then crashes again so I'm giving up on it. A shame as it's a decent PC.
I wonder if OS is time loaded to pack up so we have to replace ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Try booting into safe mode, see if it starts faster.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Try booting into safe mode, see if it starts faster.
Thanks.

I've done that too, several times. I have also cleaned out all non-essential programmes, run clean-up, disc check, disc defrag, and registry cleaner. A full virus check and malware scan has also been performed.

I think I have done everything that is considered " normal" in this case, but, without the backup discs I am stuck.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks.

I've done that too, several times. I have also cleaned out all non-essential programmes, run clean-up, disc check, disc defrag, and registry cleaner. A full virus check and malware scan has also been performed.

I think I have done everything that is considered " normal" in this case, but, without the backup discs I am stuck.

As mentioned above with my laptop I do have the original backup discs which I produced when new and they do not work.

Might be worth considering another programme disc , they are available on eBay.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As mentioned above with my laptop I do have the original backup discs which I produced when new and they do not work.

Might be worth considering another programme disc , they are available on eBay.
I wasn't aware you could buy them. Will have a look. Thanks.(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Don't buy off ebay, it may have malware installed on it.
Thanks but my computer is virtually useless as is.

I have already ordered a "new, boxed version, unopened with full licence key" from a seller with 7793 sales @ 99.1% satisfaction rating.

I will try to reset, than run full virus and malware scans before loading any sensitive info.

I will post on here what I experience in the hope it will help others either to use, or avoid, this method.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer my query. Excellent response as usual.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A daft question but have you got it automatically connecting to the internet on start up? I've had issues with this so now manually connect and it has solved my 'slow starting' problems. It appears that sometimes when it's set as auto connect it tries to find updates and causes problems (trying to do too much at once without having had it's Weetabix!) ... worth a go.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks but my computer is virtually useless as is.

I have already ordered a "new, boxed version, unopened with full licence key" from a seller with 7793 sales @ 99.1% satisfaction rating.

I will try to reset, than run full virus and malware scans before loading any sensitive info.

I will post on here what I experience in the hope it will help others either to use, or avoid, this method.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer my query. Excellent response as usual.

You could have downloaded it for free directly from Microsofts website :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

... can you cancel the order?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back