Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Hi folks,
we‘re just a couple of weeks away from owning our own MH (after hiring a couple of times) and are getting really excited!

One thing that’s come up in our conversations is the idea of family/friends asking to borrow the van.

We’re generally very generous people, loaning tents, my beer fridge is your beer fridge - but this has suddenly got us spooked as naturally amongst our family/friends we have people who are bad drivers; clumsy; forgetful; not practical; etc. We do know some people much better than us at all of those too!

So, how do people deal with this?

much appreciated,
Heeb

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
the answer is always a firm but polite NO.

Unless you taught your daughters so well that they can tip their head to the left side, look slightly up to the right and say please in a manner that would melt your heart.

It is at this point you know you are like putty in their hands and have to remind them that you uprated the vehicle in order that you would not succumb to such nefariously taught tactics in order to get their own way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hi folks,
we‘re just a couple of weeks away from owning our own MH (after hiring a couple of times) and are getting really excited!

One thing that’s come up in our conversations is the idea of family/friends asking to borrow the van.

We’re generally very generous people, loaning tents, my beer fridge is your beer fridge - but this has suddenly got us spooked as naturally amongst our family/friends we have people who are bad drivers; clumsy; forgetful; not practical; etc. We do know some people much better than us at all of those too!

So, how do people deal with this?

much appreciated,
Heeb
We used to lend out our caravan only to family when we had one . Oh and one couple of friends that believe me the year before was a real bad year for them .

any way a caravan. And a few bits of cash stashed out in the caravan for them.
just as surprises and they came back when they were ready 3 weeks later..

family used it as and when they asked. Eventually sold the caravan to family for £1. but even now it is getting some good use. And we can use it if we want to…

problem was the car also went with it. Well was a bit of a problem we hired one in the end.

only ever had a few problems that was wear and tear.

would I lend out the Moho to family. After spending a lot of time and cash refurbishing it …………
Yes I guess I would. And we kept the car as well bought it just to tow the caravan with but seems everyone has their own now.

but each to their own if you don’t feel comfortable lending it out than the simple answer is No.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
It can be a dilemma. Friendships have ended over such matters. No matter how well you think you can judge a person, no-one will treat your pride and joy the way you do. If it gets damaged when you drive it, it's your fault. If it gets damaged while they're driving it, it's their fault, BUT it can lead to major arguments and fall-outs. It's just not worth the aggro.
When friends have asked us if they can borrow our van I have always made a joke of the fact that I am prepared to do house exchanges with total strangers, but I just can't consider anyone else using my motorhome. Strange, but true.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
For me it would be a sorry no too much invested to risk to a another.
It's a case of what if this should happen.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We lent out our whole house once to friends whilst we were away for a month and they were between properties.

They generally looked after it okay, but frankly were no where near as appreciative of the loan as we would have been, which kind of soured the whole experience a little…

As for the Motorhome, no way, not ever, for anyone, full stop! It’s our space…

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have always said that my insurance only covered me (which it does) and if they want to get a quote from a couple of reputable companies, I might consider it.
After getting the quote for 3wks, they are usually put off. :giggle:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ours is 7.49 tonnes so none of our family have licences to drive it… phew!!! 😄

We did loan our caravan and car out before we got our first motorhome though.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Interesting the borrowing type of people.

They are quite happy to let others invest bin a motorhome, tools, tents etc etc.
Then use said items whilst they spend their hard earned on other things.

The above sounds harsh but having spent my working years buying kit, I never lend it out.
Most tradesmen are of the same mindset 😊

So it’s a no from me 😉😊

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When they can prove to me beyond all doubt that Elvis is still alive and living on the moon, then I'll maybe think about it. (y)

A friend of ours and his wife hired a motorhome a few times and every time they took it back with damage.
Nothing big, a wing mirror one time, a locker handle another, but it was down to them not being used to motorhomes.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We lend our T5 transporter to our sil and family to go to Somerset on holiday as thier car is tiny...

Full tank of fuel etc....came back empty!

We lent out our whole house once to friends whilst we were away for a month and they were between properties.

They generally looked after it okay, but frankly were no where near as appreciative of the loan as we would have been, which kind of soured the whole experience a little…

As for the Motorhome, no way, not ever, for anyone, full stop! It’s our space…

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
We love our son dearly but when he asked if he’d get a shot of it hubby said no. It was difficult but there’s so much to learn about using it and I don’t think he’d have the patience. He’s been hard on our cars in the past so it’s a definite no to anyone.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No way. Happy to lend the adult children my car plus a tent but that’s quite enough. Maybe if it was an old tatty one we would I suppose but it’s not and we’re never likely to have one like that so the issue won’t arise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maybe if it was an old tatty one we would I suppose but it’s not and we’re never likely to have one like that so the issue won’t arise.
You will if they borrow it. :rofl:

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
no i would not lend mine to anyone,it could come back with a burnt out clutch or something expensive to fix, let them hire one,

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We allow our kids and their families to use our house whenever they like, whether we’re home or away.

We’ve allowed our kids to drive our cars. I even let my son, when he was 18 years old, ride my pride and joy Fazer 1000 and still let him take mine or my wife’s bike out.

However, our home on wheels? Never, no, no, no, no chance, no, no, no. ;)

Both my sons have dogs as well to carry.:censored:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back